7 story Jones Furniture Building to be renovated

bobliocatt

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great news, although I would have preferred residential lofts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me too ... but I bet it's a cost issue. Rehab of the structure would probably cost about the same either way. However, you can lease a law office for a whole lot more than a residential loft.

But this is another project that will probably depend on a swift courthouse resolution. No new courthouse, no need for law offices in that part of downtown.

Council President-elect Hyde was on public access TV last week and suggested that construction would start by winter 2005. Good news, I guess.

Council President-elect Hyde was on public access TV last week and suggested that construction would start by winter 2005. Good news, I guess.

Yeah, but construction on what?? If it is a half-assed divided courthouse which leaves the old courthouse in place, neither Bay Street nor the new site will receive as much of a boost as they should.

<< Praying for some civic leadership..

^Construction on the courthouse, by Winter 2005 or the Jones Building by then?

I don't think the county courthouse situation affects this project. The article mentioned it was for lawyers using the Federal Courthouse. BTW, lofts would have been nice, but I'm fine, as long as the building is being saved. It will be good to get more people, other than FBC members, twice a week, in that section of downtown. We also still have several old buildings sitting vacant that can be renovated into lofts.

^Construction on the courthouse, by Winter 2005 or the Jones Building by then?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, I meant construction on the courthouse.

He also strongly implied that it would indeed be a "half-assed" divided courthouse, (as riverside aptly put it) He implied that it would be civil or crim, but not both.

But again, who knows. it's really up to the mayor, not Hyde.

But this is another project that will probably depend on a swift courthouse resolution. No new courthouse, no need for law offices in that part of downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to this quote, the rehab must be immenient.

"The couple expects their respective designs to be completed and out for bid in the next two months, with an eight- to nine-month construction period,Steven Hutchins said."

The article also refers to the building's proximity to the Federal Courthouse. Maybe these particular attorneys spend most of their time in Federal courts.

Archived