British Youtubers Visit Charlotte

On 6/6/2022 at 1:50 PM, CLT2014 said:

Some of the things needed to make Charlotte / NC an easier place to visit for overseas tourists (besides marketing):

1. More robust public transportation / walkability in our big cities. Cities like Charlotte and Raleigh are easy to visit for regional visitors that drive into the city with their cars or Americans that rent cars. International visitors are less likely to rent a car and drive in a country where they don't know the laws and you may need to swap the side of the road.  Locations like Freedom Park, South Park, Carowinds, the Whitewater Center, NASCAR team tours, et... are all hard to get to without a car. International visitors tend to gravitate towards cities like New York, Boston, San Francisco, Chicago, Seattle, Miami Beach, et... where they can walk AND you aren't necessarily a complete freak for walking. These bloggers consistently mentioned how they were one of the only walkers and how car focused Charlotte is unless you are right on the rail trail. To compete, Charlotte needs shuttle services every 30 minutes to locations like the Whitewater Center that are geared towards tourists. 
  2. Tour buses to regional destinations... getting to the local mountains or beaches is virtually impossible without a car. We don't have an infrastructure of tour operators running trips out of Charlotte or Raleigh to area destinations.  Hence visitors pick locations like Yosemite, where there are 20+ tour companies running trips out of San Francisco into the National Park on a tour bus. If you want a beach trip, Florida is able to combine "big city" and "beach" in a more manageable trip because there are airport shuttles, whereas our beaches are very far from the airport and don't have shuttles for people without a car. Tour operators running a day trip to Blowing Rock and back would be very helpful... today you must rent a car. A tour like this may require a state subsidy in its infancy to start building demand. 
  3. Improve our inventory of "things to do" on websites like TripAdvisor... the list drops off fast. We need quality attractions so when potential visitors explore our city on trusted websites like TripAdvisor, they see attractions more diverse than just event venues and shopping malls. Our city looks like it is largely for evangelicals and NASCAR fans if you look at lists like this. We know there is more, but visitors start with websites like this and and make decisions based off Page 1 results: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g49022-Activities-a_allAttractions.true-Charlotte_North_Carolina.html
  4. Create a better inventory of places to take photos / enjoy views. As locals we know where to go for views, but international visitors don't have anything to point them towards "iconic" photo spots in Charlotte to capture the city. People love documenting their trip and having Instagram worthy moments. The city could create a guide of where to go to "take in" the beauty of Charlotte. Where are the top murals? Do we have a map of them?
  5. GIFT SHOPS in Uptown -> there are not enough gift shops and stores for tourists to browse in Uptown to get souvenirs. Heavily subsidize / encourage gift shops to offset high rent that encourages fast casual chains for office workers that close at 5PM. Places like Paper Skyscraper, Moxie Mercantile, Archer Papergoods, 704 Shop, et... are all outside Uptown where international visitors are most likely to stay due to concentration of hotels. If you only have 2 nights in Charlotte, a lot of our shopping destinations are spread out and if you don't have a car.... you'll burn through your time fast trying to get to places like Paper Skyscraper to get a gift. 
  6. Hostels -> Charlotte doesn't have an inventory of hostels for travelers looking to connect with international travelers in an easily accessible and walkable locations. If you need an affordable hotel.... you are looking at sketchy motels off the interstates. We should encourage hostels in Center City targeting travelers. Look to cities like Austin that have places like Drifter Jack's Hostel, Native Hostel, Firehouse Hotel, et... as place international young tourists know they can connect and meet people versus a Marriott. 
  7. Luxury changes -> If we want to be a destination for luxury hotel stays, shopping, dining, spa visits, et... we need to seamlessly connect these spread out destinations. Locations like the Ritz Carlton, Grand Bohemian, Kimpton, JW Marriott could share a limo shuttle that runs out to South Park Mall on weekends for shopping. Until more luxury shopping spreads elsewhere, it is concentrated away from our most luxurious hotels. Need to close the gap.

This is a very sober and pretty good observational analysis, even whether one would agree with you or not, I think it’s safe to say it is super rationale.

I would say, Charlotte would be better suited towards marketing towards international students, business groups, etc. Things where it is extended or rather organized (with a purpose to even be in Charlotte) and I think that makes things like USNWWC, Asheville/Wilmington day trips and the various things you mention great assets. 

If Charlotte were to focus on international tourist, it seems like Raleigh would be stiff competition. Same proximity to beaches and mountains. State capital. Chapel Hill, Durham in addition to Raleigh. Why would an international tourist particularly visit Charlotte over Raleigh? Seems International Students a little but particularly business and convention international tourist - each could draw their own strengths (financial center vs. higher education/bio/tech)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Here is an interesting stat  the Coca Cola 600 race 1 week ago attracted people to Cabarrus County from all 50 states and 12 foreign countries.   (including some Aussies)   and yes they are international  tourists.   Big events like our races, big golf tournaments do attract an international in person audience. 

https://www.wbtv.com/2022/06/07/cabarrus-county-cvb-showcases-importance-tourism-with-legislative-reception-coca-cola-600/

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Phillydog said:

It was, after all, from Charlotte that Boston asked for help with desegregation.

And I'm old enough to remember the busing/school desegregation crisis in Boston in the mid '70s.  I was in grade school in North Carolina at the time.  My school system had been desegregated since before I started school, so to see Boston going through that years later (when desegregation was all I had ever known) was an eye-opener.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

then they eat BBQ in Asheville    Is a hush puppy a drink or some kind of bread??? LOL 

The first time in my life I ever saw someone who didn't like hushpuppies.  I don't eat them anymore because they're unhealthy, but few things taste as good as a hushpuppy.

• Like 4

• 11 months later...

Would you believe I have something to post in this thread? LOL.  This time a British born Youtuber who is currently living in Fort Mill and she talks about her neighborhood  I think Waterside in south Fort Mill. I was howling at some of her comments and it reminded me of my British friends who own 2 homes here as investment homes.  The garden instead of the yard, the wardrobes, her comment about the bed was exactly what my friend said "King beds in America would only fit in castles in England"  Plus she talks about her house and its features and some neighboring houses.   Painted rocks, rolling rubbish bins etc.    Confession I have a small tv on my back porch LOL. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-12148447/English-TikToker-whos-set-home-America-reveals-things-make-no-sense-Brit.html

• Like 3
  • Haha 1