Memphis Riverfront and Mud Island

Memphis4ever

7 hours ago, Memphis4ever said:

This is for photos of riverfront construction

Structures are starting to go up at the riverfront.  Including some bridges the foundation for the big canopy structure, plumbing for the fountains, plantings and the hillside is almost complete.

20220520_194408.thumb.jpg.1081e047990a3110e8915e96bbcc3616.jpg

20220520_202152.thumb.jpg.6d39c33e7f8dc75a489bc07c2d16d8b6.jpg

20220520_202144.thumb.jpg.b79415d06f341478f302278bb47b46bb.jpg

20220520_200628.thumb.jpg.e019ab87a3f6691339edee48bf230d10.jpg

20220520_194652.thumb.jpg.ba5284ee047654deab482de207f22fa8.jpg

20220520_194450.thumb.jpg.08c98e2e62220654bbf73b6c8463b8d7.jpg

20220520_200631.jpg

I just walked this area last week. Afterwards, realized I should have taken some photos, but you took care of it. It’s looking really nice. With the Centric, Caption, Landing, Cutbank bluff, that area is looking really nice. Get the Grand Hyatt and Vance apartments built and Top Lee Park completed, that whole area is going to be top notch. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, bnacincy said:

Once it's finished, will they still have the BBQ and Blues Festivals there?

The World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest (no blues), yes, that's the plan - Beale Street Music Festival as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The reconstruction of the Cobblestone Landing has picked up now that the Mississippi River level is low. What looks like a stairwell or new walkway is being constructed from Monroe down towards the local riverboat dock. The fountain plaza is taking shape at the foot of Union Avenue. Hope to get photographs as the work progresses.

• Like 4

• VSRJ changed the title to Memphis Riverfront and Mud Island

I've renamed this thread to be a catch-all for Riverfront- and Mud Island-related developments.

I am not a fan of this — those platform towers on top of the pedestrian/monorail bridge look so tacky.

Exclusive: Forge Memphis team reveals full backstory, details of Mud Island zip line plan

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2022/08/09/forge-memphis-mud-island-zip-line-climbing-wall.html

sky-bridge-3.thumb.png.a3181c663df505d943bef099805061a5.png

sky-bridge-3.thumb.png.a3181c663df505d943bef099805061a5.png

Carpenter worked with the firm Bonsai Designs to begin creating plans for a ropes course. Carpenter put together a team that included his daughter, Katie Elizabeth Carpenter and Frank Ricks, founding principal of LRK (who himself loves zip lines). They began playing around with the idea through the peak of the pandemic, but never quite got to materializing the plan. That changed when they found a fourth partner a few years later through pure coincidence, when he crossed paths with The Forge, a Chicago-based company, while at a conference. 

The Forge builds outdoor adventure parks. Cofounder and CEO Jeremie Bacon had wanted to do a project in Memphis for years and was “shocked and dismayed” to learn Carpenter had beat him to the punch — until 30 seconds later as he listened to Carpenter describe exactly the type of venue Bacon’s company built. They even used the same firm, Bonsai Designs.

“Downtown Memphis is the coolest place to do something like this,” Bacon told MBJ on Monday, Aug. 8. “And the concept envisioned that Katie, Doug, and Rick had worked through and put together, it's right it's out of the same playbook.”

The Forge currently has one other project, a 300-acre mega-park called The Forge: Lemont Quarries. The Forge: Memphis will be smaller, but in the same mode.

sky-bridge1.png

Um. No thanks. 

This belongs at Shelby Farms where it can have more space. It seems like a good fit, with Tom Lee Park and its new structures, but I don't think it is. On the other hand, it would bring more activity to Mud Island and tie into the outdoorsy feel of Tom Lee Park. This could even go near the Snuff District. I'm all for the whole family having fun, but like Memphis4ever posted, a waterpark would be better, but the Island is too small. The waterpark/surfpark requires a lot of land.

There need to be more studies and RFPs done before we go jumping into this one (no pun intended). An Aquarium is the best bet to me. Remodel the whole island. Remove the brutalist architecture. Repaint the concrete, make it more inviting. Put lights around the island, but not too much to take away from the bridge.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Um. No thanks. 

This belongs at Shelby Farms where it can have more space. It seems like a good fit, with Tom Lee Park and its new structures, but I don't think it is. On the other hand, it would bring more activity to Mud Island and tie into the outdoorsy feel of Tom Lee Park. This could even go near the Snuff District. I'm all for the whole family having fun, but like Memphis4ever posted, a waterpark would be better, but the Island is too small. The waterpark/surfpark requires a lot of land.

There need to be more studies and RFPs done before we go jumping into this one (no pun intended). An Aquarium is the best bet to me. Remodel the whole island. Remove the brutalist architecture. Repaint the concrete, make it more inviting. Put lights around the island, but not too much to take away from the bridge.

Overall, it’s not impressive. But, someone is willing to put some investment into the park when the only things that have been done over the last 25 years is putting some letters in the grass, putting some paddle boards in the gulf, and removing the flag poles. This will give the park more activity, and could be the impetus for more investment. Plus, it’s not going to permanently alter anything to prevent anything more significant. 

On 8/9/2022 at 6:08 PM, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Um. No thanks. 

Aquarium is the best fit. If done right could be world class attraction. How much revenue will this Zip line generate in the winter???? Mud Island needs real redevelopment This is a band aid proposal I would be shocked if city council gives final approval on this 

On 8/9/2022 at 9:04 PM, MDC26 said:

Overall, it’s not impressive. But, someone is willing to put some investment into the park when the only things that have been done over the last 25 years is putting some letters in the grass, putting some paddle boards in the gulf, and removing the flag poles. This will give the park more activity, and could be the impetus for more investment. Plus, it’s not going to permanently alter anything to prevent anything more significant. 

Good point. Plus they don't need public money. I just don't want it to be a failure, but at least there was an effort to do something. I can see field trips and stuff like that, but will the average joe be able to afford it? It would bring a level of excitement and uniqueness, which is good.

I could see a family taking part in the zip lines, visiting the Mississippi River Museum, Bass Pro, Tom Lee Park, then finishing it off by having a meal on South Main while listening to some blues. If they could also include canoeing in the Wolf River Harbor starting from Mud Island and ending in the Snuff District, wow, that would be at least a whole day spent downtown.

1 hour ago, Memphisborn said:

Aquarium is the best fit. If done right could be world class attraction. How much revenue will this Zip line generate in the winter???? Mud Island needs real redevelopment This is a band aid proposal I would be shocked if city council gives final approval on this 

Another good point.  Maybe there will be more investments and activities to fill in those down times.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 3:22 PM, Memphis4ever said:

Its an ok and fun attraction but it would be better to work out a waterpark or something more substantial for this prime location.

It would be a small piece but no where near what is needed.

Again, Strickland needs to get in a plane, fly to Copenhagen and take the train straight to the middle of town,.cross the street and he'll see his Mud Island solution. The US version of Tivoli Gardens.

Main points:

Signature Attrations:

Aquarium,  not Atlanta like but upper tier. In partnership with the Memphis Zoo ideally

A collection of amusment rides styled in a coordinating color scheme done in a late 1800's steampunk Ironworks.

A " Fly Over " Soarin' style ride attraction  that features the whole of the Mississippi River from Itasca to the Gulf.

A Star Flyer ride at about 300ft tall.  It would offer amazing views of the Skyline and the River.

A companion ferris wheel at around 150 to 200 ft.  high. 

A compact steel extreme thrill coaster

A compact wooden roller coaster

Around a dozen' flats from kiddie to thrill (see Tivoli)

Updated River Museum. 

Updated Amp with an architectural cover structure that does not impede the Skyline view of the concert goer.

A European style Christmas Market with a show tree in the middle of the gulf. Ice rink as well along with the wholenpark decked out in lights.  

Updated River Walk

More emphasis on botanical beauty 

Screenshot_20220815-201116_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20220815-201232_Google.jpg

As much as I want a theme park in Memphis, I don't think something along the lines of Tivoli is feasible for Mud Island. I think the city needs to pursue a practical reimagining of the space — much like Tom Lee Park. The park's main attraction should be the river, plain and simple. Make that the focal point with the amphitheater, museum, river walk, recreation, restaurants, etc. being added bonuses. However, I do think a Ferris wheel would be a terrific addition.

Edited by VSRJ
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, VSRJ said:

As much as I want a theme park in Memphis, I don't think something along the lines of Tivoli is feasible for Mud Island. I think the city needs to pursue a practical reimagining of the space — much like Tom Lee Park. The park's main attraction should be the river, plain and simple. Make that the focal point with the amphitheater, museum, river walk, recreation, restaurants, etc. being added bonuses. However, I do think a Ferris wheel would be a terrific addition.

Agreed I don’t see the city investing in something like this. Honestly I believe Andy cates original proposal was a great fit. Lodging (Cabins) Luxury tents, extending green belt park into the island. Water features, food trucks, upgrades to amphitheater, upgrades to river walk & museum. I just would add mini golf ⛳️ to that proposal 

13 minutes ago, Memphisborn said:

Agreed I don’t see the city investing in something like this. Honestly I believe Andy cates original proposal was a great fit. Lodging (Cabins) Luxury tents, extending green belt park into the island. Water features, food trucks, upgrades to amphitheater, upgrades to river walk & museum. I just would add mini golf ⛳️ to that proposal 

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/business/development/2022/08/17/mud-island-memphis-tn-redevelopment-downtown/10338711002/

Will the city swallow its pride and call Andy Cates back to the negotiating table . He has the best and most authentic proposal to date. 

https://www.memphisdailynews.com/Editorial_Images/24700.pdf

My ideal - money is not a limitation - proposal would be: pedestrian bridge on the South end connecting to Beale Street Landing, nice aquarium/freshwater institute on the South End, refresh/spruce up River walk/museum/restaurant/tram, can have Christmas market/ice skating/and other seasonal things, modernize amphitheater with roof that doesn’t obstruct view of downtown, construct 220ft Ferris wheel next to Amp (where mud island logo is). Ferris wheel will be 4th tallest in US, can have mud island logo on it, and led lights that can be part of bridge light show.

Use John Vergos’ idea to try and make Memphis/Mississippi River a UNESCO World Heritage site. Build a base where the Memphis Belle was displayed that would be the World Heritage museum part, and from that base, have a 500ft+ lighthouse (Like lighthouse of Alexandria.)  This can be Memphis’ Space Needle/Tower of Americas. People can go up the elevator to view the river and even see how wide it goes when it floods. There can be a restaurant or banquet room. Could have zip lines from this. Could also have stairs that public could climb for good exercise. If they take the stairs, they can avoid the fee to get to the top. 

Add parking under the bridge. Can put the cabins/luxury tents between bridge and mud island dog park. If there’s room, can also put basketball/tennis/pickelball courts and sand volleyball. 

• Like 1

Some details about the future of Mud Island: https://dailymemphian.com/section/neighborhoods/article/30389/downtown-memphis-mud-island-task-force-tom-lee-park-riverfront-redevelopment-options

New slate of ideas for Mud Island expected around Labor Day

Those looking to revamp Mud Island River Park are trying to stay focused on what can realistically succeed at the city-owned park as part of a larger riverfront.

The task force of about a dozen citizens met Wednesday, Aug. 17, by Zoom with Memphis River Parks Partnership president Carol Coletta and consultants with HR&A Advisors.

At the outset, Alan Crone — who oversaw the last examination of the city-owned park’s future in 2016 — called it “one of the most enigmatic and important assets that we have as a city.”

“Probably the most problematic thing about Mud Island is that it exists,” he said. “To a lot of people, the solution is slap a coat of paint on it and reopen the monorail. It’s not that simple, and we need to figure it out in modern times.”

Off the table in this examination is the idea that the fix can’t involve spending any city funding. That was the limitation facing the 2016 effort to update the park, which took proposals and ended without any being adopted by the city.

Jonathan Meyers of HR&A Advisors estimated there is “on the order of $20 million” in deferred maintenance across the park. The biggest single category is the $4.7 million of miscellaneous items.

Edited by VSRJ

23 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/business/development/2022/08/17/mud-island-memphis-tn-redevelopment-downtown/10338711002/

Will the city swallow its pride and call Andy Cates back to the negotiating table . He has the best and most authentic proposal to date. 

https://www.memphisdailynews.com/Editorial_Images/24700.pdf

What did you not like about the other proposals? 

It's interesting that Cates' plan includes some of the Forge's ideas, as well as modifying/upgrading the current park. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Some details about the future of Mud Island: https://dailymemphian.com/section/neighborhoods/article/30389/downtown-memphis-mud-island-task-force-tom-lee-park-riverfront-redevelopment-options

New slate of ideas for Mud Island expected around Labor Day

Good thing about this is that they are focusing the success of the park into three sections:

Natural lands and the Mississippi River
Destination entertainment and recreation
River-focused research and education

16 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

What did you not like about the other proposals? 

It's interesting that Cates' plan includes some of the Forge's ideas, as well as modifying/upgrading the current park. 

The forge does not include cabins/ luxury Tents. I would love to see an Aquarium as the center piece of a redevelopment along with extension of green belt park, renovated museum, Amphitheater updated, Ferris wheel, mini golf and water features/ fountain show. Also freshwater institute would be a great addition. The island has a lot of  unused land mass along with buildings that are empty. Can’t be afraid to tear something down. A nice wine cellar along with an aquarium restaurant would be a stellar addition