Dismal Charlotte

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Some seek the new. Some seek the classic. I seek the middle child of architecture, the unloved, the forgettable (if only), the record of a damaged history, a fear of human eye. No parking structures or big boxes as they are brutal failures by design.

This could be titled Jail or Not Jail though there are no photos of jail.

This may disappear at some point. The trees have a stark modern appearance and look like shadows. How this escaped tagging I will never know.

This was an office building. Vacant and rightly so.

The front side of this building is no better though because the front is the public face it scores lower than this side, if you can imagine. One of the worst examples known to me. Thus a winner.

In the institutional category I present: The red sign sums perfectly this structure. This is the wrong way.

This building was designed to use lighting and body heat for a substantial part of the building heat (as I was told). Thus more artificial heat intensive lighting and less natural light.

Same building, all sides equally emetic.

What is this? 

They did "something" here

if anyone has photos to add to this please do so. 

Architecture clients from the 1960's have MUCH to answer for. This is your Urban Planet. Cherish it.

I can't speak for all of it, but data centers don't need windows, they need security. As for the narrow windows found in the others, it was the 1970s and there was an energy crisis. A lot of buildings like these exist globally because windows equaled heat or a/c loss. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1