Jump to content

Memphis Riverfront and Mud Island


Recommended Posts


7 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Is there a rendering of how the fountains will look? Didn't see them in the Studio Gang riverfront development guide.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Is there a rendering of how the fountains will look? Didn't see them in the Studio Gang riverfront development guide.

I haven’t seen any renderings for Cobblestone landing or the fountain. Not sure if Studio Gang is even part of Cobblestone Landing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, MDC26 said:

I haven’t seen any renderings for Cobblestone landing or the fountain. Not sure if Studio Gang is even part of Cobblestone Landing. 

I want to say that Ritchie Smith Associates completed the design and there were rough renderings over 5 years ago. From what I understand the project was delayed several times by historic reviews and the railroad, since there are also pedestrian crossing work associated with the project. I am adding a link to a story supporting this. https://dailymemphian.com/article/14936/memphis-riverboat-landing-cobblestones-construction-restoration-improvement-landmmark-pedestrian

Edited by DowntownUrbanite
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/19/2022 at 9:16 PM, MDC26 said:

I haven’t seen any renderings for Cobblestone landing or the fountain. Not sure if Studio Gang is even part of Cobblestone Landing. 

I posted renderings and a development map in one of the other sections I'll try to find and post here. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If just a Star Flyer where the Memphis Belle was. Its and improvement. A 300fft Star Flyer in that setting is a Wow Factor  in addition to an Aquarium.

 

This with the Bridges, River, Pyramid, Sky Line is a WoW!

 

Copenhagen 

Vienna

 

 

https://youtu.be/PajnNUoZOZo

 

 

 

 

 

It also doesn't directly compete with the observation deck at the Pyramid as it adds thrill.

 

Still do a big wheel if you must. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Wayward Memphian said:

If just a Star Flyer where the Memphis Belle was. Its and improvement. A 300fft Star Flyer in that setting is a Wow Factor  in addition to an Aquarium.

 

This with the Bridges, River, Pyramid, Sky Line is a WoW!

 

Copenhagen 

Vienna

 

 

https://youtu.be/PajnNUoZOZo

 

 

 

 

 

It also doesn't directly compete with the observation deck at the Pyramid as it adds thrill.

 

Still do a big wheel if you must. 

Good idea, but will it compete with the bridge?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/26/2022 at 4:28 PM, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Good idea, but will it compete with the bridge?

The tallest in world requires an 86ft circle to operate:

Technical Specifications

  • Park Model Tower Height: 45 m, 74 m or 123 m (150 ft, 243 ft or 403 ft). The StarFlyer can come in any height, these are just some representative sizes.
  • Portable Model Height: 54 m (117 ft)
  • Footprint: 17 m (56 ft) circle; 400 ft StarFlyer is 25 m (82 ft)
  • Instant Capacity: 24 or 32 riders
  • Hourly Throughput: 480 pph
  • Maximum Rotational Speed: 70 km/h (43 mph)
  • Maximum Vertical Speed: 2.2 m/s (2.6 ft/s)
  • Foundation Style: Foundation or Trailer-Mounted
  • Ride Control System: Allen-Bradley PLC system
  • Electrical Power Req: 130 or 150 kW
  • Standards: Static calculations according to TUV, EN, ASTM and CSEI regulations
  • Height Restriction: 1.1 m (44 in)
  • Options:
    Canvas Sweep Covers
    LED Lighting Package
    Custom-Designed Top

Here's the ride's web page.

 

https://rideentertainment.com/tower-rides-starflyer/

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

It is a bit disingenuous that you can't put a good sized collect of ridge on Mud Island  . Here are two examples from my photos of Tivoli one is another tower ride that offers two different ride experiences and bumper cars underneath the elevated loading platform. The other is an extreme flat ride called an air race by zamperla. Again, a raised loading platform with a concession area under it.

Screenshot_20220828-133427_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220828-133354_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220828-133235_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220828-133412_Photos.jpg

Edited by Wayward Memphian
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So will all the components of Tivoli be included on Mud Island? 

The rides you're mentioning could be located where the Memphis Belle used to be. Dragon Boat lake and water fountains could be on the Gulf of Mexico. I would remove the seats in the Ampitheater and replace it with grass, like the Open Air Stage, and of course integrate the Aquarium with the Mississippi River Museum.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/29/2022 at 7:02 PM, The Guardian of Memphis said:

So will all the components of Tivoli be included on Mud Island? 

The rides you're mentioning could be located where the Memphis Belle used to be. Dragon Boat lake and water fountains could be on the Gulf of Mexico. I would remove the seats in the Ampitheater and replace it with grass, like the Open Air Stage, and of course integrate the Aquarium with the Mississippi River Museum.

Yes remove the seats. You could hold more than 4400 on open lawn. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Memphis4ever said:

Memphis gets too much rain to not have seats lol

Well, there's the Shell and the Garden that already has the open lawn.   Mud Island seats 5,000.  It would probably be more costly to take out all the concrete and do the dirt work to put in a lawn than it would to get all new seats.  Snowden Grove has both seats and a lawn, but the depth of it is more than twice that of Mud Island.  There isn't room to make Mud Island Deeper.  I think the layout is fine at Mud Island, it just needs to be upgraded.  A roof would be cool.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Well, there's the Shell and the Garden that already has the open lawn.   Mud Island seats 5,000.  It would probably be more costly to take out all the concrete and do the dirt work to put in a lawn than it would to get all new seats.  Snowden Grove has both seats and a lawn, but the depth of it is more than twice that of Mud Island.  There isn't room to make Mud Island Deeper.  I think the layout is fine at Mud Island, it just needs to be upgraded.  A roof would be cool.  

The biggest problem with the amphitheater as it is right now is that it's not up to modern standards for traveling tours compared to outdoor venues that have been constructed and/or renovated over the last 10-20 years along with the logistical challenges associated with its location and layout. Simply doing the bare minimum to make it operational again would not be enough, and building anew on the same footprint would cost upwards of tens of millions of dollars to do - which doesn't include possibly expanding the site eastward (via creating new land behind the current stage).

Since you made a mention about possibly adding a roof, it would be nice to do something like a Daily's Place in Jacksonville there (just without the indoor practice field it's attached to): https://populous.com/project/jacksonville-jaguars-amphitheater-and-flex-field

Edited by James Owen
More stuff to say
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, James Owen said:

The biggest problem with the amphitheater as it is right now is that it's not up to modern standards for traveling tours compared to outdoor venues that have been constructed and/or renovated over the last 10-20 years along with the logistical challenges associated with its location and layout. Simply doing the bare minimum to make it operational again would not be enough, and building anew on the same footprint would cost upwards of tens of millions of dollars to do - which doesn't include possibly expanding the site eastward (via creating new land behind the current stage).

Since you made a mention about possibly adding a roof, it would be nice to do something like a Daily's Place in Jacksonville there (just without the indoor practice field it's attached to): https://populous.com/project/jacksonville-jaguars-amphitheater-and-flex-field

I’d want it more open than that. It looks like that feels too indoors. Just a roof to protect against weather cancelling a concert, but completely open on the sides. 
 

And yes, I knew the amphitheater is outdated. When I said it needs to be upgraded, I was referring to modernizing it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

I’d want it more open than that. It looks like that feels too indoors. Just a roof to protect against weather cancelling a concert, but completely open on the sides. 
 

And yes, I knew the amphitheater is outdated. When I said it needs to be upgraded, I was referring to modernizing it. 

https://blog.ticketmaster.com/venue-faq-fpl-solar-amphitheater-bayfront-park-miami-fl/
 

Miami installed solar panels to protect against rains 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

I’d want it more open than that. It looks like that feels too indoors. Just a roof to protect against weather cancelling a concert, but completely open on the sides.

Which is why I used Daily's Place as an example. What part of it makes you think it looks too indoors?

dailys-place-amphitheatre.thumb.jpg.928ce238007b3fed73849736feea3c42.jpg

6 minutes ago, Memphisborn said:

https://blog.ticketmaster.com/venue-faq-fpl-solar-amphitheater-bayfront-park-miami-fl/
 

Miami installed solar panels to protect against rains 

That looks very creative for an outdoor venue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, James Owen said:

Which is why I used Daily's Place as an example. What part of it makes you think it looks too indoors?

dailys-place-amphitheatre.thumb.jpg.928ce238007b3fed73849736feea3c42.jpg

That looks very creative for an outdoor venue.

The wall on the side. I guess that just because it abuts up against the practice facility.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm by no means suggesting we should attempt to emulate Nashville (we shouldn't), but I think Ascend Amphitheater is an example of having the best of both worlds with a seating section and a lawn. I do think it needs to be completely open-air. Otherwise, why not just go to an indoor venue?

248657394_4231496330295109_2452221847549028054_n.thumb.jpeg.6ed9c2cb167f636b47d205c59d5ecb40.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, VSRJ said:

I'm by no means suggesting we should attempt to emulate Nashville (we shouldn't), but I think Ascend Amphitheater is an example of having the best of both worlds with a seating section and a lawn. I do think it needs to be completely open-air. Otherwise, why not just go to an indoor venue?

248657394_4231496330295109_2452221847549028054_n.thumb.jpeg.6ed9c2cb167f636b47d205c59d5ecb40.jpeg

https://specialevents.livenation.com/venues/fpl-solar-amphitheater-at-bayfront-park   
 

Miami has solar plus fixed & lawn seating very nice. City should consider this.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I understand cost implications, but why can’t the amphitheater be removed completely or scaled down?  Aren’t there enough in the area? Levitt, Snowden, Botanic Gardens, etc. We can even count Handy Park. Maybe it can be a scaled down theater which would make room for something else. 

Interesting idea, however one of the draws to the island is the beautiful background of the amp. Memphis is a music city with soul so having a amp on the River is amazing. Scale back maybe if your doing that to have lawn seating I can see.  Also we see now with the TLP redo the amp may be a go to venue ( once updated) for BSMF. So removing it completely is not a option IMO, however scaling the fixed seating to about 3,000 and having lawn seating with about 3-4000 seating capacity may be a option. I think the solar canopy ie Miami would be a great addition and add amazing lighting on the venue @ night and protection from rain. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, James Owen said:

Which is why I used Daily's Place as an example. What part of it makes you think it looks too indoors?

dailys-place-amphitheatre.thumb.jpg.928ce238007b3fed73849736feea3c42.jpg

That looks very creative for an outdoor venue.

I like this. I would like to see retractable glass panels that enclosed the amphitheater. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.