IN PROGRESS: Capitol Cove

According to MetroPark, they are on 10-day notice to vacate their lot at Parcel 6. Which means, at any point the developer can give them 10-days notice to leave. Could be 10-days from today, could be 10-days from next Christmas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what I understand, the MetroPark lot was closed today!

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talk about a tease here...  Have we ever seen anything in the way of a proposal from this group ever?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've never seen any drawings. The articles posted further back in this thread descibe the project, however I'm sure even that has changed some during Capital Centre Design Review.

I've never seen any drawings. The articles posted further back in this thread descibe the project, however I'm sure even that has changed some during Capital Centre Design Review.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The firm of http://www.elkus-manfredi.com/ is designing parcel 6, Capital Cove, but no sketches or models are listed on their web site.

Is ground suposed to be broken soon on this project, now that the parking lot is closed off?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you think the closing of the parking lot it to help provide storage space during the other construction projects? For example, the workers will need a place to park and they'll need someplace to put construction equipment and materials over the next couple of years.

I can't wait for some of these residential projects to get done. Downcity is still a little dead after 5 during the week.

Do you think the closing of the parking lot it to help provide storage space during the other construction projects?  For example, the workers will need a place to park and they'll need someplace to put construction equipment and materials over the next couple of years.

I can't wait for some of these residential projects to get done.  Downcity is still a little dead after 5 during the week.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A little dead???? I don't know where your looking, KRC, but Empire, Washington and Pine Sts. are quite lively.

Why have we seen nothing about this in the paper?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ProJo has mentioned it in stories about other projects, but there hasn't been a story just about it since last year.

Is ground suposed to be broken soon on this project, now that the parking lot is closed off?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Supposedly any minute now. The MetroPark lot was kicked out to make way for construction.

Do you think the closing of the parking lot it to help provide storage space during the other construction projects?  For example, the workers will need a place to park and they'll need someplace to put construction equipment and materials over the next couple of years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was talk a while back about creating staging areas and even satellite parking lots for construction workers, but I haven't read anything about it recently. For a while there it looked like nothing was going to happen, then GTECH and the Masonic Temple got to work, and now Parcel 2 and 6 are in line, and the Westin is about to happen. Capital Center is going to be very busy.

A little dead????  I don't know where your looking, KRC, but Empire, Washington and Pine Sts. are quite lively.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Compared to Thayer and Atwells and Wickenden...? Also compared to other cities, even some of the sprawl cities we all love to hate are more active at night than Providence. It's coming along, but there's still a way to go.

A little dead????  I don't know where your looking, KRC, but Empire, Washington and Pine Sts. are quite lively.

downtown at lunch time today was pretty lively... everyone was sitting outside along the street, street musicians were playing and the sidewalks were busy but maybe its just a case of the always busy lunch crowd combined good weather

downtown at lunch time today was pretty lively... everyone was sitting outside along the street, street musicians were playing and the sidewalks were busy but maybe its just a case of the always busy lunch crowd combined good weather

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, Cotuit, I've lived here all my life and believe me, it's much more active downcity than years past. They use to say that we rolled up the sidewalks at 5pm, and it was the truth. There was a time when you could park in any downcity parking lot and not have to worry about paying because they were all closed. Now there all open up to 1am. This all happened within the last 8 yrs thanks to Trinity, PPAC and all the other art and cultural venues, not to mention Providence Place and many restuarants and bars, clubs and entertainment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you. However, overall, downcity does get a bit anemic during the middle of the week. It most certainly does bustle at many times, but it still needs more people. I'm definately one the "the more the merrier" types. :D

I find it very frustrating that I/we cannot find out any info/rendering/illustrations/photos of this project. I've searched the internet many times with no luck. All I get is pages from some place called Urbanplanet.com :D When I search RS Roth Inc. of Boston I get almost nothing, except a doctor at Mass General Hospital who may have a development company on the side. The firm designing capital cove, Elkus-Manfredi has nothing on their web site either. Projo hasen't shown us anything good either, just a model. I've found that in the last several years the journal's covering of CCC's meetings have been poor. Wouldn't it be great if the Capital Center Commission had a web site to display all projects like they do for Hartford, CT. ( http://www.cceda.state.ct.us/ )

I find it very frustrating that I/we cannot find out any info/rendering/illustrations/photos of this project. I've searched the internet many times with no luck.

A week later, and still a search turns up nothing! I have to wonder why a project would be this secretive? Is there something we should know? Or is is there really no project on Parcel 6 at all?

A week later, and still a search turns up nothing!  I have to wonder why a project would be this secretive?  Is there something we should know?  Or is is there really no project on Parcel 6 at all?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about calling the architectural firm? They might be willing to e-mail you something or at least give you contact info on the developer. It's free advertising for them... You could also try e-mailing the Providence Journal to see if they have anything or if they'd want to do a story on it.

I actually find your efforts on Parcel 6 to be more the rule than the exception. In my experience, I actually find it somewhat unusual to see so many Providence rendering plans online. It's a sign of how public our process is. In previous places I've lived (non-Twin Cites-Minnesota and Hudson Valley in NY are two great examples) you can't find a hint of how anyplace looks until it goes up. It's just not something the developers or architectural firms are tuned into. The firms give their renderings to the developer, they show it at planning meetings, and that's it. The local media contributes to this as they don't seem to feel development issues are worth covering. Especially in more community activist areas, I've found firms like to keep things close to the vest to reduce the chance of protests against them.

- Garris

Have we heard what the rough idea of this project will be? Like will this be a tower, will it be a complex of many few story buildings, will it be one huge building something like Avalon across the street?

Its certainly a large lot which concerns me because I am afraid it could turn out like a suburban apartment complex or have an appearance similar to the Providence Marriott up on Orms St.

Have we heard what the rough idea of this project will be? Like will this be a tower, will it be a complex of many few story buildings, will it be one huge building something like Avalon across the street? 

Its certainly a large lot which concerns me because I am afraid it could turn out like a suburban apartment complex or have an appearance similar to the Providence Marriott up on Orms St.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Stillman Street (which is between the Avalon Complex and the parking lots behind Citizens) is supposed to be extended though the Parcel to Canal Street. So that splits the large parcel in two. There are 2 phases to this project, Phase 2 is supposed to be a tower. Phase one should be several story buildings, there is a courtyard apparently. The Design Review Committee has given a lot of instructions to make it more a part of the streetscape and less of a "complex" set unto itself. I bellieve some units will have front doors right onto the street and riverwalk, much the way Jefferson has some units with 'stoops' on Providence Place.

With the splitting of the parcel into two blocks, and the two phases, I think we'll see at least 3 distinct buildings here.

Stillman Street (which is between the Avalon Complex and the parking lots behind Citizens) is supposed to be extended though the Parcel to Canal Street.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That sounds good, anyone else think that this whole area has an odd street configuration? They should get rid of the Citizens parking and put another street in through the current middle of the lot, that way they can put in another building or something between Citizens and Avalon. They're gonna need another street next to the train tracks too right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oooh, I just felt a chill... I certainly hope that the above won't come to pass. I think the Capitol Commission has enough backbone to shoot those kinds of things down...

- Garris

I feel much better about this project after hearing that the lot will be split with a street and that the design review committee is on it keeping it in good urban quality. I just saw that large lot (combined with the cheezy name "Capital Cove") and was concerned because I could just see some cheap developer plunking down a really poorly designed and built suburban-style apartment complex surrounded by a sea of parking. There should hopefully be a great opportunity in the design to incorporate the canal on the east side of the property.

I could just see some cheap developer plunking down a really poorly designed and built suburban-style apartment complex surrounded by a sea of parking.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Surface parking is not allowed in developments in Capital Centre, though the lots behind Citizens could lead one to believe otherwise.

Archived