Where Macon meets Atlanta

MarcusJY

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read this article. It ended up on the front page of the Macon Telegraph a few days ago. Contrary to recent arguments on this forum, Macon and Atlanta are actually beginning to meet as we speak. Where do they meet? In North Monroe County. Clusters of subdivisions are popping up along Johnstonville Rd. and near High Falls. Most of these communities claim to be metro Atlanta subdivisions, however, Monroe County is in the Macon MSA. Now that's some messed up stuff. I never thought Atlanta could ever be that far reaching. <_< I wonder how much longer before Atlanta gobbles up Mactown??

I read this article.  It ended up on the front page of the Macon Telegraph a few days ago.  Contrary to recent arguments on this forum, Macon and Atlanta are actually beginning to meet as we speak.  Where do they meet?  In North Monroe County.  Clusters of subdivisions are popping up along Johnstonville Rd. and near High Falls.  Most of these communities claim to be metro Atlanta subdivisions, however, Monroe County is in the Macon MSA.  Now that's some messed up stuff.  I never thought Atlanta could ever be that far reaching.  <_<  I wonder how much longer before Atlanta gobbles up Mactown??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I personnally would say that Macon is probably on Atlanta's dinner table about now about to "say grace". :D

Atlanta will likely never "swallow" Macon. However, Macon may become a commuter city with it's own identity, similar to Providence in New England. Providence by itself is completely self sustaining and has it's own core, commuters, metro, and identity. However, in the shadows of Boston is often because an alternative location for Boston commuters. This will only increase as transportation options like Commuter rail become available. There are numerous people who already commuter to Atlanta from Macon.

As Georgia's population soars, it won't be much longer till it will merge together with metro Atlanta. It may be able to retain its own identity, but I feel that much like Gary Indiana, or Newark New Jersey, it will be part of the larger metropolis. People never thought Atlanta would grow as far as Hall or Cherokee counties, but it is consuming them as we speak.

Unlike Gary and Newark, Macon has existed for some time, and has its own thing going on on a pretty decent scale. Atlanta may indeed consume it, but I believe that it will be a long ways off. Altanta is still growing north and north east faster than any other direction. Maybe some sort of joining at the CSA level in 40-50 years...

I think that the relationship between Atlanta and Macon will grow into something similar to Boston and its surrounding cities as a previous poster suggested. Something like Boston and Worchester MA. Worchester was historically its own place and has some separation as its own place still, but it also is clearly part of the greater Boston blob and heavily tied to Boston via commuting, economic relationships, etc.

I was recently looking at the urbanized area figures for Georgia and was surprised at how small Macon's urbanized area population was (I think it was around 135,000). I thought the place was larger. I also was struck by how large Warner Robbins is (I think it was around 90,000). Is there anything there besides the air force base? I like Macon's feel. It is too small for my tastes, but it has some great historic architecture and nice intown neighborhoods. It think a commuter train between Atlanta and Macon could really work given the community's attractiveness in a lot of ways. It just does not seem to have tons of economic growth on its own account unfortunately.

I think that the relationship between Atlanta and Macon will grow into something similar to Boston and its surrounding cities as a previous poster suggested. Something like Boston and Worchester MA. Worchester was historically its own place and has some separation as its own place still, but it also is clearly part of the greater Boston blob and heavily tied to Boston via commuting, economic relationships, etc.

I was recently looking at the urbanized area figures for Georgia and was surprised at how small Macon's urbanized area population was (I think it was around 135,000). I thought the place was larger. I also was struck by how large Warner Robbins is (I think it was around 90,000). Is there anything there besides the air force base? I like Macon's feel. It is too small for my tastes, but it has some great historic architecture and nice intown neighborhoods. It think a commuter train between Atlanta and Macon could really work given the community's attractiveness in a lot of ways. It just does not seem to have tons of economic growth on its own account unfortunately.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great response Urbansoutherner.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are pretty correct on your assumption of Macon & Warner Robins area. Macon is experiencing the exact same urban sprawl large Metros are experiencing, just on a smaller scale. WR is a bedroom community, most of the people that live in WR moved from Macon and still work, shop and handle business here. If you look at the population numbers from the 70's & 80's, one would think that Macon has lost almost 30,000 people since that time, however unincorporated Bibb County has grown since then, and the surrounded counties (Monroe, Jones, Peach, & Houston) have experienced tremendous growth. Another thing that happened last year is that WR fought and won a battle to get there own separate MSA(Houston & Peach Co) from Macon. So now, Macon's metro was reduced from over 370,000 to less than 250,000 even though the Middle Ga area has grown. They were probably able to do it because of the base and a lot of civilians that live in those counties work there, but Macon is and forever will be the economic hub of middle GA, even if WR catches up in population. There is no downtown WR, they are just starting to make an attempt to develop one around the Macon State College WR campus.

You are pretty correct on your assumption of Macon & Warner Robins area. Macon is experiencing the exact same urban sprawl large Metros are experiencing, just on a smaller scale. WR is a bedroom community, most of the people that live in WR moved from Macon and still work, shop and handle business here. If you look at the population numbers from the 70's & 80's, one would think that Macon has lost almost 30,000 people since that time, however unincorporated  Bibb County has  grown since then, and the surrounded counties (Monroe, Jones, Peach, & Houston) have experienced tremendous growth. Another thing that happened last year is that WR fought and won a battle to get there own separate MSA(Houston & Peach Co) from Macon. So now, Macon's metro was reduced from over 370,000 to less than 250,000 even though the Middle Ga area has grown. They were probably able to do it because of the base and a lot of civilians that live in those counties work there, but Macon is and forever will be the economic hub of middle GA, even if WR catches up in population.  There is no downtown WR, they are just starting to make an attempt to develop one around the Macon State College WR campus.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WR does not seem to be much more than a base and a bunch of modern sprawl. I much prefer Macon. What exactly was the politicking with the MSA designations. If there is enough commuting between the two cities, wouldn't they be in one MSA, or is it more complicated than that if a community throws a fit. I think it is all a combined statistical area.

You are pretty correct on your assumption of Macon & Warner Robins area. Macon is experiencing the exact same urban sprawl large Metros are experiencing, just on a smaller scale. WR is a bedroom community, most of the people that live in WR moved from Macon and still work, shop and handle business here. If you look at the population numbers from the 70's & 80's, one would think that Macon has lost almost 30,000 people since that time, however unincorporated  Bibb County has  grown since then, and the surrounded counties (Monroe, Jones, Peach, & Houston) have experienced tremendous growth. Another thing that happened last year is that WR fought and won a battle to get there own separate MSA(Houston & Peach Co) from Macon. So now, Macon's metro was reduced from over 370,000 to less than 250,000 even though the Middle Ga area has grown. They were probably able to do it because of the base and a lot of civilians that live in those counties work there, but Macon is and forever will be the economic hub of middle GA, even if WR catches up in population.  There is no downtown WR, they are just starting to make an attempt to develop one around the Macon State College WR campus.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Census determines what makes up a MSA based on commuting patterns. It has nothing to do with what the people that live there want or don't want. Apparently the percentage of commuters to Macon for work fell below the standard for it to be a part of the same MSA. They are together as a CMSA though.

• 4 weeks later...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great post. Its the same thing in Atlanta the suburba couties have close to a million ppl in them but the city of ATL is only 450,000 deep. but ATL is still the hub and economic center. The same thin is happenin to Macon. WR leaders think they can become the major player in Middle GA but its a fantasy. theyll always be a suburb of macon, mothin more.

I think the Atlanta- Macon scenario will end up like the whole Los Angeles- San Diego issue. One (Atlanta) will grow a lot faster than the other but there will be a little land between both cities to know where each city's metropolitan area ends. I think it will be a very long time before we see Atlanta's MSA consuming or at least border Macon's MSA.

It could be just wishful thinking, but I do somewhat agree with cosmoboy. As long as the kind of growth between Macon and Atlanta (mostly low-density single family homes and very little commercial) stays the same, things should be ok. Unfortunately Atlanta's MSA already border's Macon's. But like I said, as long as the development stays light then cities should stay somewhat separate (even though the dividing line between the two is starting to blur).

And for the record, here's a little interesting news about Warner Robins. It was recently named the fastest growing city (over 40,000) in Georgia. Warner Robins is also now the fastest growing city (of any size) in the state outside metro ATL. Even more surprising, more people moved to WR in last five years than to any other city in the entire state...who woulda thought lowly wartown would see growth comparable to suburban atlanta? Certainly not I. <_<

Edit: Also another interesting statistic: Since WR's MSA split from Macon's, it's now the 32nd fastest growing MSA in the country and the third fastest growing in Georgia (behind Atlanta and Gainesville).

It could be just wishful thinking, but I do somewhat agree with cosmoboy.  As long as the kind of growth between Macon and Atlanta (mostly low-density single family homes and very little commercial) stays the same, things should be ok.  Unfortunately Atlanta's MSA already border's Macon's.  But like I said,  as long as the development stays light then cities should stay somewhat separate (even though the dividing line between the two is starting to blur).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's exactly what I was thinking!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The link below proves my point about Warner Robins being a bedroom community. The industrial growth lags far behind the residential and commercial growth. Like I said before, if they don't work on Robins AFB then they work in Macon. But don't tell that to Donald Walker, Mayor of WR, in the paper a few weeks ago he said "Nothing can be done to save that place" refering to Macon's declining population and WR's growth. What he doesn't see is so go Macon goes Middle Georgia.

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/news/local/12322611.htm

• 4 months later...

Atlanta might annex Macon in the near future, I could see it happening. Hmmmmm, maybe Atlanta may annex rural South Georgia and build more subdivisions, clubs, etc.

The city can't annex outside of Fulton County. Why would they want to anyway? Forever sprawling, and spilling over into to other counties with developments seems to be working just fine for them. :thumbsup:

Archived