Best Pizza- no chains please

I've been here 13 years now, and I have yet to find great pizza. Any recomendations?

My Favorite is the new Luigi's Pizza on 49(South Tryon). In the shopping center with Super Wally.

I hear Brooklyn Brothers is good! I do not get toward North Charlotte much. I have tried Fuel, and they are hit and miss.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i like brixx pizza and loop pizza.  although they are chains, they are local/nc chains. 

Fuel is good for late night pizza, but you are right, it is unpredictable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where is the loop? Brixx is not really a chain, but here in Charlotte. I like their uptown location. I mean't Papa John's, Dominos, etc

I want something different, but not the same ole chains that around the house.

:thumbsup:

The Loop is on Park Road. Close to the Park/Woodlawn intersection....(decent pizza)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

they just opened that loop next to the starbucks in the park road shopping center area... it is an nc chain, with one in chapel hill, and i think a couple others.

Wolfman, Brixx, Mellow Mushroom (yeah they're a chain but not like Pizza Hut et al).. and one more i forgot to mention, Portofino's

^ Is that the shopping center with the Spanish tile roofing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think The Loop is right before Park Towne Village, in The Shops at Montoford http://www.theghazicompany.com/existing_montford.htm if you're heading north on Park Road.. Park towne Village http://www.theghazicompany.com/existing.htm has the tiled roofing and there's already a Bertucci's Brick Oven Pizza there

Brooklyn South Pizzaria

(704) 896-2928

19911-C N. Cove Rd

Cornelius, NC 28031

-Very good pizza, the best New York style pizza I have had in Charlotte, and that's not saying much. A lot of places in Charlotte claim to have good NY style pizza because they are either from NY or Italy. I personally think the reason NY style pizza taste so good is because NY has certain minerals in the tap water that the dough is made from and without using the same tap water to make the dough, it is hard to duplicate. None the less this place still has good pizza.

Luisa' Brick Oven Pizza

(704) 522-8782

1730 Abbey Pl.

-Okay I haven't been here yet, but I have talked to some people that have, and they claim it's the best pizza in Charlotte. It's near Woodland and Park Rd.

Paventi's Pizzeria

6434 W Sugar Creek Rd

Charlotte, NC 28269

-Honorable mention, I was a little disapointed because the crust was a bit over cooked,and a little chewy. I will have to try them again to give them a second chance. But the Stomboli's where really tasty so that kinda made up for it.

Hawthorne's NY Pizza

(704) 358-9339

1701 E 7th St

Charlotte, NC 28204

-Good Brick Oven style pizza, similar to Brixx,but even more similiar to Mellow Mushroom.

i know this is probably a chain, but i think bertucci's pizza is pretty good. mellow mushroom has a couple models of pies that i be lovin'. the n. davidson location has a bocci court, in which you will often find me, friday after work.

besides brixx, are there any good pies uptown? might be a good business for anyone wanting to make some dough. (pun totally intended)

I'm assuming Toppers isn't a chain as I had never heard of it before moving here.  I've never had a bad pizza from there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Topper's is a chain.

But, what is wrong with liking a chain?

Most places are chains (in my mind, if you have more than two locations....you are a chain).

If someone likes Pizza Hut or Domino's or Brooklyn's South (yes they have more than one location)...then so be it.

Haven't found a pizza place down here that makes truely good north Jersy/NYC pizza. But I worked at one of the highest rated pizza places in norther NJ so im a bit picky.

Luisa' Brick Oven Pizza

(704) 522-8782

1730 Abbey Pl.

-Okay I haven't been here yet, but I have talked to some people that have, and they claim it's the best pizza in Charlotte. It's near Woodland and Park Rd.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Decent pizza for all you can eat, but dont go during the lunch hour rush, they dont bring them out quick enough....

Depends on what type of pizza you prefer (speciality, thin crust, Chicago style etc..) If you're looking for just a plain old good slice of Jersey/NYC style pizza though, I'd say Tony's up on Exit 18 (I-77 near reames road and mount holly huntersville road).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tony's is probably the best iv'e found, but they have awsome chicken parm subs, so I eat one of those every time im up that way.

Loop is pretty good, but if you go accross the street(Montford), Angry Al's has surprisingly good pizza. Its a bar but they make some great personal pies.

On a side note, if you go down Montford to Moosehead Grill, they have probably the best wings in Charlotte. Try them blackend, I like them even better then Midtown Sundries barbalo. But im sure we could start a thread on best wings as well...

Brooklyn South Pizzaria

(704) 896-2928

19911-C N. Cove Rd

Cornelius, NC 28031

-Very good pizza, the best New York style pizza I have had in Charlotte, and that's not saying much. A lot of places in Charlotte claim to have good NY style pizza because they are either from NY or Italy. I personally think the reason NY style pizza taste so good is because NY has certain minerals in the tap water that the dough is made from and without using the same tap water to make the dough, it is hard to duplicate. None the less this place still has good pizza.

That is actually very true (about the water). We moved to Charlotte 2 years ago, and when my grandparents came to visit, my grandfather tried to make pizza (he is from Italy. He makes his own pizza and it's really good) and we couldn't get the dough to rise right. So, the next time they came to visit he brought jugs of water from NY and it worked, lol. Oh well, but there is a place owned by people from NY that just opened in Carmel Commons off 51 that has some pretty good pizza, and Anzi's in Stonecrest is alright.

Archived