Proposed Downtown Amphitheater

joeDowntown

6 hours ago, Khorasaurus1 said:

Downtown GR is becoming so physically large that I agree - soon it will be hard to call it a single downtown. It will be more of a connected network of activity nodes spread over 2+ square miles. Which is a good thing! That's what vibrant cities have. 

It's amazing to think that 50 years ago GR was content to have a "downtown" that was basically just Monroe Mall and Calder Plaza. 

Yup, and the geography and Heritage Hill help with that.  We kind of have a long North/South DT with nodes starting to stretch E/W like Michigan, Fulton, Bridge, etc. I consider Leonard to the DT market actual "downtown" and it continues to grow N/S.  I'm curious if this will spur any development across the river.  GV won't do anything, but there's a lot of opportunities over there.  (Can Padnos just move already or are they afraid of all the contamination that's surely there?)

On 6/2/2023 at 3:44 PM, whitemice said:

Did you see that 601 Cherry St SE is listed for sale?  😢 The last vestiges of the Logie era are fading away. ⌛

Zillow: 601 Cherry

COLDWELL BANKER LISTING: 601 Cherry including history of house

Back when the Logies were renters on Madison and lived upstairs from me and were in the process of buying 601 Cherry, I think I remember Susan Logie telling me that they were purchasing the house for $25,000.  That included not only the house on Cherry but the carriage house in the back and the rental property behind it on Union.  The house on Cherry had been vacant for years as I remember. 

Even if my memory is off by 100%, and I don't think it is, that's an amazing price considering what Heritage Hill houses are going for now.  I think this was 1970 or 1971.  You could get some real bargains back then in the early days of the Heritage Hill Association before it really got established. 

In order to screen potential buyers I suppose, the realtors back then never put a "for sale" sign on a property that was listed in Heritage Hill and in some other changing neighborhoods.   But I knew which ones were  for sale and how much they were listed for because they'd send a notice of the listing to the owners in the mail on a postcard with all the pertinent information.  And as I've mentioned a few times over the years, I was the neighborhood mailman in the portion of Heritage Hill south of Fulton. 

I don't think 601 Cherry was ever listed. I think it was a private sale.  

Edited by walker
added interesting Coldwell Banker listing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

Acrisure Amphitheater?  Hopefully it's something decent...whether you love the Amway/DeVos/VanAndel crew or not, we don't need the Amway or DeVos/VanAndel Amphitheater.  It looks like they are they only people in town sometimes.  Seems like a quick groundbreaking...how fast can they have a new facility for everything there?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

“DTE Energy Music Theatre” 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by TheLonesomeHobo
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, mgreven said:

Acrisure Amphitheater?  Hopefully it's something decent...whether you love the Amway/DeVos/VanAndel crew or not, we don't need the Amway or DeVos/VanAndel Amphitheater.  It looks like they are they only people in town sometimes.  Seems like a quick groundbreaking...how fast can they have a new facility for everything there?

Acrisure seems like a logical choice as they've been heavily involved in naming rights for other stadiums as part of their marketing efforts (Pittsburgh Steelers, one in Palm Desert, NHL NY Islanders Main Hall).

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Acrisure seems like a logical choice as they've been heavily involved in naming rights for other stadiums as part of their marketing efforts (Pittsburgh Steelers, one in Palm Desert, NHL NY Islanders Main Hall).

Yep.  That's what I was thinking...will look nice next to the big tower they build too. (speculating...)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mgreven said:

Considering who is the private part of the public-private partnership that put the amphitheater plan together and arranged for the relocation of the trunk storm sewer, I don't think we should expect to see a name out front on the amphitheater that we haven't already seen:

MLIVE: 11-13-2020 - public-private partnership clears hurdle to redevelop land eyed for 14000 seat grand rapids amphitheater

17 minutes ago, walker said:

Considering who is the private part of the public-private partnership that put the amphitheater plan together and arranged for the relocation of the trunk storm sewer, I don't think we should expect to see a name out front on the amphitheater that we haven't already seen:

MLIVE: 11-13-2020 - public-private partnership clears hurdle to redevelop land eyed for 14000 seat grand rapids amphitheater

Rich DeVos told in his biography and other places that he was convinced over time that allowing the DeVos name to go on projects helped fundraisers to draw in other money once people knew he was in at that kind of level.  Which is the primary reason so many buildings have the DeVos name on them.  I understand Dick and Doug see similarly...  Will be interesting to see what transpires.  I'd place a bet on Acrisure in this case personally...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NoDustBusterNoMore said:

Are stadiums doing multiple naming rights now? 

"DeVos Amphitheater presents (insert act here) performing on Acrisure Stage."

Paid naming rights are a bit different than giving the bulk some of donations and getting the building named after you (Van Andel Arena, DeVos Place). It’s usually a 5-15 year naming right used for Advertising. Amway (or Nutrilite) could see it as a good advertising by opportunity, but I don’t think a family foundation would pay a multi-year contract to do so. 

Joe

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mgreven said:

That was my first thought as well. Acrisure is placing it's name on everything it can, it seems. 

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

Paid naming rights are a bit different than giving the bulk some of donations and getting the building named after you (Van Andel Arena, DeVos Place). It’s usually a 5-15 year naming right used for Advertising. Amway (or Nutrilite) could see it as a good advertising by opportunity, but I don’t think a family foundation would pay a multi-year contract to do so. 

Joe

This is a good point. I could see stuff like the "Van Andel Artist Lounge" or "Betsy Devos Concessions Plaza" lol

I agree with others that Acrisure is most likely....i suppose there is always a possibility that it isn't a local company. Pepsi Amphitheater or something. Amway would probably be the worst option IMO....though with all their layoffs in recent years I'd like to think that they wouldn't consider putting money into something like that.

• Like 1

654527571_Screenshot2023-06-14131046.thumb.png.8a1cbbc0e3cfbe81b2ab1298f3ebb13f.png

Another conceptual image...  there's those buildings on the DeVos site again.  If I had to guess I would say a hotel, residential and a new tower for a growing GR company.  I thought maybe they had thought of moving the hotel at DeVos Place, but I think the whole point of that was to have it AT DeVos

The property south of the RR tracks and Wealthy is owned by the city and not currently for sale, but I think it would be soon after the amphitheater gets built.  I did hear of a possible project at the surface lot at Market & Wealthy, but I think that may be dead.   I also heard the city is looking to acquire the Gelock property on the river.  I would assume they would make a connection to the Oxford Trail and Millennium Park

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Jonesey said:

654527571_Screenshot2023-06-14131046.thumb.png.8a1cbbc0e3cfbe81b2ab1298f3ebb13f.png

Another conceptual image...  there's those buildings on the DeVos site again.  If I had to guess I would say a hotel, residential and a new tower for a growing GR company.  I thought maybe they had thought of moving the hotel at DeVos Place, but I think the whole point of that was to have it AT DeVos

The property south of the RR tracks and Wealthy is owned by the city and not currently for sale, but I think it would be soon after the amphitheater gets built.  I did hear of a possible project at the surface lot at Market & Wealthy, but I think that may be dead.   I also heard the city is looking to acquire the Gelock property on the river.  I would assume they would make a connection to the Oxford Trail and Millennium Park

Thanks for finding this and sharing. Really neat to see what the thoughts are of the group. I'm curious about the railroad bridge across the river, if that is still used regularly or even at all. I can't imagine wanting to live right next to an active railroad track that splits a development. I do drive by that junction regularly and I never really see any trains go over the river, just over Wealthy from the train station.

Second, not in the rendering, but it's an empty lot across Market from the 230 units, 310 spaces building is a lot with a building at 431 Wealthy. It's currently for sale, asking $1.2 million (https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/431-Wealthy-St-SW-Grand-Rapids-MI/28335167/). I have to imagine that is going to be a hot spot for someone to build on, considering how close it is to this development. 

Finally, I love the height on the DeVos lots north of 131 and the smaller height further down the river toward Wealthy. I think that fits in nicely with the neighborhood. It's also encouraging to see absolutely no surface lots and garages all attached to these proposed buildings. I hope this all gets built, but I won't hold my breath. One thing I don't see is the riverwalk extending on the river on the DeVos property, it seems to meander back to Market. I'd prefer that to go all the way down the waterfront rather than back toward the street.

16 hours ago, Jonesey said:

Thank you for this. Glad to see things haven’t been downsized yet for the buildings height. 

On 6/15/2023 at 8:56 AM, Prankster said:

Thank you for this. Glad to see things haven’t been downsized yet for the buildings height. 

The towers will look great in the skyline but I'm interested in more details on the site layout. How will it address the corner of Fulton and Market (cautiously optimistic based on these drawings). How about the river? What is that space in between the towers going to be used for?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this goes in this particular thread, but the opening of this new Road Commission location frees up the Scribner spot to move things for the city of GR to move from the amphitheater site to the Scribner site.

https://www.woodtv.com/news/kent-county/kent-county-road-commission-cuts-ribbon-on-new-central-complex/

• Like 1