How long have you lived in Charlotte?

How long have you lived in Charlotte?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. How long have you lived in Charlotte?

• Your whole life
    • 25+ years
    • 18-24 years
    • 13-17 years
    • 9-12 years
    • 6-8 years
    • 3-5 years
    • 1-2 years
    • Less than one year

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted lived here my whole life, though I did live in Atlanta for a bit, but fell back in love with Charlotte, and decided this is where I wanted to live. There aren't many cities that I would ever leave for.....possibly Denver, Boston or a beach in Hawaii.

i've lived in charlotte for about 5-6 years. after graduating from chapel hill, i selected the charlotte office of my employer, (rather than dc or atl), in order to keep closer to my girlfriend still in school. At first i didn't really love the city, as i lived in a dumpy apartment off south boulevard, and thought the city was pretty ugly. It was the first time in my life, i'd really seen an obvious case of racial neighborhoods, where you cross the tracks, and it is suddenly very poor and black (think ideal way from dilworth to remount by 77). I was excited about what was going on with the trolley, uptown, etc., but couldn't find anyplace downtown i could really enjoy buying.

After a few years of traveling for my job, i eventually just quit coming back to charlotte, and dropped my apartment. when i got married, though, i rediscovered the city. First ward was all new and just what i had looked for a few years earlier. modern, attractive semi-dense housing at a decent price. We bought in 1st ward and have lived here since. I love how the neighborhood has grown, and yet it is still a diverse neighborhood where upper/middle/ and lower classes live in the same city block.

I have grown to really like the city, especially with the growth and investment in projects that i find interesting and sound.

Since 2001. Grew up in Lancaster, PA and went to college at Virginia Tech. Moved to DC right after college but left after 10 months due to cost of living. I checked out Charlotte as I liked it having visited while in school and moved down with a friend soon after.

I moved because in Charlotte I found big city living with small city pricing as opposed to the northeast. When I first moved down, I thought I'd stay for 2-3 years, but I've enjoyed the experience so much, I may live here for the rest of my life. Love the location, the weather, and its close to VT football, my biggest passion. Just got back from my ten year high school reunion this weekend in Lancaster, and that only reinforced the idea of staying down here, haha.

When I got here, Hearst Tower was only coming out of the ground. Seen a lot of residential development happen and planned for downtown. Cotton Mills, 5th and Poplar, portions of Gateway weren't even started. Light rail was still a few years away, and good portions of 485 were incomplete. I feel I've seen a lot change in such a short amount of time. I also work in the development profession, so Charlotte's urban infill projects were also a major drawing point to moving here.

Cool cool. I for one have lived here my whole life (since June 30, 1988) and I plan to continue living here for the majority of the rest of my life. My plan is to go to UNC Chapel Hill, get a job maybe that requires traveling but pays well, and after a few years settle down here in Charlotte.

i am a product of EASTERN airlines, charlotte prosperity. (my parents met @ southpark offices) i was born in charlotte memorial (carolinas medical) in 1975. grew up in waxhaw, yet finished high school @ providence. except a stint in raleigh/durham and madrid i have lived here all my life. i have loved it, hated it, and currently love it. charlotte has grown unbelievably in my days and seems to be doing so with grace. one thing i have found to be charlotte's greatest attribute...is it's people. i chose to stay here for that reason over what i wanted out of a city in terms of culture or ashetics. i made a great choice. i once felt alienated here, as i felt i had nothing in common with the city's conservative nature. i now smile everyday @ this city as i round her on 2-77, because she is becoming the city i had hoped. we still have a long way to go but thats understood.

*a note to those who have not found their place here yet. i found this to be difficult @ times... however i can say i have seen it all here. charlotte has a nice "underground" scene. alot of things to do that you won't find in the creative loafing are happening. if your sincere, networking is very easy in this town. charlotte is not so big that you feel like a small fish in a big pond. so don't give up - there are many a golden souls here.

I've lived here my whole life basically, though I did spend a few months in Chicago. Actually, I'd probably still be in Chicago had my ex-wife not wanted to move back to Charlotte but since she did, here I am. When I first moved back I thought I'd made a mistake because I absolutely love Chicago, but since then there have been numerous improvements and projects going on to really put Charlotte on the map, especially for locals. I do miss the park system Chicago had, that's my biggest pet peeve about Charlotte. Oh, and the lake, but you can't really complain about what you can't have, LOL!

Been here for 17 years. Moved to Charlotte for a job with Piedmont Airlines when I got out of college. Since my grandmother and aunts lived here, I was familiar with the city. As a kid, I spent lots of time at my aunt's house Plaza Midwood (it was scary then). I still have great memories of watching fireworks on the Fourth of July when they shot them off the roof of the brand-new NCNB Plaza (Bank of America Plaza). This is home. Love it here.

Moved here 4 years ago from Jersey with a buddy from college. I needed to get away from the high cost of living, and find some better opportunities. Charlotte has been the perfect fit and offers everything I could ask for. I bought my first house 2 weeks ago so I dont plan on leaving any time soon.

Six Years this August. Would not care to live anywhere else.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ditto that for me as well Moonshield. Going on 6. I am originally from Birmingham, AL. I have lived in both Philly and Atlanta for a considerable time though. I think Charlotte is a perfect mix of the South and the North. I love it... :wub:

I've been here almost 2 years. I'm originally from Sanford, which is about 45 minutes SW of Raleigh. When we moved here, we rented an apartment in the university area and hated it so much we thought we would leave Charlotte. Now we live in plaza-midwood and love it here.

I've been here almost 2 years. I'm originally from Sanford, which is about 45 minutes SW of Raleigh. When we moved here, we rented an apartment in the university area and hated it so much we thought we would leave Charlotte. Now we live in plaza-midwood and love it here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome aboard !!!

That area is going to explode in the next few years. I would buy if you already haven't. Look at Elizabeth too. Shady in some areas, but in my opinion a great urban enclave of the Queen City that is getting ready to become a destination to be desired. (especially after Grubb Properties gets done with there master plan for the Elizabeth area). B)

• 1 month later...

I lived here all of my 26 years. As a child, the little I knew about Charlotte was my neighborhood, school and what I saw on the news which were bits and pieces that I couldn't put together at that age anyway. Now I like to travel and experience other places. I visit relatives living in the country in northeastern SC a few times a year and have been keeping an eye on what's happening in that region. I'll be working in Georgia next week. If I happen to find a place that I find disirable with a favorable job market for my field, I would weigh that place against Charlotte for finding a home. But otherwise, I would most likely buy a home here.

I've been here 6 months. I'm orginally from the DC Metro (Reston, VA). I've lived in:

Baltimore

Manhattan

Chicago

Buffalo

Rochester, NY

and now Charlotte. I TOTALLY dig it here. I don't know why anyone would ever want to live in depressed, angry, icy tundras of the northeast. I can't imagine living anywhere else now.

(the only things I miss about up north are pizza, subs, and mass transit)

I've been here 6 months. I'm orginally from the DC Metro (Reston, VA). I've lived in:

Baltimore

Manhattan

Chicago

Buffalo

Rochester, NY

and now Charlotte. I TOTALLY dig it here. I don't know why anyone would ever want to live in depressed, angry, icy tundras of the northeast. I can't imagine living anywhere else now.

(the only things I miss about up north are pizza, subs, and mass transit)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

having lived in NC my whole life and now being up in boston, i totally agree. i haven't even been through my first winter up here, but i'm dreading it and can't wait to get back down south.

Archived