Jump to content

Be safe everyone


Recommended Posts


34 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Wherever you live in Central Florida, please be careful and stay safe.  Remember to be prepared and try not to panic.

Try to remember when this is all over that whatever our differences of opinion, we're all human beings!  Be kind!

Says @HankStrong from the safety of an undisclosed location several states away.... :whistling:

;)  :D  

J/K.  Thanks and you do the same. :thumbsup: 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/27/2022 at 9:30 AM, JFW657 said:

Says @HankStrong from the safety of an undisclosed location several states away.... :whistling:

;)  :D  

J/K.  Thanks and you do the same. :thumbsup: 

 

I wish I had been.  That was a horrible night.  

I was fortunate enough to have the water stop rising about 5' from my door.  However,  it was a nerve-wracking and crazy night.  I was one of the lucky ones who kept power and didn't have damage.  I know many of our fellow Floridians didn't fare that well.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HankStrong said:

I wish I had been.  That was a horrible night.  

I was fortunate enough to have the water stop rising about 5' from my door.  However,  it was a nerve-wracking and crazy night.  I was one of the lucky ones who kept power and didn't have damage.  I know many of our fellow Floridians didn't fare that well.

I lost power but only for about 18 hours.

It went out just before 7 pm on Wednesday night and they had it back on early Thursday afternoon.

The stuff in my freezer barely began to thaw. 

A bunch of small branches and twigs all over my yard.

I consider myself extremely fortunate. 

And thankful.  

Now to start eating up the canned food..... :mellow: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oddly, I had power until Thursday morning at about 10:30, and then it was off about 4 - 1/2 hours.

I had expected something Charley-like and thankfully it was nothing like that. There’s some awful flooding around town, though, and I hope everyone can survive that.

Btw, now’s a great time to get flood insurance for the next go ‘round. Thanks to climate change, we’re likely to see more of these more often.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We were also very fortunate here in SODO. Lost power around 10 Wednesday night and it came back Thursday night. Yes, that wind Thursday morning was crazy. Two neighbors lost trees then and that's when our screen room screens ripped a bit but on the whole doing just fine.

No internet yet but a fine time to figure out the hotspot for a few minutes.

As predicted my kid has been directing traffic. She even made it to instagram.  

IMG_D495ADB91B24-1.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

500 year storm didn't quite hit the 100yr flood level, but talking to some old timers in the neighborhood, this was a first.  I just got power back Saturday night.  For the uninitiated with that park, those trees in the distance are about 6'-10' up the shore from the normal lake level.  If you go out there today, the water has almost completely gone back down to its normal elevation.

20220929_104327.jpg

Edited by codypet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Part of Kaley near the Kaley Elementary curve was cordoned off the day after.

I assume due to flooding.

I can't say for sure because I had to detour up Ferncreek to get around it. 

This was definitely more a rain event than a wind event for Orlando.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lake Davis was still almost out to Mills on Sunday.

A little piece of personal trivia.  I've considered buying the house across from Mills Market  (Gore & Mills) twice in the past.  Both times I've backed off.  Around 2004/5 it was because the price went crazy in the mortgage bubble.  In the early 2010s because it was still way more than the house was worth in the condition it was in.  Especially since the 2nd time I pondered doing massive amounts of renovations to it.  

I'm glad I didn't in the end.  On normal days the market is too busy for my taste and in events like this, I'd be sad it was flooded.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, HankStrong said:

Lake Davis was still almost out to Mills on Sunday.

A little piece of personal trivia.  I've considered buying the house across from Mills Market  (Gore & Mills) twice in the past.  Both times I've backed off.  Around 2004/5 it was because the price went crazy in the mortgage bubble.  In the early 2010s because it was still way more than the house was worth in the condition it was in.  Especially since the 2nd time I pondered doing massive amounts of renovations to it.  

I'm glad I didn't in the end.  On normal days the market is too busy for my taste and in events like this, I'd be sad it was flooded.

I think my son and his girlfriend recently looked either at that house or one next door for a rental but the rental application fee was crazy ($400) and they weren't that in love with it. I really like that area though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/4/2022 at 7:37 AM, HankStrong said:

Lake Davis was still almost out to Mills on Sunday.

A little piece of personal trivia.  I've considered buying the house across from Mills Market  (Gore & Mills) twice in the past.  Both times I've backed off.  Around 2004/5 it was because the price went crazy in the mortgage bubble.  In the early 2010s because it was still way more than the house was worth in the condition it was in.  Especially since the 2nd time I pondered doing massive amounts of renovations to it.  

I'm glad I didn't in the end.  On normal days the market is too busy for my taste and in events like this, I'd be sad it was flooded.

All those houses were in the floodplain so I can't imagine the flooding came as too much of a surprise.   I mean its even happened before.

image.png.daed9564d0e0f922c67803cd3bef0f6a.png

Best as I can tell, that car on the right is driving north on Summerlin.  That house in the middle is still there on the SW corner of Gore/Summerlin.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, codypet said:

All those houses were in the floodplain so I can't imagine the flooding came as too much of a surprise.   I mean its even happened before.

image.png.daed9564d0e0f922c67803cd3bef0f6a.png

My favorite part is that Lake Davis was noted as being “in the southwest section of Orlando.” I guess we’ve grown a little…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, codypet said:

All those houses were in the floodplain so I can't imagine the flooding came as too much of a surprise.   I mean its even happened before.

image.png.daed9564d0e0f922c67803cd3bef0f6a.png

Best as I can tell, that car on the right is driving north on Summerlin.  That house in the middle is still there on the SW corner of Gore/Summerlin.

I just looked at the maps and the flooding was almost exact in Delaney Park as well as Wadeview. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, codypet said:

Yea the maps were incredibly accurate

You would have thought with all of the expertise that has gone into new drainage that this problem would have been lessened. 

I suspect the flooding on Orange Ave was due to Lake of the Woods overflowing and, due to the drainage improvements currently underway on Annie St, the water had nowhere to go.  OTOH, if it worked as intended the water from Lucerne and Lake of the Woods appears designed to run into Cherokee and Davis- which would have made things worse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The fact of the matter is the sheer amount of rain we got in a 24 hr period last week 15+" is beyond what the stormwater design facilities are designed for.  The fact that most of these areas have pretty much returned to normal water level in less than a week is pretty telling.  

Edited by codypet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, codypet said:

The fact of the matter is the sheer amount of rain we got in a 24 hr period last week 15+" is beyond what the stormwater design facilities are designed for.  The fact that most of these areas have pretty much returned to normal water level in less than a week is pretty telling.  

The folks around Lakes Harney, Jesup  and Monroe are sure envious…

Edited by spenser1058
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.