Orlando was the 8th most moved-to city in 2021

21 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Perhaps some are coming for Disney.

Other factors I would consider are:

No state income tax

Orlando is still less expensive than where people are leaving such as CA or the Northeast 

I've always wondered about the raw data on this.  I didn't choose CA because it is so far off-kilter.  I not-quite-randomly chose Ohio & New York because I kind of guessed that they are both states that I see a lot of people moving here from.

A married couple of dual-earners (no kids factored in to make it simple because I didn't want to figure out state tax laws for kids) making the following would pay the following raw state tax amount.  No deductions.  No rebates.  No factoring in tax-deferred stuff.

$75,000 joint income:

• Ohio - $1,653 (top tier @ this income = 3.326%, real overall rate @ this income = 2.203%)
  • New York - $4,042 (top tier @ this income = 6.090%, real overall rate @ this income = 5.389%)

$100,000 joint income:

• Ohio - $2,539 (top tier @ this income = 3.802%, real overall rate @ this income = 2.539%)
  • New York - $5,564 (top tier @ this income = 6.090%, real overall rate @ this income = 5.564%)

$150,000 joint income:

• Ohio - $4,674 (top tier @ this income = 4.413%, real overall rate @ this income = 3.116%)
  • New York - $8,609 (top tier @ this income = 6.090%, real overall rate @ this income = 5.739%)

$200,000 joint income:

• Ohio - $6,881 (top tier @ this income = 4.413%, real overall rate @ this income = 3.440%)
  • New York - $11,777 (top tier @ this income = 6.410%, real overall rate @ this income = 5.889%)

These were calculated from posted 2022 state tax rates.  Yes, I did factor in the rates in tiers as they should be instead of flat rate.

New York sticks it to you unless your combined married income is less than $43,000, whereas Ohio (home of THE Ohio State University) gives you a pretty big bump and doesn't really raise rates until your combined income is over $88,000

• Thanks 1

I guess it is worth pointing out that in 2019 (the last true data year I have) my wife & I spent about $3,000 in tolls.  That includes both driving to work and normal driving.

I never lived in NY, but lived in a few states in the Midwest and never spent a dime on tolls.  I know NY has toll roads and high state taxes.  Generally speaking, the roads in Florida are in much better condition but I don't think that is related to taxes.  I have a sneaking suspicion that if Florida salted their roads and ran plows over them that they would be just as bad.