500 N Orange Ave Renovation | 5-story mixed use/office renovation [Under Construction]

dcluley98

2 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Does the landscape architect firm get any credit?  

Most certainly, if it works. There were landscape architects who gave us the palm trees, too. Most times you get what you ask for.

It’s also part of the basis of ‘management by wandering around”. Walt, for example, didn’t want to build an admistration building at Disneyland because he wanted staff out wandering the park to see what worked, just as he did.

Edited by spenser1058

5 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

My personal favorites are Myrtles that always look garbage no matter what you do and require cutting and maintaining twice a year.  They are a shrub, not a tree, you sick weirdos! 

Are you talking about Crepe Myrtles?

I think they're OK I guess.

FWIU, they are sort of genetically engineered to come in three separate size ranges.... dwarf, medium and full size.

I like the ones with the magenta looking blooms.

Don't care for the red or white.

12 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

…Most if you will never know what the fragrance of thousands of acres of orange blossoms in the spring was like, but it was something unique to only a few places in the world, including us.

I worked for the Mouse House 1983-89 starting when I was 17. In the beginning my drive to the Disney employee parking lot would take me off I4 at LBV, past the construction site of the Grand Cypress, and down winding roads through orange groves to the back of Disney property.

I do miss those couple times a year I would driving those roads and rolling down the window, taking in that heavenly fragrance…ahhhh…the word “heavenly” doesn’t do that smell justice.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Not specifically- he just hated the palm trees and left the rest up to staff. I know you think this is impossible but some politicians see things that don’t match the vision they have for their communities and ask for solutions. That’s why they have staffs.

Then there are those who are oblivious to what’s around them and do nothing. It’s the difference between Casselberry and Winter Garden.

And that's why he was a good mayor. I can't speak to the rest but hating palm trees in our urban area...awesome. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Nowadays?

More like a...

Oh, I dunno. City Hall’s attractive (or would be without that horrendous sealant) as is the courthouse, the First FA (especially if they had done the original second tower, which would also mean we wouldn’t have those Bible-thumping, quasi-pyramid scheme incompetents owning the Magic) and Sun Bank Center (hold the teal). 

Since 2002, we’ve had Buddytecture, which is a vigorous “meh” for me. I’m hoping Society might herald a new era as we approach Buddy’s Golden Jubilee.

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Oh, I dunno. City Hall’s attractive (or would be without that horrendous sealant) as is the courthouse, the First FA (especially if they had done the original second tower, which would also mean we wouldn’t have those Bible-thumping, quasi-pyramid scheme incompetents owning the Magic) and Sun Bank Center (hold the teal). 

Since 2002, we’ve had Buddytecture, which is a vigorous “meh” for me. I’m hoping Society might herald a new era as we approach Buddy’s Golden Jubilee.

So, can some of the downright ugly buildings that went up in the 80's, like The Silver Refrigerator, The Barnet Plaza, The Traveler's Building, The Orange County Administration Center, and the "meh" Sun Bank Center be described as examples of "Frederi-tecture"?  

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2022 at 9:02 PM, JFW657 said:

So, can some of the downright ugly buildings that went up in the 80's, like The Silver Refrigerator, The Barnet Plaza, The Traveler's Building, The Orange County Administration Center, and the "meh" Sun Bank Center be described as examples of "Frederi-tecture"?  

I always thought the silver refrigerator might could be rehabbed by building it's taller twin adjacent to it so that it looks like it was part of a larger complex; maybe a total of three buildings in a step up fashion.  That curtain wall resembles Madison Plaza the way it looked kind of back in the early '80's in, you guessed it, Chicago.  Kind of reminds me of, if Citicorp Center took a dump and silver refrigerator came out.  It's almost like a lot of cities have got one; except NYC's is waaay cooler...

On 7/25/2022 at 5:48 PM, JFW657 said:

Nowadays?

More like a...

that about sums it up...  Topol... he was awesome in FYEO eating those pistachios all the time...

On 7/25/2022 at 11:14 AM, JFW657 said:

I'm so glad to see this renovation finally happening, but I'm preparing myself to be underwhelmed at the outcome.  :mellow: 

...the under-promise, over-deliver fallacy (?) works wonders...

On 7/24/2022 at 9:51 PM, W7edwin said:

7357A329-378C-4960-9163-F9258F69F106.jpeg

after watching Stranger Things, gutting this thing confirms that they are not presently up to no good behind those industrial-clad walls (which have been removed); can't vouch for the past few decades though...LOL...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1