Monthly UP walking tour and meetup!

CLT Development

downtown Concord was hopping today with the 94th annual Christmas Parade all ready to go and people were camping out on the streets and partying in their lawns up and down Union St.   Yes great tour group through NC's 10th largest city Concord.  And there are things Charlotte can learn from its little neighbor Concord.  

• Like 4

downtown Concord was hopping today with the 94th annual Christmas Parade all ready to go and people were camping out on the streets and partying in their lawns up and down Union St.   Yes great tour group through NC's 10th largest city Concord.  And there are things Charlotte can learn from its little neighbor Concord.  

I definitely agree, Charlotte has a great local case study that I feel is a great model!
  • Like 4

Here is an idea we all thought Charlotte could learn from Concord space for pop up retail shops anyone know where there is some vacant uptown retail space?

1876 Courthouse Cabarrus County with their new one that will open next year will have a collection of 3 courthouses all being used for something. 

Future tours will be back to Kannapolis,  Belmont Mt Holly etc. 

2117193043_KJ-ConcordTour11_19.20227.thumb.jpg.e1fdd09e808b415afb0a41cb3fe80525.jpg

1707603967_KJ-ConcordTour11_19.20226.thumb.jpg.bdf844347694ebde5d9fc63d8b55b3e4.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I hear nothing about Junior League for looong time. My household historian says 4th Ward was a major project as mentioned above. JL was instrumental in creation of TAPS, the teen parent school to address health and education for (very) young mothers and moms to be. Florence Crittenton home also was a focus. My neighbor 20 years past was a JL member. The JL club house is adjacent to the Freedom Park tennis courts. I wish them well and miss their activism.
Members were 35 and younger thus the “junior” appellation. It was assumed that after 35 members would transfer their energies to schools, social and business clubs, and other endeavors.

I miss them. Anyone have more current info?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

I hear nothing about Junior League for looong time. My household historian says 4th Ward was a major project as mentioned above. JL was instrumental in creation of TAPS, the teen parent school to address health and education for (very) young mothers and moms to be. Florence Crittenton home also was a focus. My neighbor 20 years past was a JL member. The JL club house is adjacent to the Freedom Park tennis courts. I wish them well and miss their activism.
Members were 35 and younger thus the “junior” appellation. It was assumed that after 35 members would transfer their energies to schools, social and business clubs, and other endeavors.

I miss them. Anyone have more current info?

the Junior League is still very active in Charlotte with different endeavors now.   Here is their website  https://www.jlcharlotte.org/

One can say Fourth Ward of today might have not happened with some forward thinking ladies of the Junior League.    (also women organized the movement of the US Mint from West Trade to Eastover too)    Its the men who want to pave over paradise and put up a parking lot LOL. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kannapolis tour coming Saturday April 15th at 345 when the amtrak pulls in from Charlotte.  Tour will start at Amtrak station platform and be approximately 1 hour and use of the social district is welcome.   And what really goes on in the NC Research Campus and you might be surprised to learn a few things.  Ride the train from Charlotte or drive and park for free at the parking lot at the Amtrak station.  There are multiple construction projects to see as well.  

https://www.trainaficionado.com/kannapolis-train-station-improvements/

20230402_121030.jpg

20230402_121404.jpg

20230402_122651.jpg

20230402_122933.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2023 at 3:08 PM, KJHburg said:

Kannapolis tour coming Saturday April 15th at 345 when the amtrak pulls in from Charlotte.  Tour will start at Amtrak station platform and be approximately 1 hour and use of the social district is welcome.   And what really goes on in the NC Research Campus and you might be surprised to learn a few things.  Ride the train from Charlotte or drive and park for free at the parking lot at the Amtrak station.  There are multiple construction projects to see as well.

This Saturday and the weather looks great.  

• Like 4