IN PROGRESS: Capitol Cove

Surface parking is not allowed in developments in Capital Centre, though the lots behind Citizens could lead one to believe otherwise.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does that mean they'll eventually get rid of them then?

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does that mean they'll eventually get rid of them then?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. Technically I don't think those surface lots are supposed to be there, but once the parcels are developed, there will be no surface parking.

The Capital Center will be incredible when its finished, its taken a long time but I guess if the developments proposals come as fast as they have in the last few months maybe its completion wont be that far off.

How many lots are left? Theres one Union Station lot, that small triangular lot by the PO, and two lots by Citizens Bank now used as parking, is that it? Or is the MetroPark parking lot by the abandoned tunnel portal a Capital Center lot?

construction will be starting soon.  I work for one of the companies they are talking to about constructing the first building.  Project should be awarded in the near future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the heads up Martin. Do you know anything about the plans?

Have we heard what the rough idea of this project will be? Like will this be a tower, will it be a complex of many few story buildings, will it be one huge building something like Avalon across the street?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just reread the first article in this post, it's from November '03. It calls for 5 buildings on this site. In addition to Stillman Street running through the site, a pedestrian walkway will extend from Park Row West (infront of the train station) to the river.

Thanks for the heads up, Cotuit. I just reread that now too... Wow, three highrises and two lower apt buildings, and its the lowrises that are going to be built first. Interesting. I still can't picture exactly where these things are going to be on that property. Where do you think they'd want to put the low rises and where the high rises? I also assume their retail will be aimed at commuters (cafe, cleaners, etc...).

- Garris

For the least impact on the State House view and the least resistance from College Hill people, I'd imagine the highrises (I think highrise may be in the 13 story range in this case) would be south closer to Citizens, with the lowrises up toward Smith Street.

It's hard to imagine what they are talking about when it comes to elevations though. If they are running a walkway from Park Row West, then the site needs to slope up to there. So what would be a 5 story building as viewed from Gaspee Street near the train tracks, would actually be 10 stories on site, since the site is set considerably below Gaspee and Park Row West. Whatever happens, it's an interesting site to develop, could be great, could be horrid. Some renderings would be nice. :blush:

I hear ya on not much info online. I will poke around and see if I can find a rendering or anything that might be of some interest. I know that right now my company was only approached with building one of the buildings. I am not sure how they are going to move ahead with the other 4. I will see what i can get for more info.

I know that right now my company was only approached with building one of the buildings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This project is so weird. When did they approach your company? The way they chased MetroPark out (they told them on a Thursday afternoon that they had to be gone on Monday) one would think they were ready to put shovels in the ground. But as everyone can see, nothing is going on. I assume that MetroPark was paying Roth rent or he was getting a cut of their parking fees, why drive away that revenue when you're not ready to build?

This project is so weird. When did they approach your company? The way they chased MetroPark out (they told them on a Thursday afternoon that they had to be gone on Monday) one would think they were ready to put shovels in the ground. But as everyone can see, nothing is going on. I assume that MetroPark was paying Roth rent or he was getting a cut of their parking fees, why drive away that revenue when you're not ready to build?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In another post I said that Capital Properties rarely sells land in capital center, but lease's it usually for 99 years so I doubt that R S Roth Inc or Capital Cove LLC owns it. Capital Properties probably evicted Metropark so that they could sign a lease with CC LLC.

I believe it was a couple months ago that my company was approached to bid on the job. I do know we were under the gun and didn't have much time to get a bid together. They actually extended the due date for the bid a couple of times. So between them kicking out that company and scrambling to get bids in I would hope they would pull the trigger soon on building at the site.

I also looked for some renderings around the office and can't find any yet, I will keep my eyes open though.

I believe it was a couple months ago that my company was approached to bid on the job.  I do know we were under the gun and didn't have much time to get a bid together.  They actually extended the due date for the bid a couple of times.  So between them kicking out that company and scrambling to get bids in I would hope they would pull the trigger soon on building at the site.

I also looked for some renderings around the office and can't find any yet, I will keep my eyes open though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmmm I'm not feeling to positive about this project. But perhaps the developer is now thinking more commercial & retail than residential because of all the other projects. It would be nice if someone were to contact the Capital Center Commission. (hint)

• 3 weeks later...

Here's something of interest in The Providence Journal about the current situation with the parcel. Seems all is as was originally planned. Though I'm sure the later phases will take a little longer to come around than originally expected due to the massive increase in competition since we've first heard about this project.

http://www.projo.com/metro/content/projo_2...15.2362dd0.html

I've really been looking forward to this project the most, to be honest. Partially because of the fact that with it comes a bigger riverwalk. But I believe it was said previously that the three towers would be brick, with a shed-style roof, and in graduating height. To me, it seems like this would create an amazing perspective of Providence from farther north where you'd be able to see Charlesgate, Capital Cove, and the Westin towers in the same view.

Looks like they break ground today? Says the ProJo. I loved this line:

"The Capitol Cove developers believe their project will attract a different consumer.

'We are in a different market, more competitive, lower-rise units,' Weeks said. "We feel as though we will be able to bring them in cheaper.'

The apartments will range from 800 to 1,200 square feet and rent for $1,700 to $2,700 a month.

If there is more demand for upscale living, Capitol Cove has plans to build three condominium towers in later phases.

'We have to gauge the market,' Weeks said. 'There is an absorption rate that we are trying to stay under.'

Bwahahaha.. If they gauged the market, they would find that $1700 for an 800 sq ft apt IS decidedly upscale living in Providence.. haha

Archived