JW Marriott Hotel

GRDadof3

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this activity today on the Marriott site has reminded of another skyscraper that was once proposed for this very spot. Unfortunately the only picture I have of the building is a newspaper clipping.

In 1987 a firm named Heartland Development LLC was ready to break ground on an 18 story tower named Watermark Place. It was designed by the Grand Rapids architectural firm DeWinter and Associates. DeWinter designed the Ford Museum and the Amway Grand tower.

Long story short, Robert Grooters swept in and signed the lead tenant for his new Controversial tower outside the CBD. We now know that building was Bridgewater Place and the tenant, Varnum. .

A few years later the plan was revived as One Grand Rapids Place. Changes to the design included a large atrium entrance off of Pearl between Forslund

All this activity today on the Marriott site has reminded of another skyscraper that was once proposed for this very spot.  Unfortunately the only picture I have of the building is a newspaper clipping. 

In 1987 a firm named Heartland Development LLC was ready to break ground on an 18 story tower named Watermark Place.  It was designed by the Grand Rapids architectural firm DeWinter and Associates.  DeWinter designed the Ford Museum and the Amway Grand tower.

Long story short, Robert Grooters swept in a signed the lead tenant for his new controveral tower outside the CBD.  We now know that building was Bridgewater Place and the tenant, Varnum.  . 

A few years later the plan was revived as One Grand Rapids Place.  Changes to the design included a large atrium entrance off of Pearl between Forslund

There is a picture of it in a back issue of Grand Rapids Magizine from just a few months ago. It was an article about failed GR construction projects. I wish I could remember the month of that issue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right Urbanist. In fact, I think that is where I saw the original rendering for Eastbank Waterfront Towers (now Plaza Towers) that had a midrise section right on the riverbank. I think the issue was more than a year ago. I'll bet woz will have one ;)

Wow. Great recall on that article. Good to know some of this stuff sticks with people. ;)

The story of the Watermark Place/One Grand Rapids Place project was packaged together with the story of the Lyon/Ottawa Tower project. The piece appeared in the December 2003 issue of Grand Rapids Magazine. I'll paste the text below. However, I don't think I can post the rendering of the building. Grand Rapids Magazine got publication rights for the rendering from its architect, but I'm fairly certain that doesn't give me the right to post it here ... or anywhere.

Anyway, here's the story ...

THE SKYLINE THAT NEVER WAS

People who work in creative fields often keep what are called kill files: drawers or folders in desks or on hard drives that contain ideas, which for one reason or another were passed on by clients or bosses.

Architect Stephen C. Fry

The GR Magazine article says that DeWinter desinged the building in 88, but I could have sworn that Press clipping is from 87. Anway, I also think that the Press article said the building's peak would be in line with the lowest end of the Grand Plaza Tower roofline. I think that's about the same height as the Marriott?

Maybe DeWinter is lurking somewhere around here and can provide a picture and all the details.

The GR Magazine article says that DeWinter desinged the building in 88, but I could have swarn that Press clipping is from 87.  Anway, I also think that the Press article said the building's peak would be in line with the lowest end of the Grand Plaza Tower roofline.  I think that's about the same height as the Marriott?

Maybe DeWinter is lurking somewhere around here and can provide a picture and all the details.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He works at Grubb & Ellis now. I'll put this link in:

http://www.paramountprop.com/company_info/...nvestment2.html

That seems to pull all kinds of people out of the woodwork :P

It's a little better with what the police department has done, but it is still not an attractive building  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

maybe i was just too young to remember, but all i can remember of the city center was that it was a cold grey concrete slab with neon lights running around it. Very brutalist in its design.

In contrast even though the police station isnt much better, it feels warmer, and a little more inviting, its got some detail, and doesnt seem to be just a big flat obnoxious slab. Come to think of it, acknowledging everything Dewinter designed and eventually had built, it seems concrete slabs were a big theme for him. I can think the only thing keeping him from being a brutalist architect is the Amway :P

Nice shots GRDad- it's kinda hard to tell exactly what they were doing to the surface lot on the small webcam window; it's obvious now though. They couldn't have picked a better day to start prep work on the site- beautiful day out. B) Keep the progress picks comin', and I'll try to get some of my own!

• 2 weeks later...

It will be stored in a cavity.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ohhhh! That joke bites! Speaking of cavities, that is one deep hole they are drilling into the ground on the site now. Walk over to the far South side of the Forslund Condo parking lot and you'll see what I mean. Or go up to the top level of the Grand Plaza ramp. My two best vantage points ;)

Ohhhh!  That joke bites!  Speaking of cavities, that is one deep hole they are drilling into the ground on the site now.  Walk over to the far South side of the Forslund Condo parking lot and you'll see what I mean.  Or go up to the top level of the Grand Plaza ramp.  My two best vantage points  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

People can say what they want about DeVos and Van Andel, but when they announce a project, they come through with it. Unlike some of our more illustrious developers in town that are just looking to get their names in the paper.

Archived