4th & Elm (12 stories, 176 residential units, 11,844 sq. ft. of ground level retail, 95 capacity internal garage)

markhollin

1 hour ago, andywildman said:

Big fan of the design - both the simplicity in facade materials as well as the articulation to keep it interesting from the street but also to provide more corner windows.

I like that there's a lot of 2br & 3br units, a good chunk of retail, but I love that there's only half as many parking spots as units.

Any guesses as to whether this ends up STR/LTR/condos?

the extremely low parking ratio indicates this project could be for STR, but planning tends to have deed restrictions on STR if the developer wants bonus height... 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

the extremely low parking ratio indicates this project could be for STR, but planning tends to have deed restrictions on STR if the developer wants bonus height... 

That was my first reaction, but the optimist in me is hopeful that this could end up for residents, not visitors.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, nashville born said:

Absolutely love the way the design gives the illusion of multiple towers as opposed to a boring, monolithic behemoth of a building.  Very nicely done.  Well played, indeed.

Me too, but it's also a throwback design to the days when each apartment needed crossflow of air with open windows.  I just think those make for great looking buildings that "mix up" the elevation from the street. 

• Like 2

I like it.  Not in love with it.  I am one that wants to see more height in that area because I don't want to see swaths of low and midrise developments one right after another.  At least this one it is 12 stories and has some architectural interest.  I'm just hoping the area doesn't become inundated with 4-8 story buildings that would be better suited outside of the CBD.

Edited by PillowTalk4
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/13/2022 at 12:51 PM, PillowTalk4 said:

I'm just hoping the area doesn't become inundated with 4-8 story buildings that would be better suited outside of the CBD.

On the same page with you on this point.  It's definitely an AND point for me.  Like the project AND want more height in the area.  Hoping the Park Place and Centrum projects help usher more into the area.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, natethegreat said:

You guys are too concerned with residential height. Manhattan is not only skyscrapers, head down to West/East Village and other residential communities to see more dense urban living. 12 stories is completely fine here. 

I'm not concerned.  It's simply a preference.  Others are welcome to theirs, and I hope I'm welcome to mine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Rlooper said:

I believe a lot of it is contributed to  the type of multifamily product we have Downtown; and of course the obvious is mass transit.  At this rate we are going to end up creating  clear and obvious boundaries of wealth and working class if we are only looking at WeGo bus service to tie it all together.  So I guess all im trying to say is a mix of building types downtown will provide greater access for more people given the circumstance.  

Well said.

On 10/17/2022 at 10:07 AM, natethegreat said:

You guys are too concerned with residential height. Manhattan is not only skyscrapers, head down to West/East Village and other residential communities to see more dense urban living. 12 stories is completely fine here. 

Clearly Nashville is not only skyscrapers either.  I'm certainly not for every available lot in Nashville being a skyscraper.  I like seeing varying heights.  I love both the East and West Village of Manhattan.  I love walking the streets of both areas knowing that streets of row homes in particular are just blocks away from skyscrapers in every direction.  Just like I love that Rutledge Hill is part of Nashville's downtown core.  That midtown has a mixture of residential and commercial areas.  And, that Germantown sits to the north of downtown.  Which probably a better comparison to the East and West Village on a smaller scale.  But, to compare an area that stretches almost 11 miles (from the north of Central Park down to Battery Park) to this small area of Nashville is a bit overstated if that's your intent.  And, because I've walked from the East Village over to the West Village which is a little over a 2 miles (depending on where you start and end), I just think that's like comparing apples with oranges.      

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2022 at 6:57 PM, markhollin said:

4th & Elm will be a 12 story, 176 unit residential complex with 11,844 sq. ft. of street level retail/restaurant space, and a 95 capacity internal garage to be developed by CA South.  The 4 parcel lot has a main address of 712 4th Ave. South, and currently has surface parking and a nondescript, non-historical commercial structure on the site  that CA South will need to purchase.

Rextark Design Studio and Rome Office are the architects; Schaefer will oversee structural engineering; Thomas & Hutton will handle civil engineering. The team and CA South will go before Metro Planning Commission Downtown Code Design Review Committee on Dec. 8th to seek approval. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/sobro-site-targeted-for-mixed-use-building/article_54e180da-48dc-11ed-b7cf-13f6997c86d2.html

And at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/10/11/ca-south-sobro-residential-project.html

4th & Elm, Oct 10, 2022, render 1.png

4th & Elm, Oct 10, 2022, render 2.png

4th & Elm, Oct 10, 2022, render 3.png

4th & Elm, Oct 10, 2022, render 4.png

4th & Elm, Oct 10, 2022, render 5.png

4th & Elm, Oct 10, 2022, render 6.png

4th & Elm, Oct 10, 2022, render 7.png

4th & Elm, Oct 10, 2022, render 8.png

4th & Elm, Oct 10, 2022, render 9.png

4th & Elm, Oct 10, 2022, diagram 1.png

4th & Elm, Oct 10, 2022, diagram 2.png

4th & Elm, Oct 10, 2022, diagram 3.png

4th & Elm, Oct 10, 2022, diagram 4.png

This is how the site looks currently:

649570681_4thElmOct102022siteaerial.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

521094994_4thElmOct102022sitemap.png
Nice, I like it. I think I also have to open a ticket :( I discovered the website https://letsgradeit.com/review/wiseessays/ when hunting for an internet tool to help me with my essay. I can easily create essays thanks to this service, which also aids in my timely completion of projects. Because it is very helpful for students, you ought to look at this website as well.

Nice, I like it.

Edited by JoseBarnes