JW Marriott Hotel

GRDadof3

If it is the ramp, that is one hell of a parking garage.  If designed correcty and if it looks anything like it does in the rendering, it will add a lot of density to the riverfont.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's just what we need, false density that adds nothing to the street life or energy downtown. That will get us the national recognition that we need to bring bigger conventions and more visitors downtown. "Come to Grand Rapids, the city with the densest parking ramps in the country."

I'm with Grand Raggidy, we should start exploring more underground parking. It seems to work in other cities, why not here? I know it is very cost prohibitive, but if the city is willing to shell out tax breaks for just about any development, why not add this to the list.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ramps are a necessary evil. I doubt that the valley basin would support aggressive underground parking, nor do I think insurance agencies would be lining up to back such a project.

Yes, they are not ideal, but they are necessary to attract business and residents. Without them, there would be nothing downtown. So take it or leave it. I am just happy that they are finally building them to fit in. From the renderings that I have seen, this one should fit well.

And technically, it will add density. A building is a building and it is taking up space.

Ramps are a necessary evil.  I doubt that the valley basin would support aggressive underground parking, nor do I think insurance agencies would be lining up to back such a project.

Yes, they are not ideal, but they are necessary to attract business and residents.  Without them, there would be nothing downtown.  So take it or leave it.  I am just happy that they are finally building them to fit in.  From the renderings that I have seen, this one should fit well.

And technically, it will add density.  A building is a building and it is taking up space.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, the garages themselves are starting to look better. The newest one with Leos is waaay better than the city center ramp that was demolished. I think we are talking about different kinds of density though. Parking garage definately adds to building density and a more dense-looking skyline, but adds no density in terms of live bodies downtown, unless you could the ticket guy when you leave ;)

Yeah, the garages themselves are starting to look better.  The newest one with Leos is waaay better than the city center ramp that was demolished.  I think we are talking about different kinds of density though.  Parking garage definately adds to building density and a more dense-looking skyline, but adds no density in terms of live bodies downtown, unless you could the ticket guy when you leave  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, Campau is going to look completely different in a couple of years. Looking South from Pearl, it will be a canyon down through there. That's why I think retail on the first floor of that ramp is so important. And it seems like the Marriott would want people to step out the main door on Louis looking at something other than a big brick wall. A first floor restaurant would be great, and would help tie in the Campau Plaza out to Monroe to the East. Does that make sense? When I stay in any new city, I step out the front door, look around, and sense which direction is the "path of least resistance". In other words, which way looks the most interesting. Imagine people coming out of the Marriott on the Louis Street side and going up Campau Plaza out to Monroe and it opening up to Rosa Parks Circle. Hopefully the Art Museum will be a grand site to see by then (I'm hoping).

I agree. Ground floor commercial space on Campau is a must or that street will just seem creepy from a visitors perspective. You basically have entrances to 4 parking ramps on this street (Amway, the new Mariott, the Campau lot and the entrance to Plaza Towers). It would be an ugly site if they don't add some life at the ground level. Z's is basically the only business that faces Campau at this point...

Joe

I agree. Ground floor commercial space on Campau is a must or that street will just seem creepy from a visitors perspective. You basically have entrances to 4 parking ramps on this street (Amway, the new Mariott, the Campau lot and the entrance to Plaza Towers). It would be an ugly site if they don't add some life at the ground level. Z's is basically the only business that faces Campau at this point...

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was one of the intial concerns from the Planning Commission -- that with another large ramp, the already isolated Campau corridor would essentially become Parking Ramp Plaza.

Does anyone know how the Riverfront Building expansion will be? Will they fill up all of their current parking lot and come out all the way to Campau? Perhaps they have a shared parking agreement with the Mariott?

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it would be nice to see the existing ramps get ground level retail built into them, and just add another level above or below to the ramp. I imagine you can get a lot of the "essentials" the press editors clamor about with these developments. Stuff like drive thru pharmacies, and fast food restaurants would be excellent if built into a parking ramp.

I think it would be nice to see the existing ramps get ground level retail built into them, and just add another level above or below to the ramp. I imagine you can get a lot of the "essentials" the press editors clamor about with these developments. Stuff like drive thru pharmacies, and fast food restaurants would be excellent if built into a parking ramp.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, didn't I just read that we don't have enough fast food downtown, especially BK's and Big Boys. :P

Stuff like drive thru pharmacies, and fast food restaurants would be excellent if built into a parking ramp.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I worked on a DDA survey several years back and one of the things that folks downtown wanted was a pharmacy/ drug store and a book store. There isn't much clamor to my knowledge about a fast food place, but hey, if it isn't ugly and surrounded by parking then I don't care. There used to be a McDonalds on the ground floor of the McKay Tower, if I am not mistaken.

Ideally, I would like to see more non-specialized stuff. A walgreens-style pharmacy would be good, because you can also buy a coke or batteries or shampoo or whatever. Something like that seems like it would generate a steadier stream of people. Of course, then everyone would get all worked up about parking again.

There's a guy who posted on the skyscraper page (which isn't nearly as cool as urbanplanet, but I check it from time to time) who seems to work for or have something to do with the designers of the new Marriott. He posted some great images of it and seems to know about the parking garage. I want to ask (as I sure you all do) if there is any ground floor retail at the ramp. I can't seems to log in to that page, though. Anyone have a login that works who want to try to get the answers from him?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread...?threadid=85622

Welcome Chris, thanks for the new website link. I love the new renderings and hope to see construction begin shortly with the webcam. I like the fantasy buildings that were put in to the renderings to bolster the skyline. :D Maybe some plans we don't know about yet...

there will be no ground floor retail on the ramp i can almost guarentee it. The ramp should start construction this spring when most of the riverfront building is complete (exterior mainly) The ramp will tie directly into the new riverfront addition and have shared parking for the riverfront building.

While checking out the webcam, did you guys happen to notice all of the excitement on the Marriott site this morning?

0D3B3A301B0611DA91D3F09A18F73B1D.jpg

11F9ACA01B0611DAAA8516A118F73B1D.jpg

A couple of action shots (too bad they had to take those trees out):

147C11C01B0611DA98EC1C8F18F73B1D.jpg

0FCEDD601B0611DAB6656FC218F73B1D.jpg

Another parking lot bites the dust!

I just checked the webcam and they are taking out the concrete blocks along the West side of the lot. Cool stuff!

And they were doing a bunch of engineering work and jackhammering (?) right out in front of Bridgewater today.

Drivers, start your engines!!!!

Archived