Belmont @ Freemason Progress

okinawatyphoon

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would have been impossible to make it softer. The system is designed to have as much separation from roads as possible. The tracks for the train are not going to be multipurpose meaning that trucks will not be able to park on them or make deliveries in front of the building. To make it wider, the road through there would have had to been on the west side instead of the east as it is. That would have required vehicles to turn across track to access it. They made the turn as wide as they possibly could have with the situation they were given. There just isn't a lot of room there.

Haha, yeah that's it.

Its just such a sharp turn whenever there appears much more room for a softer shoulder, one where trucks can get in to make deliveries or help folks move furniture. Oh well I guess the city feels that spot needs a band aid buffer or something to separate light rail and city life.

Also, that corner of the Belmont is an absolutely perfect spot for a retail establishment....high density, close proximity to transit, easy access to pedestrian crossing the ghent/hauge bridge...and most importantly (something hard to create in the city) a sense of place created from walls on at least 3 sides (the belmont, the hotel, and the parking garage...also that brownish/grey office tower 1 block south), not to mention that vehicle traffic is slow and light, which means a feeling of safety. I could easily imagine an urban 7/11 going there!!! Or Waffle House!

I'm sure it will be converted in the next 10 years!

• 2 weeks later...

Rode my bike behind it, along the LR lines with some friends last night on an expedition through Downtown and Ghent.

Like the nearby Alexander and 21st St's 201 Twenty-One, the density is ideal for Norfolk, further justifying the city's urban planning vision for the future. My complaint is that the rates are too steep for a 'young professional' like myself, who is interested in the idea of living in an urban atmosphere like that, with its close proximity to the future mass transit station. Besides Ghent, the Freemason area contains my favorite urban residential neighborhoods in Hampton Roads, and the Belmont fits perfectly as a welcome to that area from Brambleton Avenue. Aesthetically, I have minimal complaints; it's got somewhat of a mixture of old and new architectural styles that really give off an amazing street presence. I'm eager to watch this TOD to continue its life cycle, which will become more vibrant once light rail is officially opened.

On a somewhat related note, it would be nice to see other cities follow this model of TOD, like Chesapeake for example, when a light rail spur makes it out there. An ideal location of Belmont-style development, or an entire 'activity center', is the cleared land to the NE of the I-64/Battlefield interchange loop, very close to the rail line that the city has indicated as a future mass transit line.

Archived