Hard Rock Hotel on Beale Street (PROPOSED)

Memphisborn

Hard Rock Hotels negotiating with Downtown Memphis Commission for Beale Street location

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/business/development/2022/04/29/downtown-memphis-hard-rock-hotels-beale-street-jerry-lee-lewis-cafe-and-honky-tonk/9590664002/

Hard Rock Hotels could soon add to the growing hotel developments on Beale Street.

The Hard Rock Hotel was listed as the proposed tenant on a zoning letter filed with the Memphis and Shelby County Division of Planning and Development.

Memphis Tourism President and CEO Kevin Kane confirmed Hard Rock Hotels is negotiating with the Downtown Memphis Commission on a potential deal.

“They’re certainly, both sides are trying to work a deal,” Kane said. “But you know, things can fall apart on you before things get completed … I don’t want to get too excited and until it’s finalized, and it’s announced and the deal is completely finalized.”

The current tenant on the zoning letter is listed as Jerry Lee Lewis' Cafe & Honky Tonk, 326 Beale St., located in the iconic street’s entertainment district.

It would be great to have Hard Rock hotel added to Beale st. Hopes this happens soon

Edited by VSRJ
  • Like 2

I made a mention of this today in the Downtown Memphis thread, but this was always something that had been on the wish list of some people on this forum (including myself). I'm kinda torn on the potential location as I believed the lot next to the current Hard Rock Cafe made the most sense. The site of the former Pat O'Brien's/current Jerry Lee Lewis' Cafe across from Handy Park is not exactly an ideal place to put a large hotel of 200+ rooms, though I understand why they would choose that considering its close proximity to FedExForum to the south and the Peabody Place Garage to the north.

Edited by James Owen
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, James Owen said:

I made a mention of this today in the Downtown Memphis thread, but this was always something that had been on the wish list of some people on this forum (including myself). I'm kinda torn on the potential location as I believed the lot next to the current Hard Rock Cafe made the most sense. The site of the former Pat O'Brien's/current Jerry Lee Lewis' Cafe across from Handy Park is not exactly an ideal place to put a large hotel of 200+ rooms, though I understand why they would choose that considering its close proximity to FedExForum to the south and the Peabody Place Garage to the north.

Yes just read your post. I remember when it was initially talked about next to Hard Rock Cafe. Would like to see the design plans for the look and number of rooms @ the site. I have always hoped for a guitar shaped infill. Let’s see how this pans out, also I’m curious as to how this will effect the proposed Beal st inn @ the site of the former plush club?? Not sure if it will happen now with a hard rock hotel footsteps away. My biggest thing now is having a house of blues come to Beale st this has been long talked about and with New daisy being dark right now it’s time to consider bringing this to Memphis 

56 minutes ago, TheExtraEastKid said:

No way any historic buildings are touched for a 200 room hotel.

Considering there's other alternatives like the land near Hard Rock Cafe or the huge parking lot on MLK

or even locating it further down Beale near Church Park and SugaShack.

For the record, the current Jerry Lee Lewis' Cafe/former Pat O'Brien's isn't a historic building. It was constructed in the early 2000s as a replica to the original in New Orleans. I seriously doubt they would touch any of the other buildings on that block.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, James Owen said:

For the record, the current Jerry Lee Lewis' Cafe/former Pat O'Brien's isn't a historic building. It was constructed in the early 2000s as a replica to the original in New Orleans. I seriously doubt they would touch any of the other buildings on that block.

Yes, the Pat O’s building was new construction and opened in 2002. 

• Like 1

I would think they would choose another location, because that corner, going East, would be ideal for a set of buildings similar to the Pat O'Brien building. I could see more clubs lined along Peabody.  

Hopefully, they will look at property along MLK or the parking lot beside Hard Rock Cafe. I'd rather they redevelop the entire block where the Hard Rock Cafe is located. 

On 4/30/2022 at 2:41 PM, TheExtraEastKid said:

No way any historic buildings are touched for a 200 room hotel.

Considering there's other alternatives like the land near Hard Rock Cafe or the huge parking lot on MLK

or even locating it further down Beale near Church Park and 

They really need to move the Handy Museum. 

25 minutes ago, JTM1 said:

I would think they would choose another location, because that corner, going East, would be ideal for a set of buildings similar to the Pat O'Brien building. I could see more clubs lined along Peabody.  

Hopefully, they will look at property along MLK or the parking lot beside Hard Rock Cafe. I'd rather they redevelop the entire block where the Hard Rock Cafe is located. 

They really need to move the Handy Museum. 

I'm right there with you.  But, instead of lining Peabody, you could build a couple buildings lining Rufus Thomas that overlooks Handy Park, instead of having that surface lot.  That way, they'd still have visibility from Beale St and be in the closed off portion.  If the Handy House/Museum were removed you could build another building or two there also.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MDC26 said:

I'm right there with you.  But, instead of lining Peabody, you could build a couple buildings lining Rufus Thomas that overlooks Handy Park, instead of having that surface lot.  That way, they'd still have visibility from Beale St and be in the closed off portion.  If the Handy House/Museum were removed you could build another building or two there also.  

Honestly I believe u could move Handy museum/ house inside handy park, it’s just that small. 

• VSRJ changed the title to Hard Rock Hotel on Beale Street (PROPOSED)
  • 3 months later...
On 8/27/2022 at 10:43 PM, Memphisborn said:

Has there been any updates on this proposal?? I was told by a co-worker Hard Rock is considering the old plush club site instead of old pat O’Brien building. 

That would be better to build on a current vacant lot, as opposed to tearing down a building that is currently occupied.  The site of the previous plush club is owned by someone that had plans already for a hotel there - The Inn at Beale St.  Maybe they aren't going to move forward with those plans.  I'd still rather see a Hard Rock Hotel at the surface lot next to the restaurant though, but that lot would be 2nd best option.

New plans for a 145-room hotel at 380 Beale St. include retail space and a rooftop bar.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/business/development/2021/01/29/downtown-memphis-beale-street-hotel-plans/4307726001/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MDC26 said:

That would be better to build on a current vacant lot, as opposed to tearing down a building that is currently occupied.  The site of the previous plush club is owned by someone that had plans already for a hotel there - The Inn at Beale St.  Maybe they aren't going to move forward with those plans.  I'd still rather see a Hard Rock Hotel at the surface lot next to the restaurant though, but that lot would be 2nd best option.

New plans for a 145-room hotel at 380 Beale St. include retail space and a rooftop bar.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/business/development/2021/01/29/downtown-memphis-beale-street-hotel-plans/4307726001/

Yes I remember this proposal I also remember reading they had paused their plan because of the walk proposing two hotels. 

8 minutes ago, Memphisborn said:

Yes I remember this proposal I also remember reading they had paused their plan because of the walk proposing two hotels. 

Here is the article: they requested a year extension and was only given 6 month’s this project may be a no go. 

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/business/development/2019/05/14/beale-street-hotel-union-row-downtown-memphis/3666037002/

35 minutes ago, Memphisborn said:

Here is the article: they requested a year extension and was only given 6 month’s this project may be a no go. 

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/business/development/2019/05/14/beale-street-hotel-union-row-downtown-memphis/3666037002/

That article was way back before COVID.  The article I posted was from last year, where they had a redesign of the hotel.  I actually liked the angled, flat front with the structural awning in the original, as opposed to the 90* corners.  

New details about The Inn at Beale Street, a hotel proposal for Downtown  Memphis by Turkey Creek Hospitality and president Nick Patel. - Memphis  Business Journal

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MDC26 said:

That article was way back before COVID.  The article I posted was from last year, where they had a redesign of the hotel.  I actually liked the angled, flat front with the structural awning in the original, as opposed to the 90* corners.  

New details about The Inn at Beale Street, a hotel proposal for Downtown  Memphis by Turkey Creek Hospitality and president Nick Patel. - Memphis  Business Journal

Ok yea I read your article. Hmm  let’s see if if happens.