Post Houston

KJHburg

• 10 months later...

On 9/27/2022 at 8:35 PM, KJHburg said:

this redevelopment of the old main post office downtown into a mixed use project with retail and office space is great.  They have a huge rooftop area with meeting rooms and performance space overlooking the skyline.   Office space is still being built out inside but the food hall is open.    Well worth a visit and 90 minutes free parking paid by license plate number.   That Skylawn is a must see! 

https://www.posthtx.com/

Lots of photos but this is a great reuse of this hulking building and something Houston can be proud of. 

The rooftop is 5 acres!  

Thx for coming to town and posting about this unbelievable reuse project with the 3 gargantuan staircases themselves like nothing I've ever seen.  I attended the grand opening and I've taken some out of town guests there but there are a lot of people in Houston who have no idea this exists, even now. I never would have appreciated the post office as industrial operation until I got to see it. They also built a large performance venue (The 713 Audtorium) on the east end, quite spectacular too with two mezzanine levels and great acoustics, they really put huge funding just into that.

If you come back try to go back to the facility right before dusk and go on the roof. The rooftop takes on what I can only describe is a kind of urban magic at that time and continues past nightfall, with hundreds of people taking photos of friends with the skyline as backdrop; it is breathtaking. Sometimes they have events or film showings up there on weekends, and stuff for kids to do, like games etc.  Parking is free on week nights. There is another rooftop you can visit which is the Glassel school, and the sloping roof staicase is accessible off of the sculpture garden of the MFAH. In fact it is worth coming to Houston just to take in the museums of which there are many. You can spend 3~4 days at the MFAH with its three large gallery buildings, the largest museum in the South and among the largest in the country. There are several other art museums here too.

glassel school: https://www.mfah.org/visit/glassell-school/?gclid=CjwKCAjwrranBhAEEiwAzbhNtcCYWy-AivL4h99gM_nhbQtpCJoJH_STtF5VRBI2eO2ECUNAAIfdrhoCHAEQAvD_BwE

BTW quite familiar with Charlotte in the 50's & 60's, my mom's childhood home was on a farm halfway between Charlotte and Mt. Holly, directly across from what became Pine island Country Club. Charlotte was  smaller than Nashville at that time. I have lots of 1st cousins in the region.

Edited by dragonfly
  • Thanks 1

^^ Thanks for the tip and yes Post Houston was a great reuse of property.  Just spectacular and the skyline view was great. I will be later this fall and will visit again and other place you mentioned.  Yes Charlotte was smaller than Nashville back then and now we have about 800K more people in our metro area.  Our skyline is Houston-lite lol. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

^^ Thanks for the tip and yes Post Houston was a great reuse of property.  Just spectacular and the skyline view was great. I will be later this fall and will visit again and other place you mentioned.  Yes Charlotte was smaller than Nashville back then and now we have about 800K more people in our metro area.  Our skyline is Houston-lite lol. 

Aha if you're coming back in Nov then I'm going to upload photos of another site you should visit after dark that is just jaw dropping, which is the Houston Mandir in Stafford. Also The Woodlands is a great regional spot to go explore, they now have a downtown with a lake and a couple of big highrises and a separate satellite district on a larger lake with really upscale stuff and housing. Still a lot of middle market housing from the '80's and lots of parks and tennis courts sprinkled all around. All of the commercial buildings are disallowed prominant signage and there are rules on leaving as much forest looking splotches to hide as much as possible everywhere. 

BTW found a site which  lists the 10 fastest growing metros in the country, NC and FL have two, TX three and TN one. Pretty good showing for the south. Looks like you were'nt too far off, Charlotte 700K bigger than Nashville metro here: https://info.siteselectiongroup.com/blog/us-metro-areas-with-the-highest-projected-5-year-population-growth

Also was in Raleigh a few years ago and just love it, the way it looks and they have that academic engineering thing big time..

Should mention to you what i think is one reason Charlotte and NC surpassed TN and Nashville in growth and that is for a long time Tennessee forbid banks to have branches across county jurisdictions and this really stunted the Nashville based banks of which there were 3 good sized ones that had high rise headquarters and they all got bought up by out of state banks. By the  time they changed the law it was late in the game and  the only established TN bank left standing was First Tenn. in Memphis, renamed First Horizon.

OK here you go they have a website too:

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=561127711&sxsrf=AB5stBhYBjyEM67QJ5-BvNmF9js73iyIWg:1693352989250&q=houston+Mandir+photos&tbm=isch&source=univ&fir=nOR-xFvE2vZiEM%2Cd99RbUxoBRxuxM%2C_%3BEfA8Zqa9f-P1yM%2CGw-NvJ3Szp3E_M%2C_%3B3zWJfZEINyHxYM%2CDKtnCDhiLsB8AM%2C_%3B2pjt3EKVwtO2AM%2CGQ_hP3hlaa_o-M%2C_%3BROhEUG-I__GRwM%2C4fYV7pRtYggDfM%2C_%3BK2jmLJMvBHxbFM%2Cd99RbUxoBRxuxM%2C_%3BbPfjjfhxHLRqvM%2CboDKqWAcv796iM%2C_%3BeU_-Dl8Zr2F2OM%2Ck81VLXE8X0bpmM%2C_%3B1kGCjFcIc3pxvM%2CeBW5LD6PuKFGFM%2C_%3B53HTzq2Y2cJB5M%2Ct_WtBr6LcX3UBM%2C_%3Bh5r7WQmGx-KzpM%2CQCMWIjus13y70M%2C_%3Brckdt_1mIa9ttM%2CDKtnCDhiLsB8AM%2C_%3Bq0rhJoHevM92fM%2CWau0kMeQmBCzuM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kTTyjqlobwZaEn-CNXfTmRG0aoZsg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiS45y7h4OBAxUvk2oFHdVrCGEQjJkEegQIHhAC&biw=1536&bih=786&dpr=1.25

Edited by dragonfly
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...