Rhett Street mixed use development with hotel.

gman430

Thanks to @westsider28for this info. Site is on Rhett Street from Wardlaw to O Neal Streets. @vicupstatesays we should hear more info on project on September 6th: 

https://mailchi.mp/oda.us.com/august2022?fbclid=IwAR2QWDVzkQitLxQsOPDT5LmagVL3tjqZezRsv8CR4RAuE8USZue3MczwYnU

The rendering in the link is only the hotel portion. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

I assume this will also include the gap that has Main Street frontage?

I like the overall numbers thus far for hotel rooms and residences. Looking forward to hearing more! 

Yes. That gap is also owned by Pinnacle according to the county GIS maps. 

248 Residential flats. 5,000 SF restaurant on S. Main. 153 key Hilton family Boutique Hotel. 525 space garage (primarily underground).  Residential building looks to be 10 stories at least.

Construction would begin Summer '23 and open in mid 2025.

Gateway Ventures is ATL developer that has done ATL and Charleston projects. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

248 Residential flats. 5,000 SF restaurant on S. Main. 153 key Hilton family Boutique Hotel. 525 space garage (primarily underground).  Residential building looks to be 10 stories at least.

Construction would begin Summer '23 and open in mid 2025.

Gateway Ventures is ATL developer that has done ATL and Charleston projects. 

Sounds pretty solid from the initial figures. This is quite a significant project.

The lack of excitement on this development on this forum is depressing. The fact there hasn't been one news story on it from any of the local media is even more depressing. I guess everybody is tired of midrises with flat roofs downtown. Can't really say I blame them though. Need a few real highrises that actually add to the skyline to help break the mold. The developers should cancel this project and leave the site the way it is. I'm sure the NIMBY's of the West End Neighborhood Association are in uproar anyways. 

Edited by gman430

10 hours ago, gman430 said:

The lack of excitement on this development on this forum is depressing. The fact there hasn't been one news story on it from any of the local media is even more depressing. I guess everybody is tired of midrises with flat roofs downtown. Can't really say I blame them though. Need a few real highrises that actually add to the skyline to help break the mold. The developers should cancel this project and leave the site the way it is. I'm sure the NIMBY's of the West End Neighborhood Association are in uproar anyways. 

The glass is always half empty, isn’t it?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, gman430 said:

I think this is a good project and scope. My only issue with it is the same one that applies to most others; namely, little imagination with design and architecture. This particular one is a bit better than some others I guess, but really it's pretty indistinguishable from most of the other similar projects. I don't care so much about height per se, but I would like to see less boxy and flat designs, and less of the modern stuff. It is what it is I guess; neither developers nor the design board seem to care about making projects a little more unique and original so this is basically what we're going to get outside of the rare Bohemian type project, or the smaller projects where they can infuse more character.

7 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

The glass is always half empty, isn’t it?

Technically, the glass is always FULL...

50% Water

50% Air

(Borrowed and simplified from a scientist :tw_smile:)

Always glad to see more residential and mixed-use infill downtown.  This is a reasonably attractive development and will be a nice addition to the West End district.  This is a better design than the new United Community Bank headquarters building, in my opinion, and better than the new County Square office building(s) -- at least externally.  Understand the different styles and functions, but the new county government office complex looks more suburban than I previously imagined.

...And yes, I would love to see some actual signature highrise towers with at least 20+ floors in Greenville soon.  They need to be well-designed, visually attractive, and enhance the urban vitality primarily at ground level, not just the skyline.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2022 at 9:42 AM, rabbit seisin said:

This looks like a nice project. I suspect posters here are quiet because there’s not much to nitpick. 

Personally, I may be an outlier on this forum but I find mid and low-rise urban development pleasing and humane. As long as it is done with quality materials and design at an appropriate density, I don’t really care how high it goes. My bugaboo is surface parking. 

My sentiments, exactly! Mid-rise provides density without congestion. And surface parking is the worst.

We could use some more bold architecture, though. Some examples: https://www.lundhumphries.com/blogs/features/mid-rise-urban-living-by-chris-johnson

• Like 4

We need more destination retail spaces in downtown, not necessarily additional restaurant space. I wish we could have the Adidas employee store, for instance, in a project like this. Also there demand for office in downtown, in a perfect world we'd have office, residential, and hotel mixed into this project but if anything, the hotel is a bit overkill IMO considering Kimpton is likely to build around that area too. 

Edited by GVLover
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Yawn....need something more creative please.

I’m not opposed to this design though I recognize that it’s unimaginative. As long as the ground floor is activated rather than just another empty storefront, then I see this as a win. It’s definitely no Camperdown, Riverplace, or ONE but it adds nice density to the West End. 

• Like 2