The Canopy (Under Construction)

baobabs727

We’ll that looks very promising. With a rooftop restaurant + destination retail, I could see this being very popular w/ locals and tourists alike, and maybe could spur further redevelopment in the vicinity in some of the other underutilized properties. 
I don’t understand why these sort of developments aren’t highlighted at State of City, but either way, that Laskin Rd. corridor will look completely different in the next few years. It’s clearly one of the most desirable locations in all of the area, close to the beach, next to the interstate, Hilltop, etc. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, varider said:

We’ll that looks very promising. With a rooftop restaurant + destination retail, I could see this being very popular w/ locals and tourists alike, and maybe could spur further redevelopment in the vicinity in some of the other underutilized properties. 
I don’t understand why these sort of developments aren’t highlighted at State of City, but either way, that Laskin Rd. corridor will look completely different in the next few years. It’s clearly one of the most desirable locations in all of the area, close to the beach, next to the interstate, Hilltop, etc. 

I agree. The office component at 50K sf and the destination retail, plus the potential for a Steinhilber's East with rooftop dining, all make for a most intriguing project.  Additionally, there is an extensive use of solar panels, at least 2 green roofs and a garden-park with a tree canopy protecting the wetlands to the South and offering the general public the chance to unwind amidst the natural surroundings.  And yes, this location is prime, indeed.  I always thought that if things had moved along a bit quicker with Linkhorn Annex, i.e., the re-development of the parcel occurring during during the last great real estate bull market of the early-mid 2000's (before the current Hilltop SGA was written),  we would've likely seen gated, for-sale, high end townhomes/condos/single family.  Times have changed. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • vdogg pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

On the Planning Commission agenda.

“The applicant is proposing to rezone the parcel to the B‐4 Mixed Use District for the redevelopment of the property with up to 132 multifamily dwelling units, 50,000 square feet of office space, 10,000 square feet of destination retail, and a 9,000 square foot restaurant.”

I don’t think there’s anything new that wasn’t already shared by baobabs FOIA. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Planning approved this development with a few changes.  The proposal will go before City Council on 6 September.

Changes:   There will now be an additional 6,000 sf outparcel developed at the corner of Laskin and Winwood--a  single story restaurant (see rendering, below).  The developer is planning on installing a traffic signal at that intersection, even though staff says it's not warranted.  Additionally, the developer has asked for a reduction in the setback for Laskin (3 ft) and Winwood (10 ft) .  

https://www.vbgov.com/government/departments/planning/boards-commissions-committees/Documents/PC/2022/08 August/20220810-PLN-CUR-04_TFJG Canopy%2c LLC.pdf

Screenshot (37).png

Screenshot (39).png

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

City Council was briefed on this project this past week during their informal session. Moss had pointed questions about parking studies and methods of construction. He said he would refrain from any additional comment until the vote. Mrs. Henley pointed out that we should let the public know we are not running afoul of the Navy’s concerns for that property given its history, but she questioned why a property in her borough in the same Aicuz noise zone as this project  was being questioned re: it’s rezoning… (Navy noise) when, in contrast to the Canopy @ 132 units, her subject property involved only a single family home. Also, it was pointed out that the rezoning here was to accommodate the mixed-use component (which is part of the strategic plan for hilltop anyway),  and that the property was zoned for apartments by right as it is.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • vdogg changed the title to The Canopy (Approved)
  • 4 months later...
3 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

Demolition was set to begin last month and construction this month.  Neither have taken place. The Laskin Rd bridge replacement and road widening project is officially one year behind schedule and is now slated to be completed Spring 2024.

This project will be adjacent to Canopy and was recently submitted to planning. I know that Franklin Johnston worked with Timmons on the Canopy project so perhaps the scope has changed. IF that is the case and there is a connection, I wouldn’t expect to see any movement until this portion has made it through the planning process.BF5499A6-6710-4EEF-B519-E12750578E10.thumb.jpeg.e4d8b43c9eca7de8a90487b71b8ecdcd.jpeg

1 hour ago, vdogg said:

This project will be adjacent to Canopy and was recently submitted to planning. I know that Franklin Johnston worked with Timmons on the Canopy project so perhaps the scope has changed. IF that is the case and there is a connection, I wouldn’t expect to see any movement until this portion has made it through the planning process.BF5499A6-6710-4EEF-B519-E12750578E10.thumb.jpeg.e4d8b43c9eca7de8a90487b71b8ecdcd.jpeg

This is a Breeden project on the rear portion of the Friends School. The site is at the western end of Reynard Drive along I-264. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

It appears that leasing activity is picking up, with several items listed and updated as of May 1st. The Laskin Road project experienced serious delays, with the original finish date pushed back a year from spring of 2023 to spring of 2024. The Canopy was supposed to begin demolition Dec 2022, so extrapolating, I'll put demolition beginning Dec 2023 as they appear to be trying to time the start of construction with the end of the Laskin rd project.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/3/2023 at 11:14 AM, vdogg said:

It appears that leasing activity is picking up, with several items listed and updated as of May 1st. The Laskin Road project experienced serious delays, with the original finish date pushed back a year from spring of 2023 to spring of 2024. The Canopy was supposed to begin demolition Dec 2022, so extrapolating, I'll put demolition beginning Dec 2023 as they appear to be trying to time the start of construction with the end of the Laskin rd project.

Fences are up around the building, and there appears to be a pile of rubble behind the old school. The old asphalt play lot  on the extreme NW corner of the property (slated for a standalone restaurant), has been dug up, as well.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • vdogg changed the title to The Canopy (Under Construction)
  • 3 months later...

This city, man, I tell you. We can't even build a road anymore... Laskin completion delayed until at least 2025. No word on how this affects The Canopy, though I suspect it will have a significant impact since they delayed construction until the expected (already delayed) completion time of Spring 2024...

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/local/mycity/virginia-beach/laskin-road-project-delayed-2025-virginia-beach-hilltop/291-a6ce404f-1696-4ad5-b85c-fec5a8291dd5?fbclid=IwAR1CacCF0HXuzUiDsaPI356gxjSFmEEmIuZK-YgVf6SUa3_be_y9WlYu6wA

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/28/2024 at 4:15 PM, vdogg said:

This city, man, I tell you. We can't even build a road anymore... Laskin completion delayed until at least 2025. No word on how this affects The Canopy, though I suspect it will have a significant impact since they delayed construction until the expected (already delayed) completion time of Spring 2024...

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/local/mycity/virginia-beach/laskin-road-project-delayed-2025-virginia-beach-hilltop/291-a6ce404f-1696-4ad5-b85c-fec5a8291dd5?fbclid=IwAR1CacCF0HXuzUiDsaPI356gxjSFmEEmIuZK-YgVf6SUa3_be_y9WlYu6wA

This is my favorite part of the article.

"Kelley said there are 11 miles of "pipes" that can be found underneath two miles of the roadway. When crews went to remove the pipes marked as abandoned, they found several were still active."

Edited by urbanlife
  • Confused 1