I73/I74

Guest donaltopablo

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 8 months later...

Actually Michigan and Ohio have dropped out of the project for now. Michigan dropped out in June 2001, and Ohio before that. There are not enough funds to build it right now, and there isn't enough demand yet to warrant building another interstate. The remaining funds MDOT had for the project went towards improving the US 127 & US 223 Corridors, the roads which I-73 would've followed on its route from Jackson, MI to Toledo, OH. It will probably get built in Michigan, it just might be another 20 years. Michigan is a so-called donor state for road funding. It gets less road funding than just about every other state (actually I believe it is 49th in the amount of road money that they get from the ferderal government). Ohio is also a donor state. So there isn't exactly money to build new roads right now.

I'm not sure about the other states. I'm assuming NC, SC, VA & WV are still on board with the project. The entire length will eventually be completed from Jackson, MI to South Carolina...it'll just take about 20 years. It took MDOT 20 years to complete I-69 (although it did finish I-69 before every other state did).

Virginia DOT is online for construction & has approved the following route:

approved_location_corridor_6_21_0111.jpg

As for SC it's still a bit of a mystery. Originally I-73 was to go to Charleston but opposition was intense there (it would have to go through sensitive habitats & through Mt Pleasant). The routing for 73 & 74 is nothing but bizarre at this point. Talk is to have I 74 take 90 degree turn at the border & be part of the Bays Parkway around Myrtle Beach. I 73 would follow a route to Marion & on to Conway. From there it would follow the Conway Bypass & reconnect with I 74 and/or continue south to Georgetown.

I'm not sure what the plans are for West Virginia - there is a new highway called the Coal King Parkway that could be upsized to interstate status. This would take I 73 - 74 as far as the Ohio River. There 74 would hypothetically go west to Cincinnatti & 73 would provide Columbus a new north south freeway to Toledo. It's also possible Kentucky might get in the act & have the freeway go through that state to Cincinnatti - that state views this project along with the new I 66 as economic developers.

But the first portions to be built (besides the freeway segments that NC is building south of Asheboro & is already I-73/74) will be in NC & VA. SC & WV will come in much later. Then it will depend on OH.

Thanks for the update. It is my understanding that Michigan and Ohio will complete I-73 in the future. Not that I want them to...the last thing we need is yet another freeway to create even more sprawl.

I've heard that 73 is to be extended to Myrtle Beach, so that first map is a bit confusing.

It shouldn't be - I'll show you on this hastily prepared map.

SCNC_I7374.jpg

It is something like this - 73 goes due south to Myrtle Beach & 74 cuts over to Myrtle Beach (rather than Wilmington) & possibly on to Georgetown & Charleston (if they ever want it).

Thanks for the info; I've always wondered about the current I-73 and I-74 on my map that goes from Greensboro to the middle of nowhere in North Carolina - not only is it rather strange to see an Interstate designation for such a short road but also the multiplex for the entire length I thought.

Still from the second map I'd seriously doubt that there will be demand for 2 branches to the Myrtle Beach area (one to the actual city and another at the state border), one of them should go to Wilmington perhaps at least. And besides, why are so many people straying away from Myrtle Beach just because it doesn't have an Interstate - it's connected by US Hwy. 17, a 4-laner on the coast and another one (501 or something like that) out of I-20 which is also 4 lanes, plus SC 22, a bypass freeway.

Still from the second map I'd seriously doubt that there will be demand for 2 branches to the Myrtle Beach area (one to the actual city and another at the state border), one of them should go to Wilmington perhaps at least. And besides, why are so many people straying away from Myrtle Beach just because it doesn't have an Interstate - it's connected by US Hwy. 17, a 4-laner on the coast and another one (501 or something like that) out of I-20 which is also 4 lanes, plus SC 22, a bypass freeway.

First of all, I wouldn't put it past anyone to bulid two Interstates to Myrtle Beach. They would be well used. However, I agree that it is stupid. I woud rather see 74 go to Wilmington.

That map of 73 is exactly what I had pictured.

I still think they should extend I-20 though.

The only change I would make on the 73 route would be to shift it down to Florence. That would open it up to travel from I-20 and solve that problem. 73 would not connect all the way to Myrtle Beach as there simply is no were to bring an Interestate into the city. Instead, it will connect to the Carolina's Byways Parkway which is kind of a loop going around Mrytle Beach that connects North MB to Murrels Inlet (between Surfside and Pawley's Island on that map)

I completely agree with your changes.

I had forgotten about that train. I hope that works out well. Maybe it will boost the hotel business in Conway for those who would rahter have cheap rates and commute to the beach.

Archived