JW Marriott Hotel

GRDadof3

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't able to get downtown until late afternoon. By that time there wasn't much left of the front of the building:

Picture073.jpg

Picture071.jpg

It was quite the windy day for a demo. I'm sure Amway will have a lot of windows to clean!

Picture060.jpg

Picture050.jpg

Picture059.jpg

Picture057.jpg

Picture047.jpg

Picture056.jpg

Picture067.jpg

From above:

Picture083.jpg

Picture082.jpg

They were just starting on the back wall as I a left. I don't expect there'll be much left of the structure by the end of tomorrow.

Picture079.jpg

More pictures of the Grand Rapids Downtown Marriott

Looking east across river [daytime] -

alticor2.jpg

Looking east across river [night] -

alticor1.jpg

Looking south from Pearl Street [former Israels building] -

alticor3.jpg

Site plan -

alticor4.jpg

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A nice recap of what's to come in case newcomers check in and are wondering what we are talking about. It was weird seeing Israels come down, but like antiques, not all old buildings are historically significant.

A nice recap of what's to come in case newcomers check in and are wondering what we are talking about.  It was weird seeing Israels come down, but like antiques, not all old buildings are historically significant.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, but whats going in there is rather dull and boring (at the corner, where isreals was, not the tower itself.). Nothing is being built yet, so it could change

It will be 290' or so.

Looking at that overhead plot layout, I really have to question why they had to tear this building down. Saying that they could not integrate it into the design is a bunch of crap. Personally I am not all about preservation - but in this case, I doubt they even bothered. Actually, they could have converted it into a few nice bars, restaurants, or ballrooms/conference rooms without much of a problem. Would have been an ideal location for all of these.

Also, people were asking about what they were going to use the ornamental 'stuff' they pulled off the building for... The art museum is getting it and they will be using it on the grounds of their new building. Should be interesting to mix that with the design of their building.

OMG I never seen the nightime shot, what a beautiful sight! I love how now a tower will have some form of lighting to it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yah, it will be cool. I think I read that the atrium on the river side will go all the way to the top of the tower.

yeah, but whats going in there is rather dull and boring (at the corner, where isreals was, not the tower itself.). Nothing is being built yet, so it could change

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. I sure hope they do something better at the corner than 5 stories of decrative concrete.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Biz Journal is reporting today that they will start digging the foundation of the new Marriott hotel around Labor Day. There is also a $30 million, 700 car parking ramp that has been added to the plans, but does not say where it will be. I'm not an architect, but I don't see a parking ramp on this site plan:

ahwebnew_4.jpg

But if you look at this rendering, it looks like a parking ramp just East of the main tower (middle lower part of the picture):

Hotel.jpg

that was not in their original rendering:

ahweb_1.jpg

BTW: Does anyone know what that large orange building is just to the right of the hotel in the second picture? Is that what the addition on the Riverfront Building will look like?

Better buy stock in Z's now :lol:

Hmm..I don't know. There are also a coupla other taller buildings in that rendering that don't exist in any form to my knowledge. Could it be that they just threw those extra buildings in there to make the picture look better?

And why on earth do we need another 30 million dollar parking ramp?We must have a dozen of them as it is now! They are chewing up prime real estate in our downtown!

Hmm..I don't know.  There are also a coupla other taller buildings in that rendering that don't exist in any form to my knowledge.  Could it be that they just threw those extra buildings in there to make the picture look better?

And why on earth do we need another 30 million dollar parking ramp?We must have a dozen of them as it is now!  They are chewing up prime real estate in our downtown!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It looks like the shorter one is just a poorly rendered version of the McKay tower.

The larger one, if I was to go on the bland, grey, windowless design, I would say that it is a future Moch project. ;)

GR_Urbanist, it would be a future Moch project except for one problem: In the picture, the building has actually been built! HA! :)

Hood, we've been giving Moch a hard time about his "Icon on Bond" project where he is building a couple of residential buildings that have an honest to goodness blank wall all the way around the buildings at ground level. It looks like a fortress. Check out the threads called "Icon on Bond" for more of our rantings. The building design is on his website www.icononbond.com

Archived