Favorite Breweries and Pubs in the Metro

Trying to get some interest going in the coffee house.

My favorite and only one and only one I go to because of distance to my home is Marrowbone Creek Brewing Company in Ashland City. Marrowbone Creek Brewing Co. | Facebook

I go early so it is never crowded when I go and have not met a beer I did not like. There are a few high-gravity beers on tap, with about 6 or so other craft beers they brew as well as some beers from other breweries.

They also can at least two of their beers. Decent selection of pub food that changes from time to time. The beer cheese dip and pretzels are my favorite.

Marrowbone Creek Brewing Company – Craft Beer comes to Ashland City (wordpress.com)

If you go tell me what you think? Not a typical place you would find in Ashland City with nothing but fast-food restaurants, auto supply stores, and a Wal-Mart

• Like 2

Fat Bottom in the Nations (get me some Teddy Loves) is an easy go to.  Living Waters as well as East Nashville Beer on E Trinity in East are both good places. 

Went to Tailgate HQ  for the first time last weekend and was impressed with the beer selection and the pizza.

• Like 1

My "Power 12" are as follows

1. Blackstone: Hands down my favorite taproom vibe, maker of one of the city's most distinctive beers (Dark Matter) and the brewery with which I have the most personal history, as I started visiting the old brew pub on West End Avenue when it opened in the mid-1990s.

2-12 listed alphabetically 

Bearded Iris

Black Abbey

Czann's

Jackalope

Little Harpeth

Nashville Brewing Company

New Heights

Southern Grist

TailGate

Tennessee Brew Works

Yazoo

The others in Davidson County are as follows (alphabetically):

Barrique

Bold Patriot

Crazy Gnome

East Nashville Beer Works

Fat Bottom

Garr's (not sure Garr is still having his beer brewed)

Hap and Harry's

Harding House

Hollow Pointe (may no longer be having its beer brewed)

Honky Tonk

Living Waters

Monday Night Brewing (based in ATL but with a Germantown taproom)

Music City Beer Company

Proper Sake (focused on sake but does make a rice beer)

TennFold

Turtle Anarchy

Yee-Haw

Please let me know if I forgot one.

Edited by East Side Urbanite
  • Like 2

Solid list, WW. Was in and out of town for a concert this weekend at Brooklyn Bowl (first time there - decent venue!) and am continually impressed by Barrique. Their lagers/barrel-aged lagers are especially good, and am always a fan of a tooth-enamel-melting sour. The head brewer came out of the same home-brewing org as the partners at Bearded Iris (Mid State Brew Crew in the Boro).

Huge fan of, and friends with the guys, at SoGrist. @Nashvillain I recommend going to the new east side taproom/restaurant. They've got the most innovative gastro-pub grub in town with Lauter. Stellar concepts coming out of there.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 12:51 PM, dmillsphoto said:

Solid list, WW. Was in and out of town for a concert this weekend at Brooklyn Bowl (first time there - decent venue!) and am continually impressed by Barrique. Their lagers/barrel-aged lagers are especially good, and am always a fan of a tooth-enamel-melting sour. The head brewer came out of the same home-brewing org as the partners at Bearded Iris (Mid State Brew Crew in the Boro).

Huge fan of, and friends with the guys, at SoGrist. @Nashvillain I recommend going to the new east side taproom/restaurant. They've got the most innovative gastro-pub grub in town with Lauter. Stellar concepts coming out of there.

I visited the SGrist taproom on the east side to see it but did not have time to get a beer.

Barrique is strong.

We miss you, DM

WW

On 9/1/2022 at 3:46 PM, Rocky@theTop said:

Down in the Boro, I'd rank the big 4 as follows...

1. Panther Creek

2. Cedar Glade

3. Mayday

4. Hop Springs

Can you purchase Panther Creek in retail stores in Davidson County? The brewery's website (list of places at which to purchase) suggests not. I want to try.

On 9/2/2022 at 5:06 PM, East Side Urbanite said:

I visited the SGrist taproom on the east side to see it but did not have time to get a beer.

Barrique is strong.

We miss you, DM

WW

Can you purchase Panther Creek in retail stores in Davidson County? The brewery's website (list of places at which to purchase) suggests not. I want to try.

I spoke to one of the owners at Panther Creek; he tells me they just purchased a canning line which will allow them to ramp up production. Plans are to be in Davidson and Williamson Counties by end of year. 

1 hour ago, glamdring269 said:

Any reason Diskin isn't on the list? I know it's a Cidery but that is a really cool spot they have. Pretty sure they have "regular" beers from other spots in there but it has been awhile since I last visited so can't remember right off.

They may have some cans, but I have never noticed them. Only cider on tap I belive.

I agree though that Diskin is a great spot for a hang out.

On 9/1/2022 at 3:46 PM, Rocky@theTop said:

Down in the Boro, I'd rank the big 4 as follows...

1. Panther Creek

2. Cedar Glade

3. Mayday

4. Hop Springs

I go to Asheville all the time for their brewery scene and rarely visit any of the ones in the Boro. We go to Mayday from time to time and always say we should visit more often. Hop Springs is a good music venue but the beer is... ok. I really need to get to Panther Creek one day. Maybe my inner Tolkien nerd has a disdain for that location still? And I've heard nothing but great things about Cedar Glade but again have never checked it out. Sounds like something I might need to just remedy this weekend.

On 9/8/2022 at 3:38 PM, Rocky@theTop said:

I spoke to one of the owners at Panther Creek; he tells me they just purchased a canning line which will allow them to ramp up production. Plans are to be in Davidson and Williamson Counties by end of year. 

Good to hear. I look forward to trying a PCreek beer.

On 9/9/2022 at 11:39 AM, glamdring269 said:

Any reason Diskin isn't on the list? I know it's a Cidery but that is a really cool spot they have. Pretty sure they have "regular" beers from other spots in there but it has been awhile since I last visited so can't remember right off.

I like Diskin's cider. Good stuff.

• Black Abbey - Haven't been in a couple of years now, but the brewery on Sidco Dr. is an awesome place to drink great beer
  • Bearded Iris - Both locations are great. I love the one out on Charlotte if I want a pretty quiet place to hang out in the middle of the day.
  • Yazoo - I was sad when they moved up north, but it's a really cool space and gives them more room to brew
  • Harding House - One of my favorite new-ish breweries in Nashville. Great, great beer and a cool location.
  • Jackalope - One of my favorite older breweries in town. I used to love going to their old taproom, but I've not had a chance to check out their new space since they relocated.

And shout out to Cedar Glade in Murfreesboro! The owners are family; I've not been able to make it down to the brewery yet but they've given me a few cans, it's pretty great stuff.

And, not a brewery, but...

• Hops and Crafts - Still a favorite place to grab a beer on a nice fall day.

May Flying Saucer and Beer Sellar rest in peace. I truly loved those places (even if FS was a chain), it's sad that they didn't survive the Bachelorettification of Nashville.

DC and Northern VA have a decent enough brewing scene, but honestly, this place sucks for trying to find a drink sometimes. Most places don't open until after 3:00, even on weekends (which sucks when you're old and want to drink but be home by 5:00)...and everywhere is expensive. Nashville and Philadelphia have spoiled me.