Flint Community Cultural Plan

dnast

There was an article in the Journal last week that I only glanced at but forgot to read. I'm guessing many others missed it too. I went back and read the article the other day, and it talked of the recently finished Community Cultural Plan and the event where the artist lofts were eventually announced.

There were a few things that stuck out in the article (quoted from the Journal):

# A center for urban arts and culture to be housed in or near downtown Flint, which will complement the work of existing cultural organizations and will be comprised of two major initiatives. First, a center for youth that will address visual art, performance, dance, music, literary, media and other forms. Second, an artist resource center to provide a live/work space for local artists and offer instruction for all ages.

# A fine arts academy that will be an accredited institution for students in grades 9-12.

# Strengthen current downtown arts/cultural agencies, increase marketing, restore Riverbank Park, encourage development of restaurants/cafes in downtown for both indoor and outdoor eating, strengthen downtown events and opportunities for youth involvement.

I don't know what the timeframe is for these initiatives, but they'd be great additions to downtown. I feel downtown is definitely on the right path with this and other plans in and around downtown!

If anyone wants to take a look for themselves, here's the whole plan.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're talking about this being in downtown, correct? Not the cultural center over on Kearsley? There's this tiny little office complex on the corner of Chavez and Kearsley that I think this project would be perfect for, because it help to better tie in downtown with the cultural center. 475 cuts Flint into 2, and you don't see much development happening on the other side.

Yes, this is for downtown. Isn't Chavez and Kearsley part of UM-Flint's campus? There were talks of opening up Kearsley St. through the campus, and I guess it could work out with these new cultural buildings.

I still like the idea of a highway cap the best, though.

In order to make Kearsley go through the campus, you'd have to tear down MSB. ;)

The office building on Kearsley and Chavez isn't owned by U of M. The non-profit agency I used to work for was located there at one point before moving out to a bigger location on Dort Highway. The only other tenants were a day-care and the other company was either an architect firm or interior design. Aside from the architect firm, or whatever it is, the rest of the building in a total mess. It'd be better to tear it down and put something else up in its place.

In order to make Kearsley go through the campus, you'd have to tear down MSB. ;)

LOL, seriously? I've heard plenty of times that it was suggested that the street be opened to the public for easier access to the Cultural Center. I haven't been through the whole campus, so I didn't know. :wacko:

The office building on Kearsley and Chavez isn't owned by U of M.  The non-profit agency I used to work for was located there at one point before moving out to a bigger location on Dort Highway.  The only other tenants were a day-care and the other company was either an architect firm or interior design.  Aside from the architect firm, or whatever it is, the rest of the building in a total mess.  It'd be better to tear it down and put something else up in its place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't picture it, but I'll take your word for it. Tear it down! Seriously, though, I hope they reveal the location soon. I hope it's a location that'll spur infill development.

If you curve it, then no buildings will come down, but it'll go through the MSB parking lot and the mini-plaza that's right there outside French Hall. With the dorms being put in the MSB parking lot, that's only make the area more cramped. It can be done, but I think it'll ruin the campus atmosphere.

dnast, I was looking at the pictures on the downtown Flint website (very nice, by the way ;)), and I cannot figure out what and where that 'Modern Minority' building is at. Judging by the angle, it looks like it should be where the Pavilion is. Is it the Pavilion?

Hmm...maybe I need to go check out the campus for myself then, since I am clueless. I will do that tomorrow, since I am unemployed. I should've stayed in Detroit, where it would've been much easier to find a decent summer job....

Yep, the building in the foreground of the "Modern Minority" photo is the pavillion. Just looking at that wing of the building, it does look tiny.

Thanks for the compliment about the site, by the way. It's not as far along as I would like, but the backbone of the system is coming along nicely. It makes it a lot easier to add more info, pics, etc. when I get more time to do research.

LOL, Allan. You have to start sending out apps by at least April to get a summer job around here, unless you get lucky. Everybody comes back home looking for jobs at the same time, and there just aren't enough to go around.

I'll have to take a longer look around the campus one of these days, too. A couple of times this years, I've done a little walking, but I didn't cover much ground.

I had a job offer in downtown Detroit, but my parents told me that I needed to live at home to save money. I'm looking in the Detroit area again, although the job situation there is not much better....

I did actually start searching for a job in late February, although I got really busy with family commitments for a couple months.

Archived