Woven - West Greenville Village

vicupstate

City Council vote was delayed until January after discussion last night it sounds like.

This quote in partcular gets me..😅

“We don’t want that big city look in our little country town,” said another West Greenville resident.

Here's the presentation that was shared with council: https://www.greenvillesc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/10227?fileID=56680

Edited by NewlyUpstate

4 hours ago, NewlyUpstate said:

City Council vote was delayed until January after discussion last night it sounds like.

Here's the presentation that was shared with council: https://www.greenvillesc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/10227?fileID=56680

People like this should just find them a Mayberry like town and go live there. Greenville isn't a "little country town" as this person said. It's the seat of the most populated region in the state.

2 hours ago, Horatio Nelson said:

It's a false choice. People think they have the choice between being a big city and a small town, but because you can't stop people from moving here the actual choice is between being an endless sprawling suburb (like Houston) or being a denser city with more managed growth.

True

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2022 at 4:43 PM, NewlyUpstate said:

Little country town? What planet is that person living on? Greenville is the largest MSA and county in the state. :lol: Maybe she meant Greenville, Iowa? :dontknow: 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

This meeting is going off the rails. Councilman Gibson is a joke.  

Not surprising. Is that even his district? These people should have stayed home and watch Georgia beat up on TCU instead. :D Just vote on the damn thing and call it a day already. If it passes it passes. If it doesn’t it doesn’t. Reminds me of the US House taking 15 votes to approve Kevin McCarthy for speaker. The DRB meeting while it had its moments sounds like it was way more civilized than this one. 

Edited by gman430

Amendments approved with project: 

Any additional units must be affordable; if the proportion of affordable units changes, it has to go back to council; developer must meet with residents re park design; signage; deed restrictions for the below-market rate biz spaces.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gman430 said:

Excellent.

edit: the vote was 4-3. I imagine it was Fleming, Dowe, and Gibson who voted no. 

Doesn’t Fleming always vote no. It’s her MO.  At least Carlos got it right this time and didn’t give wrong information like last time, 

Edited by apaladin

1 hour ago, apaladin said:

Doesn’t Fleming always vote no. It’s her MO.  At least Carlos got it right this time and didn’t give wrong information like last time, 

Dowe is the one who always votes no when it comes to economic development projects in and around downtown. She was the only one to vote against the County Square project. 

Edited by gman430

9 hours ago, gman430 said:

Construction to start towards the end of this year. Here is what the mayor said at the meeting: 

“Every time we talk about affordable housing it’s always ‘oh not in my backyard, not here, it’s too big. No no, it’s too big,’ yes, it’s always a little bit too big that’s the only way you can do it. People in Charlotte would understand this argument, people in Atlanta would understand this argument, people in New York City and Brooklyn. It’s the same argument, same argument. With affordable housing it goes back to but how passionately do you feel about this. People have to have a place to live.”

But, but, but this is Mayberry. That's what they think. Lol.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, motonenterprises said:

But, but, but this is Mayberry. That's what they think. Lol.

True.

I certainly sympathize with the concerns of residents being pushed out because of gentrification.   But I was also troubled by the race-based animosity of some, criticizing the “white men” who voted in favor of the project.   

1 hour ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

True.

I certainly sympathize with the concerns of residents being pushed out because of gentrification.   But I was also troubled by the race-based animosity of some, criticizing the “white men” who voted in favor of the project.   

Well. I'm ethnic myself. I'd rather see a nice development vs a blighted drug riddled neighborhood. That has nothing to do with pushing out a certain race or group. Plus, I feel an investor has a right to sell his property vs sitting collecting cheap rent that is barely enough to keep the house up. I've been in that position. I'd sell to a development in a heartbeat.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

On PC agenda for this month:

D. Z-10-2022 FDP NOT A PUBLIC HEARING
Application by Brian P. Schick, Michael H Watts and Ryan Johnston for a FINAL DEVELOPMENT PLAN on approximately 2.98 acres located at PENDELTON. TRACTION, SMITH, AND SACO STREETS for Z- 10-2022. (“WOVEN”) (TM# 0118001300200, 0118001300300, 0118001300501, 0118001300500, 0118001302800, 0118001302700, 0118001302600, 0118001302500, 0118001302400, 0118001400200, 0118001400300, 0118001400400)

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Council also approved third reading of an ordinance that would give the developers of the woven project a line of credit.

The project is a mixed-use development that will have 214 apartment units, retail space and affordable housing. The final vote was 7 to 5.

https://www.wyff4.com/article/tensions-rise-between-greenville-county-council-members-as-meeting-abruptly-ends-tuesday/45213781#

• Like 1