Best Pizza- no chains please

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Luisa' Brick Oven Pizza is where I go when I want a good pie. Nothing I have seen in Charlotte beats this place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, we went to Luisa's last night and were very disappointed. The pizza was just okay. It was a little burnt and pretty expensive ($18 for a 17 inch). Plus, the people working there were awful, and we noticed on the way out that their sanitation grade was like 82%.

Brooklyn's South is definitely some pretty good pizza for being here in Charlotte. I live in Cramerton a little past Belmont and there are a few good pizza places near me. Portofino's has some pretty good pizza. The best pizza however in my opinion is a little hole in the wall place called Sub Corral on Wilkinson Blvd. in Belmont. Its truly got that super greasy NY look to it and its got that same paper thin crust. Maybe I'm old fashioned but nothing beats a good old straight cheese pizza. The only problem I found with that place is that it seems to take them longer than anyone else in the world to make a pizza. Its not uncommon to wait 25-35 minutes for a pizza when you dine in. I don't really eat much pizza unless I am visiting my family in NY, but Sub Corral does a pretty darn good job. If you are ever out that way definitely give it a try. Its really easy to get to from Charlotte too. Just go straight west on Wilkinson and it will be on your right just after you cross into Belmont. If you take 85, get off at the Belmont-Mount Holly exit and go towards Belmont. Make a left onto Wilkinson and it's about 100 yards on the left.

My first post, had to reply, I love Pizza.

The best in Charlotte is Portofino's. There is one at Eastway and Central and one on Park Rd.

As someone who has had his share of NYC pizza, Portofino's ranks up there with the best. Dont miss the Calzones there either.

That is actually very true (about the water). We moved to Charlotte 2 years ago, and when my grandparents came to visit, my grandfather tried to make pizza (he is from Italy. He makes his own pizza and it's really good) and we couldn't get the dough to rise right. So, the next time they came to visit he brought jugs of water from NY and it worked, lol. Oh well, but there is a place owned by people from NY that just opened in Carmel Commons off 51 that has some pretty good pizza, and Anzi's in Stonecrest is alright.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, you and your Grandparents should open up a pizza shop using real NY water to make the dough. That would be alsome and I bet it would get tons of business. There is this one Pizza joint in California that actually had the NY city water tested to see what types and percetages of minerals where in it, then had the water specialy recreated so they could use it in their dough. Never been to the place but it is quite successful.

The best in Charlotte is Portofino's.  There is one at Eastway and Central and one on Park Rd.

As someone who has had his share of NYC pizza, Portofino's ranks up there with the best.  Dont miss the Calzones there either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi, Welcome. Yeah I reccomend the calzones at Portofino's too

Wow, you and your Grandparents should open up a pizza shop using real NY water to make the dough. That would be alsome and I bet it would get tons of business. There is this one Pizza joint in California that actually had the NY city water tested to see what types and percetages of minerals where in it, then had the water specialy recreated so they could use it in their dough. Never been to the place but it is quite successful.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We have joked around about it years ago (if we did, it would of been on Long Island, where we live), but he's too old to open a business, and none of us can make it like he can.

Does anyone know what happened to the restaurant La Strada (sp?).

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the restaurant was still open, last time I checked.  It is over off of 51 near Pineville.  They have some pretty good pizza.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

La Strada on 51 is closed. It is a new Italian resturant now.

Wow, what a response I am getting here. Pizza is no 1 in the Queen city! I prefer Chicago style thin Crust myself, but no one comes close to Rosati's pizza that we had back home. Porofinos is good, and I love their calzones. I have tried Brixx recently, and I love their uptown location. When i was talking about no chains, I meant no dominos, pizza hut, cicis, or papa johns. These other locations that everyone have mentioned are local chains. I should have said national chains. lol

Thanks for the input. I have seen many people upset with the quality of NY Style pizza. I heard it had to do with the way the dough rises here, and also with what is in NYC water. I still love Luigi's, I am kinda their spokesperson. I have sent many NYers there and they usually are happy. The pizza is way better then La Strada used to be.

Does anyone know what happened to the restaurant La Strada (sp?).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

La Srada is now open in Wesley Chapel by the Harris Teeter on HWY 84. I used to eat at the Central Ave location back in the 70s when they first started. Man I'm getting old!

Lunchtime?

Latta Pizza (in Latta Square on Tryon) is only $5.30 for two slices and a drink. And that includes tax.

It can be soggy sometimes, but the guy there puts lots more toppings on than the (many) Fuel pizza stops in uptown do. And it's almost 3 bucks cheaper...

I only go to Fuel now if I'm really in a rush, and don't wanna walk a few extra blocks.

Hawthorne's has the best pizza in town, not like brixx at all.  Ny style.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Born and raised a Yankee and I like my pizza NY style. Charlotte has a handful of decent places but most are fru-fru pizza that do nothing for me.

1. Fuel - Usually excellent, sometime not (9.5 when it is on).

2. Carmella's (Carmel Commons - 51) Very Very good (9 out of 10)

3. Hawthornes - Very good. (9 out of 10)

4. Mellow Mushroom - Good but not NY Style (8 out of 10).

I have tried the rest and rarely return to any (except maybe to Brixx when they have draft beer night). Carmella's has the best that most people don't know about. It is a hole in the wall in the Carmel Commons shopping center between Salsas and Baskin Robbins. The place is pretty much take out only (about 3 small tables). The pizza is outstanding. I love Fuel pizza as it was the one and only decent NYC pizza for years when I moved down here. 95% of the time the pizza at Fuel is the best in town...sometimes if you are getting a reheated slice it isn't the best...but a fresh made pie to order...oh my!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Based on this thread I went out and tried Brooklyn South. I must say this is the closest you will find to true NY style pizza in the Charlotte area. If you are a transplant like me, I HIGHLY suggest that you take the hike up to Lake Norman and try it out!!

the calzones are great too!

• 3 weeks later...

The best in Charlotte is Portofino's.  There is one at Eastway and Central and one on Park Rd.

As someone who has had his share of NYC pizza, Portofino's ranks up there with the best.  Dont miss the Calzones there either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are good.

• 5 weeks later...

Ok i'm totally breaking a rule by puttin a chain in here

but i went to Uno Pizzaria & Chicago Grill (the one in High Point, there's a Charlotte and Concord location too) and they had some of the best pizza i've ever had.

I had the specialty one, the farmers market vegetable... so yum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I completely agree with you. Uno is the best pizza available in Charlotte for sure. I don't want any wimpy NY style pizza--I love thick Chicago style.

• 2 years later...

Archived