2023 NASHVILLE PROJECT THREAD/ RECENTLY COMPLETED 2021-2022/ UNDER CONSTRUCTION/PROPOSED

smeagolsfree

On 2/11/2023 at 11:07 AM, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

Good points! 

I don't like to compare cities either--every city has its unique pros and also cons, but with that being said, here's my take and opinions--

Cities that were Nashville's peers, but Nashville has passed in the last 10-20 years, due to fast growth:

*Raleigh - fast growing city but too small infrastructure to compete with Nashville right now , slow growing skyline

Raleigh and Durham, which are less 25 miles apart,  are 2 separate metro areas which just happened in the 2010 census .   If they are brought back together as they have been for decades before (which may happen soon)  the Raleigh Durham combined metro area is larger in population than Nashville's.  They do have the Carolina Hurricanes NHL team a frequent rival of Nashville Predators.   And Charlotte metro is a good bit bigger than Nashville ticking in over 2.7 M vs just over 2 M for Nashville.   Raleigh Durham combined population is 2.1 M with the Research Triangle Park is in the middle mostly Durham county but a 1/3 in Wake County home of Raleigh.  The cross commuting between the 2 cores counties is very intense.   (Downtown Dallas and Fort Worth are just over 30 miles apart  for comparison) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

All good points KJHburg, but then that leads to the discussion I posted recently. Where do we try to draw the lines , on population theory? I for one believe it should be based on the city limits of each individual location. Whereas Raleigh is Raleigh and Durham is Durham, just as Nashville is Nashville. We can try to blur the lines absolutely by adding in the veribles of MSA’s and close by municipalities. The same then can be said Clarksville is only 35 minutes away from Nashville, Murfreesboro is only 25 minutes away, etc. let’s combine everything within 35 minutes and of course that’s going to blur the numbers. Plus numbers alone don’t make a city what it is, there’s many other factors at play. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/11/2023 at 11:07 AM, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

Good points! 

I don't like to compare cities either--every city has its unique pros and also cons, but with that being said, here's my take and opinions--

Cities that were Nashville's peers, but Nashville has passed in the last 10-20 years, due to fast growth:

*Birmingham - no pro teams, smaller airport, lower skyline, not super fast growing

*Memphis - 1 pro team, very slow growth, lower skyline, crime/poverty issues

*Louisville - no pro teams, smaller airport, skyline with potential but slow growing, sluggish economy

*Oklahoma City - 1 pro team, decently growing economy, skyline that needs work-decent density, growing population

*Raleigh - fast growing city but too small infrastructure to compete with Nashville right now , slow growing skyline

*Salt Lake City - fast growing city, 1 pro team, great skyline, has potential to jump tiers though in a decade-ish

*Richmond - growing city, no pro teams, capital city with good quality of life but some issues with poverty/crime

*Jacksonville - growing city but too sprawling, 1 pro team, sporadic skyline growth with low density

*Columbus - growing city, 1 pro team, capital city but slower growing, slow growing skyline

Cities that are Nashville's peers currently, in 2023:

*Kansas City - 3 pro teams, similar metro population, smaller skyline, slower growth

*Austin - 1 upcoming MLS pro team, booming city, booming skyline bigger than Nashville's, dynamic city that could jump tiers in a decade

*Charlotte - 3 pro teams, similar metro population but larger, taller skyline but similar density, growing economy

*Portland, OR - similar metro population, 1 pro team, dense skyline with fewer buildings, strong economy

*Cincinnati - 2 pro teams, similar metro population, dense skyline with compact downtown (fewer bldgs overall than Nashville), decent economy

*Indianapolis - 2 pro teams, similar metro population, small skyline for its size, good economy

*Milwaukee - 3 metro pro teams, smaller metro population, growing skyline that has baseline urbanity and density, good economy

*Orlando - 1 pro team, massive tourist economic base, similar metro population but larger, decent economy

*San Antonio - 1 pro team, larger metro than Nashville, growing fast, good downtown with decent skyline, good economy

Cities that are still above Nashville, but Nashville is climbing fast:

*St Louis - 3 pro teams, larger metro than Nashville, ok economy, smaller downtown that should be larger for its size

*Baltimore - 2 pro teams, larger metro than Nashville, feels much more urban and dense than Nashville, smaller skyline though

*Denver - 4 pro teams, larger metro than Nashville, more dense downtown with more skyscrapers, solid economy

*Minneapolis - 4 pro teams, larger metro than Nashville, taller and more dense downtown, strong economy

*Tampa - 3 pro teams, larger metro than Nashville, fast-growth, downtown skyline that is smaller but starting to grow quick

*Cleveland - 3 pro teams, similar metro to Nashville, much more urban and dense, skyline that has fewer buildings but taller, weak economy

*Pittsburgh - 3 pro teams, similar metro to Nashville, more urban and dense, downtown that is taller and more dense, similar skyscraper count

Sometimes it feels like Memphis gets picked on a bit.  I understand it has some issues, yet so do other cities.  Two other cities listed have higher crime rates than Memphis, yet the Bluff City (and Richmond) had it's crime rate mentioned while the other two didn't.   Not throwing shade, just trying to stand up for our sister city to the west.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, nashville born said:

Sometimes it feels like Memphis gets picked on a bit.  I understand it has some issues, yet so do other cities.  Two other cities listed have higher crime rates than Memphis, yet the Bluff City (and Richmond) had it's crime rate mentioned while the other two didn't.   Not throwing shade, just trying to stand up for our sister city to the west.

I hear what you are saying. 

I have a soft spot for Memphis--I love that city. I want to see it succeed badly. It's doing some really good things and growing slowly. 

It has had a higher crime rate for a long time, and struggles to see that drop. I don't know the answers, but I hope Memphis can solve it. St Louis, Baltimore, Milwaukee, Louisville and other cities on the list struggle with higher crime too.

I follow Memphis closely and root for its success too. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/12/2023 at 9:56 PM, jmtunafish said:

The one thing that SLC beats the snot out of most cities is its spectacular mountain backdrop.  Plus its incredibly extensive and immensely popular public transportation system.  Oh, and some of the world's best skiing just minutes from downtown.

Wow, I haven't been there in quite awhile and didn't know about their mass transit system, that's impressive!

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...