Sustainable Cities in the USA

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not with intentions of being ignorant,

But am I the only person a little fuzzy on what a "sustainable city" is?

I have a vague interpretation of it, that sustainable cities, are cities where the people are vegetarians, and all drive hybrid cars?

This is a literal, and somewhat sarcastic interpretation. Nonetheless I am still rather confused.

It is an overused description, but did you read the article? Basically I believe it means in this definition a place what was not designed for, of and by the assumption that everyone will use a automobile to get around. Crime, public space, other factors play into it as well.

Hmmm...it seems to me like this ranking has some bias in it. If you want to talk pure "sustainability", I feel like laughing when I look at mostly California cities being in the top rankings. They can look at mass transit or how many people drive hybrid cars, but what about water? Water should at least be mentioned when dealing with sustainability. How many CA cities are fed water via aqueduct systems off of other states like Nevada and Colorado? What about higher costs of living? Sure, you've got "greener" buildings, but how many regular people can afford to live there? I know I might stir up debate with these statements, but I can't help it. I look at this list and I want...too..... :rofl:

Hmmm...it seems to me like this ranking has some bias in it. If you want to talk pure "sustainability", I feel like laughing when I look at mostly California cities being in the top rankings. They can look at mass transit or how many people drive hybrid cars, but what about water? Water should at least be mentioned when dealing with sustainability. How many CA cities are fed water via aqueduct systems off of other states like Nevada and Colorado? What about higher costs of living? Sure, you've got "greener" buildings, but how many regular people can afford to live there? I know I might stir up debate with these statements, but I can't help it. I look at this list and I want...too.....  :rofl:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good point"

I would love to see their data and their math. They put Pittsburgh at #19 overall, but according to their article it was #1 for "local food and agriculture." And based on other things I have read, Pittsburgh ought to rank very well for green buildings. So I wonder what is dragging it down. The water here should be clean enough, and the air no worse than everage. Hm.

If you want to talk pure "sustainability", I feel like laughing when I look at mostly California cities being in the top rankings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to agree...water availability and consumption should be a big factor in sustainability of an area....as well as energy, two areas where California and the southwest fail miserably at.

that and the possibilty of natural disasters at a very massive scale.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Another great point! I completely forgot about that, and I'm sure this ranking doesn't account for that as well. It's good to see that I'm not the only person who recognized this ranking as either severely biased or in error since it does not account other VERY important factors.

I have to agree...water availability and consumption should be a big factor in sustainability of an area....as well as energy, two areas where California and the southwest fail miserably at.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

..and maybe some consideration should be given to the fact that the state they are in is in financial chaos.

Archived