St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Projects

Memphis4ever

1 hour ago, VSRJ said:

Very nice! According to Wikipedia, they will be the 13th and 14th tallest buildings in the city, narrowly beating Le Bonheur's tower (251 feet).

The best part is these are actively under construction so there is no hoping or waiting on funding.  So its a guarantee we will be seeing something tall.

• VSRJ changed the title to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Projects

From the St. Jude website (originally posted in July 2022): https://www.stjude.org/media-resources/news-releases/2022-medicine-science-news/st-jude-announces-expansion-of-strategic-plan-targeting-pediatric-catastrophic-diseases.html

St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital announces expansion of its strategic plan to target pediatric catastrophic diseases

1657721095274.thumb.jpg.38d16083219ea84fe8db71080d40a594.jpg

View of future Outpatient Clinic and Clinical Office Building from Route I-40

Six-year plan will now commit $12.9 billion to support 2,300 jobs, among other priorities

Following a promising first year of its 2022–27 strategic plan, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is increasing its investment in programs to advance the study and treatment of pediatric cancer and other catastrophic diseases.

The growth includes an additional $1.4 billion to the institution’s six-year operating and capital budget, bringing the total to $12.9 billion. The expansion also encompasses raising the number of new jobs from 1,400 to 2,300; and increasing funds for construction, renovation and capital needs from $1.9 billion to $2.3 billion.

The plan, which started July 1, 2021, marked the institution’s largest strategic expansion in its 60-year history. The new funding will affect scientific operations, clinical care, global medicine and infrastructure.

“Even before last year’s strategic plan launch, we began to explore the possibility of further expanding the budget and staffing numbers,” said James R. Downing, M.D., St. Jude president and CEO. “Working with internal and external subject-matter experts, we developed a proposal for opportunities where a larger investment would help accelerate research and treatment for childhood catastrophic diseases. With these increases, we are better positioned to build on the outlined plan, as well as capitalize on emerging technologies and discoveries.”

The addendum to the budget and employee figures will be used to strengthen the following areas.

Investment in fundamental science
The 2022–27 plan charted initiatives across the fields of structural biology, advanced microscopy and data sciences. These efforts are directed at better defining normal biology and disease states. With this data, researchers will gain valuable insights into why diseases arise, spread or resist treatment. More than $250 million in capital, personal and operating expenses will be allocated to the areas, doubling the current funding.

Another $15 million has been dedicated to a large-scale program to explore the structure of protein kinases, bringing total six-year funding for the initiative to $50 million. From this effort, researchers hope to better understand the role of protein kinases, key regulators of cell function, in pediatric cancers and drug resistance. From this work, scientists will glean insights that could be useful in developing new precision therapies. 

Investment in global childhood cancer care
In low- and middle-income countries, pediatric cancer survival rates languish below 20%. In the U.S., however, 80% of U.S. children with the same diseases are cured. A new investment will help researchers improve these statistics. Funding for the global initiatives will grow to $100 million annually by 2024, further supporting St. Jude–established networks around the world. By training doctors, nurses, researchers and other professionals; developing and strengthening health care systems; and advancing knowledge to sustain improvements in how medicine is practiced internationally, the institution seeks to cure 60% of children with six of the most common childhood cancers worldwide during the next decade. This growth is in addition to the $200 million St. Jude committed last year to create a global platform to ensure that children in low- and middle-income countries have access to quality cancer medications.

Investment in collaboration
The strategic plan outlines funds for collaborative projects among St. Jude and scientists across the U.S. and around the world. To date, St. Jude has supported five teams of researchers who are addressing questions in fundamental biology, pediatric cancer, sickle cell disease and survivorship. Funding will increase to $160 million during the next five years—an increase of nearly $60 million from the original budget. By 2027, St. Jude leadership plans to support a total of 11 collaborations focused on tackling unanswered needs in science and medicine.

Investment in the St. Jude campus
As St. Jude increases staff and accepts more children for treatment, creating a top workplace and a welcoming home-away-from-home for patients and their families is a major priority. The increased funds will be used to enhance construction projects, including the Domino’s Village, a 140-unit housing facility for patients and their families, and the Family Commons, a treatment-free zone for patients and their families within the hospital. The expansion will also be used for construction of two, 15-story towers dedicated to patient care and clinical research—a project that will cost more than $1 billion. The institution has filed permits with the Memphis and Shelby County Division of Planning and Development to begin the construction process of the two towers.

Unlike other hospitals, the majority of funding for St. Jude comes from generous donors. In the years ahead, it’s estimated that 89% of the funds necessary to sustain and grow St. Jude must be raised each year from donations.

“The largest financial investment in the 60-year history of St. Jude is thanks to the 12 million donors who support its lifesaving mission,” said Richard C. Shadyac Jr., president and CEO of ALSAC, the fundraising and awareness organization for St. Jude. “Their incredible generosity is fueling research and care that will impact more children worldwide for generations to come.”

The expansion follows a year of milestones across five focus areas—fundamental science, pediatric cancer care, childhood catastrophic diseases, global outreach, and workplace and culture.

“The heart of the plan—accelerating progress globally—remains the same,” Downing said. “This expansion ensures employees have ample resources and bandwidth to achieve that important goal.”

Looks like a single story building will be razed to clear space for the Western tower.  Also, it looks like the small gift shop building is gone, and in that area, there is a path that says "To underground parking garage." 

The surface parking lot that fronts 3rd St is labeled as "Future building pad."  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Maybe the Pyramid won't look so alone from certain vantage points after these towers go up. Plus, more buildings in the Pinch are planned. 

Agreed. Maybe with St. Jude’s input/proximity Intrator’s plans will come to fruition. Meaning to say, there will be demand on needing his proposed towers simply because St. Jude employees can live in the Pinch, plus they’ll be able to walk to more amenities his plans will provide, not to mention the wonderful children and their families that are receiving treatment. 

https://dailymemphian.com/section/neighborhoods/article/34039/memphis-healthcare-st-jude-files-permits-for-1-billion-towers-project

Construction permits were filed Tuesday, Feb. 7, for two towers at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital’s Downtown campus, signaling its $12.9 billion campus expansion is progressing.

Oklahoma-based Flintco Construction filed the permits with the Memphis and Shelby County Division of Planning and Development.

The permits are for a 15-story, 685,551-square-foot outpatient clinic building and a 16-story, 581,343-square-foot clinical office building. The two buildings have a combined estimated cost of $74.5 million. 

39 minutes ago, JTM1 said:

https://dailymemphian.com/section/neighborhoods/article/34039/memphis-healthcare-st-jude-files-permits-for-1-billion-towers-project

Construction permits were filed Tuesday, Feb. 7, for two towers at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital’s Downtown campus, signaling its $12.9 billion campus expansion is progressing.

Oklahoma-based Flintco Construction filed the permits with the Memphis and Shelby County Division of Planning and Development.

The permits are for a 15-story, 685,551-square-foot outpatient clinic building and a 16-story, 581,343-square-foot clinical office building. The two buildings have a combined estimated cost of $74.5 million. 

They increased the height of one of the towers. Will be 265-ft. 

5 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

Will actually be the 12th tallest building in Memphis.  1Edging out the Exchange Building by a single foot.  The other St. Jude Tower will be 14th tallest, just ahead of LeBonheur.  

It's definitely going to change the skyline landscape. Driving  I-40  will look so different. 

2 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Are there any Wikipedia users who can update the Memphis tallest buildings page? @smeagolsfree do you know who updates Nashville's?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Memphis

I suppose Grand Hyatt needs to be removed as well.

I just clicked on it and hit visual editor and it was going to let me edit, so anyone can edit the page.

9 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Are there any Wikipedia users who can update the Memphis tallest buildings page? @smeagolsfree do you know who updates Nashville's?

There’s actually one not on there - The Medical Center Towers building. I can’t find a height on it. Emporis probably listed it, but that site shut down. It’s 20 floors and skyscraperpage has it between the Exchange Building and LeBonheur, so between 251-264 ft. It’s ugly as is, but I think could look cool if repurposed. Doubt that happens as UTHSC has talked about tearing it down. 

A5006C11-54EF-4147-8734-0E6A5DA099F5.jpeg

Edited by MDC26

Found this design of St Jude campus master plan.  Don't know how old it is.  The  most interesting thing was it looked like they repositioned Jackson Ave/N Lauderdale closer to I-40 to bring the old Fire Station Property to be inside the gates.  Also shows another pedestrian bridge over 3rd St, and two pedestrian bridges across 2nd St.  

StJude_ChildrenHospital_B02.jpg

• Like 3

I have noticed recently that there is a growing access problem especially since the new research tower opened. Closing the Lauderdale access is bound to make it worse. Traffic in the morning rush hour often backs up on Danny Thomas across I-40. One improvement that would be helpful is a double left turn lane from northbound Danny Thomas onto westbound AW Willis. 

2 hours ago, DowntownUrbanite said:

I have noticed recently that there is a growing access problem especially since the new research tower opened. Closing the Lauderdale access is bound to make it worse. Traffic in the morning rush hour often backs up on Danny Thomas across I-40. One improvement that would be helpful is a double left turn lane from northbound Danny Thomas onto westbound AW Willis. 

There's definitely gonna have to be some road re-alignment & re-configuration done by the city and the state in order to accommodate the continued growth of St. Jude's campus - along with the planned redevelopment of the Pinch District. I think ultimately there will be a need to replace the current half-cloverleaf interchange over I-40 at Danny Thomas with something like a diverging diamond among other improvements.

On 2/8/2023 at 12:48 PM, VSRJ said:

The person who does the Nashville WIki page is Brichar4 on UP. Feel free to message him to see if he can help.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, James Owen said:

There's definitely gonna have to be some road re-alignment & re-configuration done by the city and the state in order to accommodate the continued growth of St. Jude's campus - along with the planned redevelopment of the Pinch District. I think ultimately there will be a need to replace the current half-cloverleaf interchange over I-40 at Danny Thomas with something like a diverging diamond among other improvements.

Speaking of Danny Thomas, the downtown master plan suggests that it should be an at grade road in the core so there can more connectivity to the Edge. I’d like to hear opinions on that as well. I’d welcome it, because the current setup isn’t that good. It acts like an interstate with all the signage and discourages walkability. The Walk’s plans called for a cap over DT at Madison. I’d rather have the at grade option instead. 

Edited by The Guardian of Memphis
  • Like 2

On 2/10/2023 at 4:29 PM, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Speaking of Danny Thomas, the downtown master plan suggests that it should be an at grade road in the core so there can more connectivity to the Edge. I’d like to hear opinions on that as well. I’d welcome it, because the current setup isn’t that good. It acts like an interstate with all the signage and discourages walkability. The Walk’s plans called for a cap over DT at Madison. I’d rather have the at grade option instead. 

I believe this is what you're referring too. 

Screenshot_20230210-194148.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2023 at 4:29 PM, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Than might work but you will have to convince the bluff dwellers and MRPP who want to close Riverside Drive and build new ramps from the south side to send that traffic onto a limited access Danny Thomas.  The cap park proposed for “The Walk” can become like Klyde Warren Park in Dallas. Maybe the Edge can be stitched together by capping more of Danny Thomas from Jefferson and Union. There are so many underutilized parcels and surface parking areas which could allow 2 levels of below ground parking and Jefferson and Madison be raised with the redevelopment of this area. 
https://www.theurbanist.org/2017/11/01/lid-5-awarded-48000-grant-community-outreach/klyde-warren-park-aerial-view_edit/

08168374-3114-435E-A552-4CBE450D8BF1.jpeg

Edited by DowntownUrbanite
Added photo and link
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, DowntownUrbanite said:

Than might work but you will have to convince the bluff dwellers and MRPP who want to close Riverside Drive and build new ramps from the south side to send that traffic onto a limited access Danny Thomas.  The cap park proposed for “The Walk” can become like Klyde Warren Park in Dallas. Maybe the Edge can be stitched together by capping more of Danny Thomas from Jefferson and Union. There are so many underutilized parcels and surface parking areas which could allow 2 levels of below ground parking and Jefferson and Madison be raised with the redevelopment of this area. 
https://www.theurbanist.org/2017/11/01/lid-5-awarded-48000-grant-community-outreach/klyde-warren-park-aerial-view_edit/

I like the idea of extending the cap outward onto both sides of Union and Monroe Avenues, but I doubt an extension onto Jefferson and Madison would be possible because of how those overpasses are shaped (also Danny Thomas curves once you pass Monroe to the north).

On 2/12/2023 at 10:10 AM, DowntownUrbanite said:

I like your idea 

• 3 weeks later...