Demonbreun Hill, Phase I (22 stories/264', 333 residential units, 11,000 sq. ft. of ground level retail, 5 level 340 capacity garage)

markhollin

2 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Thank you.  I knew it was somewhere around there.  I spent a summer in Nashville back in 1994 after graduating from Ole Miss and before moving to Knoxville.  My memory is pretty fuzzy.  I probably killed a few brain cells that summer.  It was a fun summer.  And at the eastern part of the roundabout where Division and Demonbreun sort of meet, where there's a high-rise apartment tower now, I think back in 1994 there was just a Barbara Mandrell photo processing store there.  Even back then I thought that was a ridiculously poor use of such a prominent piece of property.

Google Streetview from 2007:

image.thumb.png.59a1af6d63add8cb5be1e579d9647ca3.png

And from this past February.

image.thumb.png.75d0effc62574966e482e9b9ccce93e5.png

This was not just a small photo processing shp.  The Barbra Mandrell Country building was a quite large and housed a museum as well.  It was a lot nicer than the junk across Demonbreum.

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Baronakim said:

This was not just a small photo processing shp.  The Barbra Mandrell Country building was a quite large and housed a museum as well.  It was a lot nicer than the junk across Demonbreum.

Thanks for the correction.  I wonder where I saw the photo processing shop.

14 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

There was a Barbara Mandrell One Hour Photo that was a small portion of the large museum building & I seem to recall prominent signage for it on the building’s exterior.

It was in a small, boxy facility freestanding in the east side parking lot.  The lower floor entrance on that side housed a recording studio where you could make your own cassette recording to a large list of song musical backgrounds.  I did "Memories" from Cats..  The upper floors were all musuem and gift ship.  The entrance was from Division Street for the upper floor.

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Was your version as MEMORABLE as Betty Buckley’s?

Fair.  But I had never seen the lyrics fully at the time,; it was one of the few non-Country Western tracks they had..  I had an operatic tenor that was rather powerful.  I can still belt out some Italiuan classics.  The garage elevator lobby in Loew's Vanderbilt Plaza where I worked had extraordinary acoustics.  Some folks thought I was a visting opera pro one day with Nessun Dorma while waiting for the lift.  I can still rattle the rafters at 75 though with The Star Spangled Banner.

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

There was a Barbara Mandrell One Hour Photo that was a small portion of the large museum building & I seem to recall prominent signage for it on the building’s exterior.

And there was a Barbara Mandrell sign with changeable letters (like the Exit In sign) on the west side of the building.   I remember for a while they put up the letters "SHE'S DAZZLING!",  lol.     I once bought an Elvis coffee mug in the Barbara Mandrell gift shop.   Still have it!   

• Like 1

Those photos make me cringe but also serve as a reminder; whenever you think that there's too much change/development going on in Nashville that many of us used to live with this.  I remember Demonbreun being one of the tackiest stretches of road in town.  By the mid-90s it had actually started to improve a bit.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2022 at 9:07 PM, Nashhole said:

I've lived here a long time and this is welcome news (although I'll be moving soon anyways). The new Vibes bar has been an unmitigated disaster for this area and I'm surprised it hasn't been padlocked. Demonbreun was always a bit rowdy, but mostly in a sports bar way. The existing establishments were always good about toning the party down on weeknights and keeping things mostly civil. Ever since Vibes and 3000 went in, this has become a legitimately dangerous area. There have been tons of shootings including a murder and also a person in one of the apartments getting hit by a stray bullet. At one point I was hearing gunshots about once a week. It's also become a popular spot for drag racing (literally do not understand this). I guarantee it is more of a noise nuisance than anything on Broadway. There's no enforcement of any kind in the area anymore. I feel a bit bad if Tin Roof gets the boot since that's the original one and 20 years for a bar is a pretty good run. But I'd welcome a bulldozer to the whole thing if it means a return to some sort of safety (and fun) in that area. 

You're exactly right.  I'm  9-1-1 dispatcher, and the bars down there have really turned into such a bad element.  I even took the call from the lady who got hit from the stray bullet on an upper floor of the apartments across the street.  That's a call I will never forget.  Tear it all down and start over.  

• Like 4

Tailgate would not be affected as that is not part of the deal.  That property is another owner.

My guess is this would be implemented slowly with the short-term leases going first then the long-term leases. After construction is complete, I will bet there will be all new retail/restaurant opportunities along Demonbreun, and any disruption would be short term.

I think there may be a chance this is done in phases as well.

• Like 4

On 7/7/2022 at 10:07 PM, Nashhole said:

I've lived here a long time and this is welcome news (although I'll be moving soon anyways). The new Vibes bar has been an unmitigated disaster for this area and I'm surprised it hasn't been padlocked. Demonbreun was always a bit rowdy, but mostly in a sports bar way. The existing establishments were always good about toning the party down on weeknights and keeping things mostly civil. Ever since Vibes and 3000 went in, this has become a legitimately dangerous area. There have been tons of shootings including a murder and also a person in one of the apartments getting hit by a stray bullet. At one point I was hearing gunshots about once a week. It's also become a popular spot for drag racing (literally do not understand this). I guarantee it is more of a noise nuisance than anything on Broadway. There's no enforcement of any kind in the area anymore. I feel a bit bad if Tin Roof gets the boot since that's the original one and 20 years for a bar is a pretty good run. But I'd welcome a bulldozer to the whole thing if it means a return to some sort of safety (and fun) in that area. 

Indeed... it's changed a LOT in the few years since we held our wedding after-party at Two Bits. It was a fun neighborhood, lively but not crazy like lower broad, and a lot fewer tourists to boot. But that is just not the case anymore. It's amazing how just a couple of poorly run businesses can ruin a good thing.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • markhollin changed the title to Demonbreun Hill, Phase I (22 stories, 350 residential units, 9,336 sq. ft. of ground level retail, internal garage)
1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

The hits are coming again. No word when we will get a rendering or who the architect is. With the current SP I think they can do at least two more towers at the site. BTW, thank you Taylor for picking up on this as quickly as he did!!!!

Noted... plural! Magic 8 ball getting busy again? 

Thanks Luvemtall for the correction! Brain hiccup in my COVID affected head. 

Edited by MLBrumby
Changed from the crystal ball to M8B... duh!
  • Like 2