Eleven North Portman (three 16 story towers, mixed-use residential w/ existing Eleven Eleven Apts, internal garage)

markhollin

1 hour ago, colemangaines said:

Edit: Just checked the DTC and this lot is in the "Core" subsection that allows 30 stories by rights, and has some of the most generous bonus height rules. Hopefully they push this upwards before it's all said and done.

This property is actually in the Gulch South subdistrict. It does fall under the Mid-Gulch Intersections sub-sub-district which allows for 20 stories by right with up to 28 stories when factoring in bonus height. Going beyond 28 would require an overall height modification.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

Who owns the strip of land the greenway runs through between Eleven Eleven and CSX?   I’d hate to lose this greenway segment.  

There is a VERY wide swath of land CSX owns that is just vacant land of weeds between the yard tracks and the existing greenway from Charlotte to the Church Street viaduct.  You can see this from the viaduct. and in this  photo.  I would estimate the land is about half as large as the NY strip between  10th and the railyard.  The Greenway was relocated forAsurion.  IMO a similar relocation could easily make this area support a much bigger sized development of residential towers.  As to hating to lose that segment. have you ever looked 5 feet from the greenway there into the trees  toward the railyard.  It was and is a continuous strp of homeless encampment,  their latrines and garbage.    They cleaned up under the lower viaduct finally which for decades was a garbage dump until Asurion moved in.  Folks need to get real and not praise the Greenway without insisting on cleaning this area up and making the Greenway safe!  If some of you don't believe this, I will be happy to lead a group to show y'all how nasty it really is there some weekend.  I haven't been down there in a year or so, but I would be gobsmacked it has been cleaned up.

516382727_ElevenNorthPortmanJune92022site2.thumb.jpeg.7d9bdf37e2cbcd6b631758d3c052c622.jpg

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CenterHill said:

Who owns the strip of land the greenway runs through between Eleven Eleven and CSX?   I’d hate to lose this greenway segment.  

The Greenway actually runs through private property of the company that bought it. That is going to be part of the plan. Rerouting the Greenway and connecting it to the Church St bridge via another bike bridge

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, colemangaines said:

I run down this section of the Greenway 1 or 2 times a week. It really isn't that bad. It definitely used to be worse under Church Street, but that's been improved massively. As for the "continuous strip of homeless encampment" it's literally one guy, and has been just him for a long time now. Also I think that's more of an issue of there being a sliver of trees on CSX's land. It looks like on parcel viewer that Eleven North's land abuts to the gravel on CSX's land, except for a small bunch of trees right below Charlotte Ave. If the greenway was built in such a way that it was right against the gravel on CSX's land, just like it is behind Asurion, I think it would be totally fine.

Agree with you.  I also run and bike on the greenway and have no issues with the homeless camper guy.  Sure I’m aware he’s there, but he doesn’t bother anyone on the greenway.    Same with campers along the Cumberland greenway along the riverfront.   Some people are bothered by this, I guess, but the greenway here along the CSX tracks is a great amenity for downtown residents and workers.   The reason for my asking is simply that I’d hate to lose it.   So, good to hear the intent is to retain the greenway even if it ends up being relocated slightly.    Thanks, all.  

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

This could be a bigger topic (that could be taken up in the greenway thread) but part of Nashville’s issue with the lack of connection and a central green space. We have small pockets, but a lack of good connections - or at least better known connections - makes the greenways feel less connected. I always use the Olmstead designed Emerald Necklace as a great connector through a city. We won’t ever have a Central Park, but a better connected line would be nice. 

It's come a long way in the last decade, and plenty more plans in the works.  I feel that by 2030, much more of it will be connected, especially around the the core.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, markhollin said:

It's come a long way in the last decade, and plenty more plans in the works.  I feel that by 2030, much more of it will be connected, especially around the the core.

And that will be great, but one of the big missing pieces will be the gathering areas along the greenways. Greenways are more than just narrow slivers of land with paved paths for walking and riding. They really need anchors. Think Central Park, Boston Commons/Gardens or any of the green space along the water in Chicago. It is more than just connected paths and Nashville needs to realize this. 

• Like 3

• 9 months later...