Jump to content

924 N. Magnolia Avenue | Mixed Use Residential [Proposed]


Jernigan

Recommended Posts


On 6/12/2022 at 7:44 PM, JFW657 said:

Say anything about height or number of floors?

The north tower would be taller of the two, with 19 stories and a building height of 235 feet, while the east tower would be 17 stories. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Odd looking building yet conceivably a desirable location between North Quarter (still dislike that name) and Ivanhoe Village with views of Lake Ivanhoe and downtown.

Very convenient to most downtown neighborhoods.  

There is going to be a walling off effect of Lake Ivanhoe along the eastern shores between Lakeshore, Ivanhoe Place, Doubletree (or whatever it is these days), and perhaps this development.  The development north of downtown has become more visually intriguing lately over anything downtown. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the design a lot and think the location is great.  I would love to live in that building (probably couldn't afford it).  It is right on the Orlando Urban Trail, great views in all directions, close enough to downtown, but not having to be in it, and walking distance to Ivanhoe Village, also close to College Park.  

I like both this and the Lake House building a lot.  Would be even better if there were a North Quarter area grocery store. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

I like the design a lot and think the location is great.  I would love to live in that building (probably couldn't afford it).  It is right on the Orlando Urban Trail, great views in all directions, close enough to downtown, but not having to be in it, and walking distance to Ivanhoe Village, also close to College Park.  

I like both this and the Lake House building a lot.  Would be even better if there were a North Quarter area grocery store. 

agreed. Put a trader joe's on the orlando sentinel site and i bet it would be packed 24/7. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

Odd looking building yet conceivably a desirable location between North Quarter (still dislike that name) and Ivanhoe Village with views of Lake Ivanhoe and downtown.

Very convenient to most downtown neighborhoods.  

There is going to be a walling off effect of Lake Ivanhoe along the eastern shores between Lakeshore, Ivanhoe Place, Doubletree (or whatever it is these days), and perhaps this development.  The development north of downtown has become more visually intriguing lately over anything downtown. 

Yeah North Quarter is quite a terrible name for a neighborhood.  Central Florida/Orlando sucks with naming things. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

NOLA’s French Quarter seems to do fine but then it’s actually interesting. Other than the Marks St Senior Center (which someone was all but ready to level yesterday), North Quarter is just a string of boring boxes. 

Had they saved the old Florida National Bank building (what amazing apartments it would have made!) and The Lunch Basket (the lot still empty years later as our mouths water for Orlando’s best meatloaf sammich), there could be actual variety and diversity befitting of the “quarter” designation.

We won’t even think about the demolition of the unique American Legion hall at the northern entrance to the block. I consider that one to be Mayor Bill’s biggest faux pas as mayor.

Not to worry. Orlando will keep building boring boxes because the city’s imagination appears to have all drained to the Imagineers southwest of town.
 

Edited by spenser1058
Link to comment
Share on other sites

LOL, there are a couple of other things, the old Chamber building and pocket park next to it that was going to become Holocaust museum would be pretty cool.  The building at 1001 N Orange Ave is a cool older building, and not sure if you count the Power House in NQ or Lake Highland, but I kind-of consider it part of NQ because it is in the park areas connecting NQ to Lake Ivanhoe and Lake Highland. You now have the OUT connecting all the way through NQ, which should help a bit with street activation of the neighborhood. 

Oh, and the Mini Statue of Liberty. Lol. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

LOL, there are a couple of other things, the old Chamber building and pocket park next to it that was going to become Holocaust museum would be pretty cool.  The building at 1001 N Orange Ave is a cool older building, and not sure if you count the Power House in NQ or Lake Highland, but I kind-of consider it part of NQ because it is in the park areas connecting NQ to Lake Ivanhoe and Lake Highland. You now have the OUT connecting all the way through NQ, which should help a bit with street activation of the neighborhood. 

Oh, and the Mini Statue of Liberty. Lol. 

I was only counting on Orange and Magnolia specifically, but I concur with those other buildings. It’s just the strip along Orange and Magnolia is so bleh.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

GS says "Acram Group fine tunes design for Magnolia tower"

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-acram-arb-mixed-use-tower-orlando-20220721-qudgzsrw65he7cosghrjs7yctm-story.html

"On the upper floors, the developer will offer a “robust amenity package” for residents that will include a pool deck on the roof of the parking garage, recessed outdoor plazas on the east and north towers and a two-story clubhouse with a fitness center and co-working space. “And as you move up to the top of the tower we see kind of a residents’ private club up there, as well as some outdoor space with the trees,” Lazovik said. “That gives you some special views looking back into the CBD.”

ARB is concerned about the impact on the senior center next door, one member said, "look forward to seeing more of how things get scaled down to the senior center next door, because right now it does feel very intimidating, but also by working with that front edge, the retail front edge and scaling that down, I think that’ll add more benefits to that senior center and overall area."

Bottom line, "“It’s a little early to speak to a construction schedule,” he said. “I think we were very conservative in terms of the way we approach projects like this in a newer market, so it’s not like we’re trying to go as quickly as possible as soon as you put a shovel in the ground, especially in the current environment relative to costs.”

 

image.thumb.jpeg.6630e472c02ae383c1deddf9cfe3d8a7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.64aeb44fd721ccb88a8439931691bcb8.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, AmIReal said:

GS says "Acram Group fine tunes design for Magnolia tower"

ARB is concerned about the impact on the senior center next door, one member said, "look forward to seeing more of how things get scaled down to the senior center next door, because right now it does feel very intimidating, but also by working with that front edge, the retail front edge and scaling that down, I think that’ll add more benefits to that senior center and overall area."

Translation:  It's gonna get the ever lovin' you-know-what Orlando'd out of it. 

14 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Bottom line, "“It’s a little early to speak to a construction schedule,” he said. “I think we were very conservative in terms of the way we approach projects like this in a newer market, so it’s not like we’re trying to go as quickly as possible as soon as you put a shovel in the ground, especially in the current environment relative to costs.”

Translation: We produced some pretty pictures of a pretty building which you'll be able to add to your "DTO building proposals that never got built" folder. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 6/15/2022 at 3:05 PM, spenser1058 said:

NOLA’s French Quarter seems to do fine but then it’s actually interesting. Other than the Marks St Senior Center (which someone was all but ready to level yesterday), North Quarter is just a string of boring boxes. 

Had they saved the old Florida National Bank building (what amazing apartments it would have made!) and The Lunch Basket (the lot still empty years later as our mouths water for Orlando’s best meatloaf sammich), there could be actual variety and diversity befitting of the “quarter” designation.

We won’t even think about the demolition of the unique American Legion hall at the northern entrance to the block. I consider that one to be Mayor Bill’s biggest faux pas as mayor.

Not to worry. Orlando will keep building boring boxes because the city’s imagination appears to have all drained to the Imagineers southwest of town.
 

The Lunch Basket is a loss — little buildings and establishments like that push way above their weight in the character department. 
While they bulldoze these in the city center, they then pop up as imitations in lifestyle centers around town. A sad irony…

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.