4012 Hillsboro Pike (zoned for 15 stories, mixed-use residential)

markhollin

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Binbin98 said:

Green hills = future Buck head 

Most likely not.  Green Hills is way too close in, less than a mile from the 440 loop..  Buckhead is miiles out Peachtree and if I recall it and is not close to Fulton County.  All of Green Hills is Davidson County.  I think Brentwood has a better chance of being a NeoBuckhead than Green Hills.  Also further growth on 21st from Vanderbilt is so close and a direct line into the West END/ Broadway growth to expect a city sized secondary core to develop in Green Hills.   There will be a very nice midrise node there around Abbott Martin, but there is insufficient land to  develop at the scale of Buckhead IMO.  The other feeder roads are already too well developed with pricey homes, churches and educational facilities that are not going to sell out.  So much ieast of the Mall s fairly new and zoned residential.  I only see  the single story strip centers as being likely to sell and be developed  Nothing will happen near Woodland or Old Hickory Blvd IMO.

• Like 3

On 3/5/2023 at 2:55 PM, jkc2j said:

I currently live in the Atlanta area. Buckhead is roughly 7.4 miles from downtown/midtown Atlanta, almost the exact same distance as Green Hills is from downtown Nashville at 7.5 miles so technically Buckhead is a tiny bit closer to Atlanta than Green Hills is to Nashville. Buckhead’s skyline rivals some midsized southern cities and exceeds most smaller southern cities.

As stated Green Hills would need a massive revamp of it’s infrastructure to be able to compete, though I do see the comparison. Both are essentially quasi upscale edge cities though Green Hills functions more like an extension of Nashville and feels more like a neighborhood. Buckhead essentially feels like it’s own thing away from other parts of Atlanta. 

I'd personally prefer places like Green Hills to develop more like the edge cities of DC, with an abundence of midrises lining the main corridors with a few 20-30 story buildings thrown in to break up the monotony. Buckhead, while nice to look at from a disrance leaves a lot to be desired at the street level.

You make a good point, but I do want to note that Green Hills is about 4.3 miles straight-line from downtown and about 4.6 miles using a direct route (21st Ave S). The center of Buckhead is about 6.3 miles straight-line from downtown Atlanta and about 7.8 miles using a direct route (Peachtree Rd). I think this supports what you said about Green Hills being much more like a neighborhood than Buckhead.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:
16 hours ago, natethegreat said:

Memphis and a bunch of rural nothing. Tennessee would be Mississippi without Nashville. 

Nice. You’re insulting both my home state (TN) and the state of my ancestors (MS). 

I’m a Nashville Native, I reside here now, I’ve lived in five different States. 

The Nashville I’ve known has always been full of people who have either never lived in another State or fled places that are experiencing the results applied Progressive  Ideologies (namely progressive taxation and excessive bureaucracy). 

These folks are either growing more conservative as they age… or… their initial comfort of leaving said problems behind is slowly replaced by their core belief system that a god-like-government leviathan (all the things they fled or have never truly experienced) must be applied or constructed to “fix” their new environs. Of course this time if we do “better” or MORE… Utopia awaits. Of course our “experts” (usually representatives, academics, government workers or activists that have little or no private sector experience) one thing they can objectively do well is campaign (and that’s a “good” thing because they perpetually campaign) and hold religiously to the fantasy that we can  engineer or socially engineer ourselves into a great big beautiful tomorrow…. 

With other peoples money, borrowed future money or federally counterfeited money. 

“Progress”

308CCCA6-5606-45FE-880C-9A124F56AE88.webp

Edited by PleinNash
  • Thanks 1

That was quite a diatribe. My family is from MS too and I’ll bash it until the cows come home. MS is the absence of progress, nothing is moving forward there. You can complain about progressive governments in CA, NY, etc (and I agree to an extent), but at least those places have something to show for it. Jackson is third world. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, natethegreat said:

That was quite a diatribe. My family is from MS too and I’ll bash it until the cows come home. MS is the absence of progress, nothing is moving forward there. You can complain about progressive governments in CA, NY, etc (and I agree to an extent), but at least those places have something to show for it. Jackson is third world. 

At least Oxford is pleasant.

• Like 2

My grandmother lived the last 3 years of her life in Mississippi and when she died I’ve never been treated better than the people in her town. None of them knew her well but they treated us like family, bringing food and condolences to the church where her funeral was held. They may lack “progress” (whatever the hell that means) but they sure don’t lack basic humanity. 

I honestly think half of the reason the state keeps hammering the city is because of this sneering, looking down your nose sense of superiority that many of the white progressives  in Nashville have towards those who live in the rural counties. Heck, I wouldn’t be on this forum if I wasn’t a big fan of urban development but reading some of these posts makes me want them to come down even harder. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

My grandmother lived the last 3 years of her life in Mississippi and when she died I’ve never been treated better than the people in her town. None of them knew her well but they treated us like family, bringing food and condolences to the church where her funeral was held. They may lack “progress” (whatever the hell that means) but they sure don’t lack basic humanity. 

I honestly think half of the reason the state keeps hammering the city is because of this sneering, looking down your nose sense of superiority that many of the white progressives  in Nashville have towards those who live in the rural counties. Heck, I wouldn’t be on this forum if I wasn’t a big fan of urban development but reading some of these posts makes me want them to come down even harder. 

Progress = literacy, child mortality, life expectancy, teen pregnancy, economic opportunity, obesity. 

I agree they are good people, but it’s a place stuck in time. 

• Sad 1