301 College Street High-rise mixed use development

gman430

9 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

No members of the public spoke in opposition.  Two spoke in favor. 

Yep and one of them was the CEO of the Children’s Museum. Discussion still ongoing of the DRB board members.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, apaladin said:

Channel 4 reported the exact opposite of what gman430 said. Lots of opposition etc return  in April. Did not mention the other 2 projects. Sounds like they got them mixed up. Imagine that. 

They sure did. Showed a bunch of old folks that just want to kill any development. Need some younger folks in these positions. Mix it up. Lol.

1 hour ago, motonenterprises said:

They sure did. Showed a bunch of old folks that just want to kill any development. Need some younger folks in these positions. Mix it up. Lol.

I emailed channel 4 and they apologized. Said the reporter was gone but they were pulling it from digital. I think the reporter they had there was absolutely clueless. Like I said he did not even mention the other 2 projects. Acted like the College St one was the only one on the agenda. Channel 7 got it right.

Edited by apaladin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

By the way, the developer stated at the DRB meeting last night that the Beach Company  is looking to shrink Buncombe Street one lane through that area in order to slow traffic down and increase the pedestrian realm. 

Good luck with that. Pretty sure that's a state road controlled by the SCDOT and an important corridor linking the West and NW side of town to 385 and the east side.  Lots of traffic flows through there.  I remember the plan by some to put Stone Ave. on a road diet too and the state said "No Go"

Edited by vistatiger

5 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

Good luck with that. Pretty sure that's a state road controlled by the SCDOT and an important corridor linking the West and NW side of town to 385 and the east side.  Lots of traffic flows through there.  I remember the plan by some to put Stone Ave. on a road diet too and the state said "No Go"

I thought their presentation was to leave three ones but make one narrower. 

14 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

Stone is a US Highway, so that means the Feds are required to sign off.  There was talk of changing the US 276 route to avoid Stone, but apparently that went nowhere. 

19 minutes ago, johnpro318 said:

I thought their presentation was to leave three ones but make one narrower. 

Completely eliminate the left turn only one next to this triangle site is what I thought. Not sure you can narrow any of those lanes and keep them within the DOT lane width regulations due to the curb cuts there anyways. 

Edited by gman430

5 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Screenshot_20221221_160818_Samsung Notes.png

So who were the naysayers on this, the people in the neighborhood off Atwood?  This building is literally a football field away from the Landmark and actually looks a bit farther from the edge of it. The Landmark is still going to be a lot more noticeable for them, and unfortunately, a lot uglier.

The only person that spoke at the meeting yesterday from the nearby neighborhoods spoke in favor of it.  The naysayers were no doubt people that don't live anywhere near it, but just lament that Greenville is growing and changing. 

I personally think project will improve the appearance of the Canvas building A LOT.  The tiered footprint made sense  on the mural side, because it faces a triangle, but it doesn't look appealing on the Academy side, and now you won't even see that really.     

NOW, if we can just get something done with the Bell South block that is caddy corner from this project. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

I don’t know what came of it, but the City had a proposal to take over portions of Augusta Street from state control. So, I wouldn’t dismiss the possibility so quickly. If the City gets behind it, I have no doubt that they would pursue it with vigor. I’ll hold out hope. 

On 12/21/2022 at 3:43 PM, gman430 said:

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Beach Company is the developer. Looks like it will be the second tallest building downtown. 

https://www.greenvillesc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/10240?fileID=56706

Gman, check out page 39. The building comparison has to be the old BB&T building. If I am reading it right and the heights are correct, the new building will be 229ft, so the BBT must be right at 132 no?  That gives us the actual height of that building. The old Emporis website (which I just recently found out is defunct) had it listed at 103, but I always suspected many of those heights were off.

1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

Gman, check out page 39. The building comparison has to be the old BB&T building. If I am reading it right and the heights are correct, the new building will be 229ft, so the BBT must be right at 132 no?  That gives us the actual height of that building. The old Emporis website (which I just recently found out is defunct) had it listed at 103, but I always suspected many of those heights were off.

That is correct. The old BB&T building is indeed 132 feet. Emporis doesn’t exist anymore for a reason. Their building heights were never accurate. This new building will be 20 stories/229 feet on the south side of it and 19 stories/219 feet on the north side of it. ONE phase II building is 150 feet tall and Falls Tower is 250 feet tall for further comparison. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Construction start date moved up to late Summer 2023. Brasfield & Gorrie who built ONE and Camperdown has been selected as the general contractor. Hundreds of construction jobs will be created. 

End of this year is going to be busy with construction breaking ground if all current schedules hold.