2004 Charlotte Metro pop.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would mean that Nashville is not much smaller than Charlote.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is crazy is that the Hampton Roads area is almost or over 1.7 million and we get no recognition from anybody in the country!They also don't consider parts of NC that commute to work in our area as part of our metro area.

What is crazy is that the Hampton Roads area is almost or over 1.7 million and we get no recognition from anybody in the country!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it is any consolation I recognize you. :thumbsup: I have been to the VB area a lot. It is a lot of different cities rolled into one. In many ways it is kind of like the Triangle (@ 1.4 Million) and the Triad (@ 1.3-1.4 Million) of NC. Many towns in one general area. That is where the argument is always blurred for CSA versus MSA versus City Pop. We could go on and on ond on... (well you get the picture) ;)

If it is any consolation I recognize you.  :thumbsup: I have been to the VB area a lot. It is a lot of different cities rolled into one. In many ways it is kind of like the Triangle (@ 1.4 Million) and the Triad (@ 1.3-1.4 Million) of NC. Many towns in one general area. That is where the argument is always blurred for CSA versus MSA versus City Pop. We could go on and on ond on... (well you get the picture) ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We probably could have a nice size DT if every city here would not try to build their own.

It's weird that Anson is in it, and I would have thought Iredell would be in it, maybe even Lincoln as well.  No doubt these counties will soon be absorbed into the MSA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree. I don't know anyone of the 30K Anson residents, but I work with five from Moorseville and one from Statesville in Iredale County. (go figure) ;)

Yeah, Anson does look somewhat out of place...all the other counties have six-figure populations and Anson doesn't even come close; as a matter of fact, the county lost population between 2000-2003. I think Statesville is its own micropolitan area now.

It's hard to believe that between 2000-2003, Union County grew a whopping 17.9%, from 123,677 in 2000 to 145,986 in 2003. Cabarrus grew 8.9%, both Mecklenburg and York grew 8.2%, Gaston grew 1.5%, and Anson -0.4%.

Yeah, Anson does look somewhat out of place...all the other counties have six-figure populations and Anson doesn't even come close; as a matter of fact, the county lost population between 2000-2003. I think Statesville is its own micropolitan area now.

It's hard to believe that between 2000-2003, Union County grew a whopping 17.9%, from 123,677 in 2000 to 145,986 in 2003. Cabarrus grew 8.9%, both Mecklenburg and York grew 8.2%, Gaston grew 1.5%, and Anson -0.4%.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't get it either. I think that is why most websites qoute Charlotte Pop as a figure of 2-2.1 million for Metro. (ie Emporis). Even though the new stats tout a 1.5-1.6 million figure. How many people do you know from Stanley? Now let me ask you another ?. How many people do you know who live at the lake (Norman) in either Lincoln or Iredale? Get the idea. Iredale borders Mecklenburg. I just don't get it. It should definately be in the mix with towns like Moorseville a short drive up 77. ;)

That would mean that Nashville is not much smaller than Charlote.

The difference between Nashville and Charlotte is that Charlotte's MSA covers like ~3500 square miles while Nashville's covers over 5000 square miles (I think)--thus Charlotte might feel like a bigger place to some due to the higher overall population density of the metropolitan area.

Charlotte's ~2.1 million CSA covers right around 6000 square miles. Nashville's ~1.4 or 1.5 million CSA covers roughly the same area, *I think*

I calculated all of the land area about 2 years ago. I used to have exact numbers but now I'm going on memory. I think I remember them close enough.

I don't get it either. I think that is why most websites qoute Charlotte Pop as a figure of 2-2.1 million for Metro. (ie Emporis). Even though the new stats tout a 1.5-1.6 million figure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Emporis tends to overinflate everybody's metro figures.

Emporis tends to overinflate everybody's metro figures.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If they are inflated then all the cities are inflated. I think they have accurate city figures though. I have checked them against the census numbers. Emporis is usually held to high standard as their site is used by a lot of professionals.

If they are inflated then all the cities are inflated. I think they have accurate city figures though. I have checked them against the census numbers. Emporis is usually held to high standard as their site is used by a lot of professionals.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

just checked atlrvr. You are right. Emporis is, in fact, CSA figures.

I don't get it either. I think that is why most websites qoute Charlotte Pop as a figure of 2-2.1 million for Metro. (ie Emporis). Even though the new stats tout a 1.5-1.6 million figure. How many people do you know from Stanley? Now let me ask you another ?. How many people do you know who live at the lake (Norman) in either Lincoln or Iredale? Get the idea. Iredale borders Mecklenburg. I just don't get it. It should definately be in the mix with towns like Moorseville a short drive up 77.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually its fairly easy to get. If you refer to the information I posted in the Statistics topic, you will see that metro & micro areas are determined by commuting patterns.

In the case of the MSA, most people in Iredell commute to work in Statesville, not Charlotte. Thus it is in its own micropolitan area. Same for Lancaster and Lancaster County.

Actually its fairly easy to get.  If you refer to the information I posted in the Statistics topic, you will see that metro & micro areas are determined by commuting patterns. 

In the case of the MSA, most people in Iredell commute to work in Statesville, not Charlotte.  Thus it is in its own micropolitan area.  Same for Lancaster and Lancaster County.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting.... ;)

I guess the problem then with CLT is that we are very close to many micro areas that could be included within the MSA of CLT (if we defined MSA's with a certain square milage from a city core). We are also close to fairly large urban MSA's (ie Greensboro and Winston-Salem) that tend to bring our numbers way down. They are less than an hour drive up the road (less than 70 miles away from my doorstep). One other question, who does Boone/Blowing Rock fall under??? Hickory??? The reason I ask, is becasue every time you watch the news (any channel), the veiwing area is from Boone all the way to Rockingham. If we used that figure I am sure CLT would have a 3-4 Million figure, easy.

Using viewing areas would DEFINITELY be confusing. In Rock Hill, we get the Charlotte major stations as well as WIS in Columbia. WSPA in Spartanburg covers Asheville, and I'm sure Greenville's news does as well (and probably the other way for Asheville). You'd have metro areas competing for smaller areas for one. And imagine if Upstate SC (Greenville, Spartanburg, Anderson, Greenwood) were combined with the Asheville area...that's around 1.5-2 million at least.

And it is true that Emporis uses CSA figures, but they call it metro. Talk about confusing.

i hope that iredell and the others are never counted... as that means that we don't have all those extra inter-county commuters. The only exception is if the north line takes off with TOD.

after the wachovia merger, i wonder if forsyth county could be in charlotte's msa/csa/whatever, as quite a large number of people commute down to charlotte. that is mostly tongue in cheek, but who knows... i have met many more people who commute in from winston-salem than some surrounding counties.

That is true about Forsyth, when I was an intern at AT&T in URP, a lot of my coworkers were from Winston-Salem. The thing is, most of those people who commute to Charlotte only commute to Charlotte because they didn't want to give up their jobs, because their jobs moved to Charlotte. AT&T closed down its Winston-Salem office like years ago and consolidate its operations in Charlotte.

Archived