Violent Murder of Allison Rice in Baton Rouge

cajun

Witness to LSU student’s death: “Still somewhat in shock realizing what happened”

img_9263.jpg?resize=768%2C1024&ssl=1

Portrait of Allison Rice held by her father Paul Rice

https://unfilteredwithkiran.com/witness-to-lsu-students-death-still-somewhat-in-shock-realizing-what-happened/?fbclid=IwAR3y36XER8l35j5Kxpz-nxzWgBTtSpnLEpJwK-cmn5lpZag7XyAucitbbTg

A witness to LSU student Allison Rice’s shooting death spoke to Unfiltered with Kiran on the basis of anonymity.

“I’m still somewhat in shock realizing what happened,” he said.

His main reason for speaking out is the information he has can hopefully help find who committed this heinous crime. His second reason is he feels he had to chase down Baton Rouge Police to tell them what he saw and heard, when he felt it should be the other way around.

“They need to do better. With this specific case, with me and my friend being the only witnesses there, it was very shocking to me that when I called BRPD Friday morning, the person told me she couldn’t help me and she would transfer me,” said the witness. “When I got a hold of someone, they told me he was an assistant and that someone would call me back. Hours went by and no one called me so I called Crime Stoppers. They took down the information and I never heard from anyone again.”

Friday afternoon, the witness and his family reached back out to BRPD when he finally got a hold of someone.

“The detective that was supposed to call me back called on Saturday morning and that’s when I spoke to him and we have spoken once more since then. I don’t think it should have taken that long,” recalled the witness. “I mean they’re saying ‘If anyone has information, call.’ So, of course I’m going to call. Obviously the sooner you get the information if it were these two guys, the sooner you would be able to find them.”

I didn't want to have to post this, but this is a common story in Baton Rouge now.   Frankly, it's been a common theme in most American cities the last year or two.    I don't want to see this continue here.      

Back story - Allison left The Shed BBQ in the early morning hours of Sept 16th, 2022 on Burbank to meet her friend who was closing out her shift as an employee at a popular bar on Government Street.   After the bar closed, Allison left and went towards downtown while her friend went east towards mid city.   Allison was gunned down as her car stopped at the railroad tracks on Government Street in the Downtown East neighborhood for no apparent reason.   

This is an extremely similar story as to what happen to Shelby Holmes just a few blocks away in Baton Rouge in 2013.   And the city leadership response is even worse now - inept and slow.   It's almost as if BRPD doesn't want to solve this one and the mayor is annoyed that anyone even cares.    BRPD took days to even contact the witness.    The mayor's office actually moved a public meeting ahead so that they wouldn't have to answer questions about this (you have to submit questions the Friday before the meeting).  

I'm posting this because we have a major problem in this country, and I don't want to see it infect Baton Rouge.   There is an attitude among some elected officials, judges, and even law enforcement that crime isn't a serious issue and that violent crime doesn't need to be punished or penalized harshly.    This kind of violence is highly corrosive to the city and the community.   Even the hundreds of thousands of people that pass through Baton Rouge or commute into the city from other areas are impacted by crime.     We have to deal with this if we ever want to move forward.   

• Like 1