1 hour ago, PillowTalk4 said:

I wish Embassy Suites had done the same on the Broadway side of their building.

Spongebob Krabs showering in money GIF - MavSocial

Unfortunately it all comes down to money haha. Steinway is selling units between 18 and 66 million dollars. Embassy Suites Downtown is renting rooms tonight for $250. 

1 hour ago, PillowTalk4 said:

Bos2Nash, I was really trying to understand why windows could only be on two sides of a proposed building for this site because I've seen the Steinway Tower in NYC which is the tallest skinny building in the world and I remember seeing windows on each side and the lot it sits on is about 60 feet wide.  But, I found diagrams below and after reading about the building materials used, it helped me understand that some glass is incorporated into the cladding  on the east and west sides of the building but actual window space is very limited.  I wish Embassy Suites had done the same on the Broadway side of their building.  

Thanks for your insight!

image.png.48aef1a362e6bdaa22968c3126f5307c.pngimage.png.980eaf132eadc1e5f64b2d21fb3deb6d.png

Sorry but a multistory tower is not going to be approved with only one stair exit

4 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

Bos2Nash, I was really trying to understand why windows could only be on two sides of a proposed building for this site because I've seen the Steinway Tower in NYC which is the tallest skinny building in the world

As I understand it, all of the Tall & Skinnies in NYC were made possible by the developer purchasing extensive air rights for all the surrounding shorter buildings (a possibility that Bos2Nash suggested)... So that would definitely be a means for Tony to increase the utility of his land by controlling the air above his neighbors.  He might not even need to control all the air rights over TSU... just enough to produce the desired effect around his new tower.

• Like 1

He may not need to go tall enough for bonus height from what I am think now. I think the base zoning is 30 but not sure. Bos2Nash will know for sure. I do not think he will go taller than that since it will be affordable housing. The taller you go the more expensive you get. With affordable, you have to keep cost in line.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Baronakim said:

Sorry but a multistory tower is not going to be approved with only one stair exit

The plan actually shows a scissor stair, so two stair exits intertwined, like a DNA strand. I think its allowed by code in NY because of the constraints placed on many of the super slender towers. I haven't looked into whether the code adopted in Nashville allows for a scissor stair.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bos2Nash said:

I've actually had conversations with codes recently regarding interlocking stairs (essentially scissor stairs, but fire separated). Scissor stairs are not allowed by the code (NYC probably has and amendment allowing it), because they deem them as two stairs within a single shaft. So if one stair is compromised, then the whole shaft is essentially compromised. If the scissor stairs are separated at the same fire rating at the shaft enclosure, then the code deems these two stairs that are interlocked. Codes hasn't liked this in the past (so I am told), but seemed amenable to utilizing them presuming all diagonals and exit isolations are met when discussing it recently.

A possible solution.  Not a  great one, but possible I admit.

Edited by Baronakim

• 2 weeks later...
  • markhollin changed the title to 901 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd/Charlotte Ave. (33 stories, 355', residential)
21 hours ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

Very sleek aesthetic and design. It's so "NYC" the way Giarratana seems to pick oddly shaped,  smaller lots, and focus on building towers there.

I like his thinking to utilize tighter space in unique ways by going vertical. This should be the thinking for much more dense development in all cities. Most in the sunbelt and in Nashville's tier of cities, don't build that way, consistently.

So it's awesome to see a developer doing this.

That is very astute of you to notice that. It sort of came up in another conversation somewhere else in a tower far far away.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...