Current Website Stats

brewerw

Wow, our stats to yours are almost identical.

Hits, uniques, new members and posts and even the quad Xeon server are all within a few hundred/thousand of yours. I'm looking at my stats page and that's just eerie.

I'm running a vB and they are more resource hogs than Invision so you probably get better server loads.

Server Load Averages 0.61 0.73 0.84 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 172 Users Online (29 members and 143 guests) Of course RAM plays a big role in those numbers too.

Glad to see UP back up and runing all well and nothing lost.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

vB offers the most user friendly and visually appealing software but just as with Windows, it comes at a price. It's a resource hog simply because of the intense the program itself is. Compare it to something that is bare minimum such as phpBB and you will see quicker page loads while under similar conditions (users online, guests, etc..).

vB is also stingy with itself, unfortunately. Cost is up there, new versions require you to reinstall all hacks and many customizations are against their TOS even though you own the software and don't intend to make financial gains from the customizing. We've already run into their legal team regarding our set up. The forum looks different and shows different boards depending on which site you log in from. Invision wouldn't have a problem with that but vB is picky and we had to prove to them we weren't violating their TOS, just using the style sheets in a unique fashion.

My sites aside, Urban Planet is going to be an absolute force to reckon with in a few years. Already I see developers from some of the projects in Jacksonville making posts in the J-ville forum.

vBulletin is a resource hog compared to phpBB because it it offers may more features and a much more sophisticated interface. As administrator you have to trade off the benefit of neat features vs performance. Invision would seem to be a good compromise between the two.

Indeed. Before the new server, we had to remove a few hacks and turn off many server intensive features. Thankfully the new server has allowed to add much of that back but it was still irritating that had to be done in the first place.

You're right that Invision does seem to blend those two together pretty nicely and we've thought abotu using it but will be making our own software soon instead. Those are free and if it screws up, we can only be mad at ourselves.

Archived