VeLa Pie Town/601 Lafayette (32 stories/360', 367 apartments, 4,795 sq. ft. restaurant, 396 capacity underground garage)

markhollin

Anything built in place of a great majority of the stuff currently in that area is going to be an improvement, so I'm not going to simply buy into that mentality.  This looks like an updated Tennessee Tower (former National Life) building.  After seeing their Raleigh building I was hoping for something a bit more innovative.  I don't pick-up on anything other than the base that that serves as a distinctive feature for the building.  Not that the base thrills me either. 

This residential building called the Arthaus was just completed in Philadelphia. 

Arthaus Apartments - 301 S Broad St Philadelphia, PA | Apartments.com

I was in Philly back in September and had a view of it from my hotel.  It wasn't until I walked past it that I realized it is all residential.  From my hotel room it looked like one side was residential and the other was office or hotel.  While the design is simple they are using some features and materials that help it to look like more than a rectangular tower and has visual interest.  I hope that the proposed new addition to Nashville's skyline will do the same and that I'm just having a hard time seeing it in the renderings.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

Anything built in place of a great majority of the stuff currently in that area is going to be an improvement, so I'm not going to simply buy into that mentality.  This looks like an updated Tennessee Tower (former National Life) building.  After seeing their Raleigh building I was hoping for something a bit more innovative.  I don't pick-up on anything other than the base that that serves as a distinctive feature for the building.  Not that the base thrills me either. 

This residential building called the Arthaus was just completed in Philadelphia. 

Arthaus Apartments - 301 S Broad St Philadelphia, PA | Apartments.com

I was in Philly back in September and had a view of it from my hotel.  It wasn't until I walked past it that I realized it is all residential.  From my hotel room it looked like one side was residential and the other was office or hotel.  While the design is simple they are using some features and materials that help it to look like more than a rectangular tower and has visual interest.  I hope that the proposed new addition to Nashville's skyline will do the same and that I'm just having a hard time seeing it in the renderings.

A lot of incredibly boring towers are coming to Raleigh too as least Nashville isn't afraid going taller. Anything above 18 stories will face a fury of scrutiny which leads to value engineering. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Not to get too far off track but this is somewhat a coincidence.  Nashville based Southern Land Co. has just completed Philadelphia's tallest residential tower, Laurel at Rittenhouse. Coincidentally, my neighborhood was the company's founder's (Tim Downey's) first large residential development. He started Southern Land in Chattanooga, where he grew up. This article from today's online NBJ mentions Arthaus in Philadelphia. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/12/06/laurel-rittenhouse-square-philadelphia-photos.html

• Like 4

6 hours ago, markhollin said:

Another swimming pool built in the shadow of a tall building (like Hyatt Centric).  They really should have gone with roof-top pool in this case.

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

There were a few new renderings released with the DTC submission. Official height is 361.4.

2023DTC-005-001_plan.pdf (nashville.gov)

image.thumb.png.a3ee2d995bb0f3656f57e013aa55ee12.pngimage.thumb.png.cc7cdc195ede45e1c42cd5cdedfa0831.png

vela pietown new 4.png

vela pietown new 3.png

vela pietown new 2.png

vela pietown 1.png

Idk if it’s just perspective but the Ritz looks well taller the men the Tony’s 600’ residential on the circle. I know there has been discussion if the ritz will come to fruition but these detailed of renderings give me hope for one day 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

That’s just about as “ basic boring box” as it gets. I just hope it’s not another building that is mostly STRs. A neighborhood is not built out of a collection of buildings with revolving doors of woo hoo girls, and it would be nice to see the fabric of a neighborhood woven in this part of town.

• Like 4

• markhollin changed the title to VeLa Pie Town/601 Lafayette (32 stories/360', 411 apartments, 4,795 sq. ft. restaurant, 396 capacity underground garage)