Vanderbilt Univ. Medical Center Link Building Tower (16 stories, 470,000 sq. ft., $500 million)

markhollin

This is welcome news.  VUMC badly needs to upgrade and modernize many of its existing facilities, especially the ER/Trauma Center and parts of the adult hospital.  I will not miss the Oxford House and also hope the Medical Arts Building  is  totally renovated or replaced as a part of this project. 

Edited by dxfret
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, dxfret said:

This is welcome news.  VUMC badly needs to upgrade and modernize many of its existing facilities, especially the ER/Trauma Center and parts of the adult hospital.  I will not miss the Oxford House and also hope the Medical Arts Building  is  totally renovated or replaced as a part of this project. 

They are currently renovating the adult hospital lobby,  but I have not heard anything regarding the ER.

Edited by gannman
  • Like 1

Wow what an upgrade for the site.  A beautiful half-billion dollar silver glass tower.

Would be cool to have an amenities level on the top floor with observation areas.  Perhaps the coffee shop or a cafe would be up there.  If you're a guest visiting a patient, it would be a great respite. 

Edited by rolly
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, dxfret said:

I will not miss the Oxford House and also hope the Medical Arts Building  is  totally renovated or replaced as a part of this project. 

The weirdest part about both buildings to me is that they look like they were engulfed by the parking garage that pretends to be at ground level on the 21st Ave side. As a pedestrian, all of the entries on the multiple garage levels feel like you're slipping in the back door or something. Re: the Medical Arts Building, nothing says outdated like having men's and women's bathrooms on alternating floors.

As for an amenities floor for the new building, there's nearby precedent they can work off of. The cafe by the diabetes clinic on the top floor of Medical Center East is tiny but has great views. I've also heard rumors of an interior atrium for the Link Building, which I imagine would be something similar to the atrium in the critical care tower. For those who haven't been inside, this is the only photo I could find online looking into the atrium from a higher floor waiting room (from SSR: https://www.ssr-inc.com/projects/vanderbilt-university-medical-center-critical-care-tower/):

image.thumb.png.774510e80a080d647814db86d31e138d.png

It's pretty with all the plants and a quiet place to rest, but from a practical standpoint I imagine that the real reason it's there is so additional patient rooms could be built facing the interior while still having a windows to let in natural light (there's nothing better at causing delirium than a windowless hospital room).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/13/2022 at 7:31 PM, GregH said:

For all the talk about the Oxford House's impending demise, I haven't heard a peep about the other permanent fixture on that site.

Yeah, pretty sure that trailer is never going anywhere. Also, thanks for making me check whether my screen had a little piece of red thread on it, thanks to the stray mark above your annotated google streetview image.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Woah!  So what was that under the Oxford House parking lot?  Doesn't look like more parking, or maybe it was and I just don't remember. I've heard of a series of tunnels running all underneath the VU campus, but I've only been in a couple of segments. When I lived on The 'bod (Peabody) we didn't have the pedestrian bridges. So many times we walked through the lobby of VUMC.  

• Like 1