301 College Street High-rise mixed use development

gman430

20 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Well…

Kimpton, Main at Markley, County Square, Delano, Rhett Street mixed use project (if approved), Peace Center expansion, Mosiac (if approved), Woven, Westfield at Broad (if approved), UCB (currently under construction), Broadview (currently under construction), Gateway site, Beach Company high rise, Avant, Grace Church high rise (???), apartments next to Agfa building, Gibbs at Westfield townhomes, Pendleton West projects, Stone Avenue projects, Unity Park affordable housing projects, Unity Park Honor Tower, Church at Haynie project, etc. 

Sounds like some drone shots in our future hopefully 🤞 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Well…

Kimpton, Main at Markley, County Square, Delano, Rhett Street mixed use project (if approved), Peace Center expansion, Mosiac (if approved), Woven, Westfield at Broad (if approved), UCB (currently under construction), Broadview (currently under construction), Gateway site, Beach Company high rise, Avant, Grace Church high rise (???), apartments next to Agfa building, Gibbs at Westfield townhomes, Pendleton West projects, Stone Avenue projects, Unity Park affordable housing projects, Unity Park Honor Tower, Church at Haynie project, etc. 

Thanks. Wow, hard to keep up. I honestly don't even know what some of these are, like Avant and Broadview. 

59 minutes ago, johnpro318 said:

Sounds like some drone shots in our future hopefully 🤞 

Yeah, it’s been a while since I have taken drone pics. I’ll get some updated ones this weekend of downtown projects currently under construction. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Same, and why is there still a big parking lot at Main & Broad, given all of this new development?

I've always understood that one of the major limiting factors is the amount of owners and property lines. I agree this is one of the most desirable undeveloped corner in Greenville. Looks like the primary owners are Martin Famly Farms, Vivian Wong, and a unnamed LLC (can pretty easily find a name associated with it, but I won't publish here)

image.thumb.png.4493b04d050ceae176741602b2d814cb.png

Edited by NewlyUpstate
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, rabbit seisin said:

Yeah, Main & Broad has to be the most valuable surface parking in North America. You could build anything there. Maybe someday they'll make the craniacs on this forum happy and put up a 500 foot office building. 

If that were ever proposed the council and NIMBYS would say it's out of scale and we would end up with a 7 story box tower instead.

This new building is a great example of what I've been saying over the past few years about developers with these multi unit appt and condo buildings. We've had a bunch of these type developments built with units numbering in the hundreds but everybody else has chosen to build suburban looking lowrises that take up large footprints rather that a taller building like this. No reason this couldn't have happened with some of those other ones too. I wonder if any other ones will follow suit now that someone has set a precedent. 

8 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

This new building is a great example of what I've been saying over the past few years about developers with these multi unit appt and condo buildings. We've had a bunch of these type developments built with units numbering in the hundreds but everybody else has chosen to build suburban looking lowrises that take up large footprints rather that a taller building like this. No reason this couldn't have happened with some of those other ones too. I wonder if any other ones will follow suit now that someone has set a precedent. 

It’s a lot more expensive to build a concrete high rise than it is to build a low or mid rise with wood. That’s a lot of the reason why you see it occurring here and in other cities. Those tower cranes aren’t cheap to rent either. It is nice though finally seeing something different coming to our skyline and with mostly glass. While Charlotte has a ton of these style of buildings I feel like it is something Greenville has been missing. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 3

I noticed this weekend while driving into town on 385 that this proposed building will be visible when you get that first glimpse of the skyline near the airport. With the leaves off of the trees, it's clear to see the top of the Canvas office tower. Given this proposed apartment building's additional height, you'll clearly be able to see it above the tree line year round. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, cabelagent said:

Will site preparation begin prior to groundbreaking?

Demolition of garage is what will start construction in August or September from my understanding. Pile driving of caissons to occur very shortly after that followed by tower crane going up and rising of the building. One level of parking will technically be underground due to the grade difference/slope of the site. 

Edited by gman430
  • Thanks 3