Main Library's Opening Date Delayed Again

asonj23

Main Library's opening date delayed again; now it's Nov. 10

The extra time will likely mean additional costs

By MARY KELLI PALKA, The Times-Union

Book lovers will have to wait even longer than expected to use Jacksonville's new Main Library.

Public Works Director Alan Mosley said Monday the library won't be open until Nov. 10, which is about 11 months behind its original schedule.

The $95 million building and adjacent parking garage were part of the Better Jacksonville Plan and expected to be open in late 2004. In April, city officials said the new downtown library, which faces Hemming Plaza, wouldn't be ready for patrons until September and would be about $3.2 million over budget.

Read the rest here.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i would think it wouldn't. They can declare a winner so long as the winner understands there is a few month hold over. besides, ocean wasnt even talking about doing anything major to the site till jan/feb from my understanding...

Hopefully it wont push the final call...

asonj: I went to the Town Center Barnes and Noble on Fri night and they had a book in the Architecture section on Robert A. M. Stern's work from the late 90s and 2000s. They had renderings of the inside of the library which have not been published. They were pretty impressive inside as I recall. I must confess I like the exterior of the Nashville Stern library (which is also in the book) better b/c he used better materials (i.e. real stone cladding) as opposed to concrete and plastic. Maybe one day a rich benefactor will come along and redo the exterior here in Jax.

That is great to hear. I'll have to look for the book your talking about and kill a bit of curiosity. I still hope to be there on opening day to see the finished product for myself. Thanks Riverside

Library is latest casualty of budget cuts

Director cuts $6 million for fiscal year

By MARY KELLI PALKA, The Times-Union

Jacksonville's library patrons may soon see shorter operating hours at their local branches, and they may no longer see the Bookmobile around town.

Mayor John Peyton has asked departments to find ways to reduce their proposed budgets for next year. For the library system, this would mean about $2 million less than the $33.5 million the system is spending this year. For now, Peyton's staff said the reductions are just an exercise.

Click Here to read the rest of this unfortunate article...

Archived