Immigrants Per MSA - 2003

Here's the 2003 top 30 MSAs for immigrants.

New York, NY - 71,536

Los Angeles-Long Beach, CA - 64,422

Chicago, IL - 29,815

Washington, DC-MD-VA-WV - 29,768

Miami, FL - 21,047

Houston, TX - 15,357

Orange County, CA - 15,167

Oakland, CA - 13,704

Boston, MA-NH - 13,526

San Jose, CA - 12,992

San Francisco, CA - 12,797

San Diego, CA - 12,777

Dallas, TX - 12,057

Seattle-Bellevue-Everett, WA - 11,351

Fort Lauderdale, FL - 10,738

Riverside-San Bernardino, CA - 10,710

Nassau-Suffolk, NY - 10,358

Philadelphia, PA-NJ - 10,166

Newark, NJ - 10,160

Detroit, MI - 9,162

Bergen-Passaic, NJ - 9,080

Middlesex-Somerset-Hunterdon, NJ - 8,578

Atlanta, GA - 8,481

Phoenix-Mesa, AZ - 7,464

Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN-WI - 7,110

Denver, CO - 6,903

Portland-Vancouver, OR-WA - 6,002

Sacramento, CA - 5,909

Jersey City, NJ - 5,908

Las Vegas, NV-AZ - 5,135

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. Even by census 2000 standards, Fort Lauderdale was apart of the Miami MSA. In 2003 Palm Beach was added as well.

Miami - 21,047

Fort Lauderdale - 10,738

West Palm Beach - 4,809

Total for Miami-Forth Lauderdale MSA - 36,594

Which still doesn't mean much in a ranking sense since I question there other msa definitions as well.

Still an interesting list. I'm suprised Houston, Dallas and DC are so high. I would have thought Atlanta and Vegas would have ranked higher.

Interesting.  Even by census 2000 standards, Fort Lauderdale was apart of the Miami MSA.  In 2003 Palm Beach was added as well.

Miami - 21,047

Fort Lauderdale - 10,738

West Palm Beach - 4,809

Total for Miami-Forth Lauderdale MSA - 36,594

Which still doesn't mean much in a ranking sense since I question there other msa definitions as well.

Still an interesting list.  I'm suprised Houston, Dallas and DC are so high.  I would have thought Atlanta and Vegas would have ranked higher.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought their MSA definitions were a little sketchy too. I was also surprised to see Atlanta and Vegas so low on the list.

I disagree, look at the cities on the list, quite a few of them are major ports of entry, or large centers for certain ethnic groups (i.e. Detroit)

Atlanta and Vegas' explosive growth is much more internal, and quite substantially, illegals. I'd say it looks about accurate.

I guess I was hoodwinked by Atlanta boosters into believing they were a more diverse crowd up there.

As for Vegas, I remember a lot of Asians and Eastern Europeans there. I guess they were just more likely to get jobs on the strip than others.

Fort Lauderdale is a part of the Miami MSA.

Oakland and San Jose part of the SF metro.

For clarification, the US Census Bureau has two definitions when its comes to MSA's. There's PMSA's (Primary metropolitan statistical area's), which is what it appears the original post contained, and then there is CMPA's (Consolidated metropolitan area's), which is often most commonly used.

^ I believe you're correct, Lakelander.

And just for clarification regarding the Bay Area, using the latest definitions, SF-Oakland-San Jose is NOT a MSA. It is a CSA. SF-Oakland is part of one MSA and San Jose is a separate MSA (as well as the surrounding sprawl).

• 3 weeks later...

I'm suprised Houston, Dallas and DC are so high.  I would have thought Atlanta and Vegas would have ranked higher.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You shouldn't be surprised. Houston is approximately 30% Hispanic and has been an immigration magnet for years, particularly Asians.

Dallas is in the same boat, i.e., in Texas, which is projected to be the next state after California with no majority race.

I'll mention it again, this is similar to saying how many Martians are in U.S. Metroplexes, the data just is not there mainly because half or more of all immigrants are undocumented, but then again I might be wrong how can you tell if half are undocumented when again there is no documentation, in other words, no data, in other words until our government does its job there is no data. Incomplete data is essentially no data.

Archived