Belle Meade Village (nine buildings of 12, 11, 10, 8, 2, and 1 stories, 388 residential units, 78 room hotel, 80,000 sq. ft. of retail, underground garages, and creekside park)

markhollin

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

Was this a recent plan? It was referencing the rebuild of I 440 which has already been done. So, I am thinking this is an old plan.

On a similar note, the Gov and TDOT are expected to have a new spending plan announced this week, I think. Let's see how much of this is in there.

This is from the list of projects that TDOT released a month or two ago that don’t have any funding but that they surmised could be built using the private-public partnership idea that they just came out with. I think there was a lot of discussion on the document in the Transportation and Mass Transit thread.

Regardless - this is a recent proposal, but it’s one without a funding source and one that I can’t imagine will have any real momentum any time soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thom Druffel (District 23 council member) is now publicly opposed to this development. The site is not in his district; it is in the adjacent district 24, represented by CM Kathleen Murphy. Nonetheless, Druffel likely holds some sway.

The relevant portion of CM Druffel's constituent email is copied below:

Here is my take on the project: 
1. It does not appear to represent what our community needs. We have a wealth of new apartment complexes on Charlotte, just a few miles from this site. There is also an abundance of hotels nearby in Green Hills, West End at Murphy Road, and, of course midtown and downtown. I have not heard from our neighborhood that we are seeking higher density or a hotel. 
2. Bringing in high density housing will increase traffic in an already burdened intersection. The developer suggests that apartments will reduce traffic from the current retail use. Is this argument flawed when you consider that retail hours and the days are limited. Apartment residents and hotel guests will be coming and going on all days and at all hours.

3. There needs to be a thorough and unbiased traffic study. We were all hoping to have learned what the developer has proposed for this corner yesterday with NDOT’s assessment. We need a comprehensive plan for the infrastructure of this intersection in terms of bridges, lanes and sewer and water runoff. Traffic design should precede development.

4. The impact on neighboring streets will be detrimental. We already have too much cut through on Post Road, Wilsonia, Brook Hollow and Hickory Valley. Drivers will look for any cut through with the additional traffic caused by this development. This needs to be considered before any significant development is approved.

5. The proposed development will have only 1/3 of the current retail square footage. So many of the local businesses and restaurants are well used by those of us who live in the area. The walk-in clinic, Smoothie King, Starbuck’s, Katy’s Hallmark, the Japanese and Mexican restaurants and the Watch Repair shop are examples of neighborhood businesses. We need more, not less. The elimination of local businesses will cause residents to drive further from our area for comparable dining and shopping. 
6. The project needs to be examined in context with other developments being considered. The Manning on two lane Woodmont is not fully occupied. There are developments being discussed for St. Thomas (at the Picnic site) and on White Bridge Road at Steinmart. A mention has also been made for the retail strip at Chuey’s, although it has been put on hold for the time being. All of these developments will add significant strain on an area that is already a chokehold at times. All directions from White Bridge and Harding are already congested at many times of the day. The proximity of several private schools adds to traffic in the morning and at dismissal. The Kroger will move to the old Harris Teeter/Theater site, so that traffic will be moved closer to Kenner which is already a tight spot.

7. There is insufficient parking on the proposed site. 80 spaces are designed for the limited retail. The rest are proposed underground spots. The proximity to the creek and the flooding in the area, as well as the disruption from blasting an underground parking garage present problems. 
8. The height of the three towers is not in keeping with the residential character of the neighborhood, and is far higher than any nearby developments. It will set a precedent for height that the neighborhood does not desire, and presents questions about loss of daylight and views from homes situated to the west of the site.

• Sad 3

On 1/4/2023 at 10:37 AM, chc3 said:

With all of our superb local roasters, why do people even in upscale areas still patronize that insipid corporate brand with burnt coffee and pre-made additives?

It's all of the drinks that they have that aren't coffee.  Those are the bigger sellers...

3 hours ago, go_outside said:

4. The impact on neighboring streets will be detrimental. We already have too much cut through on Post Road, Wilsonia, Brook Hollow and Hickory Valley. Drivers will look for any cut through with the additional traffic caused by this development. This needs to be considered before any significant development is approved.

Part of the reason drivers cut through on Post Road is because Belle Meade PD blocks traffic on Harding Pike to let traffic from Belle Meade Boulevard out each morning.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting suggestion, and it would line up in the sequence of what in Nashville is a real Downtown and a real Midtown. So as far as that goes, it is logical. I doubt the folks in Belle Meade would enjoy having any suggestion of any "town" in their front yard.  I also don't expect them to like any new development without a sea of asphalt for parking. 

I just think the "uptown" moniker sounds phony and 'trying too hard' to make an area seem like a destination.  LOL...  Maybe it's from watching too much South Park back in the day. 

• Like 4

Echoing go_outside's excellent post, here are some of the tweaks to the overall plan according to this morning's NBJ piece:

- Shorter buildings. AJ Capital has cut the height of all buildings and decreased the height of the tallest building by nearly half.

- More retail. The company has added 20,000 more square feet of retail, bringing the total retail footprint to 80,000 square feet.

- Less density. The project is now planned for 388 residential units and 78 hotel rooms, down from 500 units and 120 rooms. The changes equal a subtraction of 142,000 square feet from the development.

- More parking. AJ Capital is pitching 950 parking spots, up from 664 parking spots in its original development plans.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2023/02/15/aj-capital-belle-meade-kroger-update.html

Also, a new rendering of the retail area:

Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 7.50.51 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6

34 minutes ago, natethegreat said:

I hope when I’m old and wealthy that I don’t fight tooth and nail to save strip malls…

Yeah, same. But doing some introspection this morning. I like new buildings & new neighbors to support cool businesses - I understand that improving the tax base means less tax hikes for myself in the future - I even (gasp) ride the bus downtown from time to time. I live a block away from a Kroger (probably closer than any detached houses are to this strip mall)...

I love the 7-story proposal for the Diesel College in East Nashville - please put that on top of my Kroger and its parking lot. I'd be fine with a 12-story building (the new height proposed) - but I'm also an urban development nerd who spends my lunch break on this forum!

If I'm one of the ~50 neighbors in 1/4 mile of that tower, I understand the desire to shrink the height (see pic). from a 200' building as originally proposed - that's the height of the Modera and the Harlowe apartment towers in the Gulch, even though I think it's absolutely necessary in this city.

For everyone else coming from miles away and neighboring council districts worried about traffic patterns they don't understand, or people who hold nostalgia for that parking lot or some other "protect my neighborhood" nonsense, they can pound sand.

image.png.d4586155b3fcd13533d59241811104b0.png

• Like 4