IN PROGRESS: Capitol Cove

There needs to be some sort of real estate advertising criteria for the word "luxury." There are various rules for what constitutes a bedroom, i.e. it has to have a closet, and other rules on how a property can be advertised, but it seems if you slap a granite counter-top in a kitchen, you suddenly have a "luxury" apartment. I was walking down Waterman the other day and saw a sign out front of a building that was hand written, advertising "one and two bedroom, student and luxury apartments." I'm sorry but you can't have students and luxury advertised for the same building on the campus of Brown. And if you're advertising a "luxury" apartment, shell out for a custom sign, the sharpie marker doesn't cut it.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry but you can't have students and luxury advertised for the same building on the campus of Brown. And if you're advertising a "luxury" apartment, shell out for a custom sign, the sharpie marker doesn't cut it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw that too, pointed and laughed!

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't walk all the way up Canal Street on Friday, but it looked like there was some rubble along the river, like they may be removing some of the remaining structures over the river. There was also some shrubery that had been up rooted.

I found the first projo article on this project from 2002 and it has been greatly revised from the original plans which called for a 16 and 18 story buildings which were to be located near the tracks. Also in the complex were 5 mid-sized building for a total of 7 buildings which was suppose cost $ 200 million. Today's phase 1 includes 2 buildings and garage at a cost of $ 35 million.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first post, I have been lurking for months. I am glad this project is finally underway.

One thing that I thought would have been neat, but I don't know about feasability, would have been to build over the train tracks and include a row of retail along Gaspee. It would have brought pedestrians down that way and got rid of those ugly electrical lines they put in for the Acela trains. Also would have provided a way to get down to Canal without having to go up to Smith or around to Park Row.

This is my first post, I have been lurking for months.  I am glad this project is finally underway. 

One thing that I thought would have been neat, but I don't know about feasability, would have been to build over the train tracks and include a row of retail along Gaspee.  It would have brought pedestrians down that way and got rid of those ugly electrical lines they put in for the Acela trains.  Also would have provided a way to get down to Canal without having to go up to Smith or around to Park Row.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome Chaz200! Someone else proposed something similar to your idea, and we were guessing air rights over the tracks would probably have been an issue (and probably not the safest thing in the age of terrorism either).

I still can't believe they're this close to building and we haven't seen a render yet. I find that somewhat worrisome...

- Garris

Welcome Chaz200!  Someone else proposed something similar to your idea, and we were guessing air rights over the tracks would probably have been an issue (and probably not the safest thing in the age of terrorism either). 

I still can't believe they're this close to building and we haven't seen a render yet.  I find that somewhat worrisome...

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Worrisome???? Hell, I search the internet almost everyday looking for info on capital cove. And the web site of architechial firm of Elkus-Manfredi, who is designing the land, is of no use since they haven't posted anything relating to this project.

Does anyone know if the same design review board process, as used with the new Westin tower, will be used for this site? I should think they'll be subject to the same or similar approval process. Anyway, I sure hope so... I can think of countless ways that space could be ruined or at least poorly organized and it would be a shame if that happened esp. given how large it really is and how they have said that they will build some and if it catches on they'll build more.

Also I was in the park across the street during lunch today and it looked a bit more like a parking lot than a construction site - lots of work trucks but no equipment or people. I realize it was lunch time but not much seems to be happening so maybe this is just temp parking for parcel 2 construction??

Does anyone know if the same design review board process, as used with the new Westin tower, will be used for this site? I should think they'll be subject to the same or similar approval process. Anyway, I sure hope so...  I can think of countless ways that space could be ruined or at least poorly organized and it would be a shame if that happened esp. given how large it really is and how they have said that they will build some and if it catches on they'll build more.

Also I was in the park across the street during lunch today and it looked a bit more like a parking lot than a construction site - lots of work trucks but no equipment or people. I realize it was lunch time but not much seems to be happening so maybe this is just temp parking for parcel 2 construction??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Capital Cove LLC already went through the design review process which was approved sometime last year. The reason it's taking so long to begin is because they put everything out for bids and shpped around for the best prices. Groundbreaking is suppose to be sometime this summer.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if I like the street layout of this development:

L_IMAGE.jpg

I'd build a road over the train tracks to connect to Gaspee St, and get rid of the cul-de-sac. Here's my idea for this area:

parcel6.jpg

I'd like a bunch of 5-6 story townhouses all crammed next to eachother (along an extended Capitol Court, all the way up to Smith St) with maybe two larger apartment/condo buildings with ground floor retail kind of like Avalon. The Citizen's parking lot needs to go as well, maybe on one of those lots we could have a 12-15 story office building.

Archived