Baby Bi-Lo site redevelopment downtown

gman430

• gman430 changed the title to Baby Bi-Lo site redevelopment downtown

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

PDFfiller - Park and Main site plan concept_Apr 27 2023.pdf - Over 450k sqft total, with just over 16k sqft of retail. I wish there was a bit more retail space included and/or something like an urban Target that has been discussed. 

Developer to hold community meeting at the Bobby Pearse Center June 6th from 6pm-8pm.

Edited by Gville2012
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Well...now we know that soil driller on site wasn't just for looks. ;) Wish it had more height but not surprised it doesn't due to the new zoning law and what is allowed here. 

More height would logical as it's only a block from the Landmark, but the boxyness of this (and so many of the other projects) is nauseating. This is way better than an empty parking lot and helps with infill. I would be fine with 4-6 stories but there is no reason it can't be more creative; these boxes are so ugly and boring.

(Cue monten saying I'm welcome to put my own money up for something nicer :lol:)

If they start the approval process prior passing of the new zoning they can choose to go forward under the existing zoning but being a multi-family project and its separate review process it is also possible that the new zoning made more sense for them.  Also, something to keep in mind, this site has a creek running under the parking lot and this has been a hinderance for this site in the past.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Gville2012 said:

PDFfiller - Park and Main site plan concept_Apr 27 2023.pdf - Over 450k sqft total, with just over 16k sqft of retail. I wish there was a bit more retail space included and/or something like an urban Target that has been discussed. 

Developer to hold community meeting at the Bobby Pearse Center June 6th from 6pm-8pm.

Thanks for sharing this!  The site was residential (my family owned the site) before the Bi-Lo was built so it’s interesting to see it becoming residential again.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

I guess I just don't understand the restrictions. This is a block from the Landmark, how can a six story building be too much?

Did they happen to say anything about the architecture?

To be fair, it's also a block from historic, two-story-dominated historic districts of East Park and Heritage. It also sits down in a hole. I think anyone who wishes to see Greenville's skyline grow would be frustrated to see any legitimate height placed at such a low point. But, that's just my take. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

I guess I just don't understand the restrictions. This is a block from the Landmark, how can a six story building be too much?

Did they happen to say anything about the architecture?

It doesn’t matter. It won’t get built anyways. Just like everything else downtown the project will go through about 548 delays before we see the site get put up for sale again. When is the Kimpton going to start construction? :D 

Edited by gman430

7 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

To be fair, it's also a block from historic, two-story-dominated historic districts of East Park and Heritage. It also sits down in a hole. I think anyone who wishes to see Greenville's skyline grow would be frustrated to see any legitimate height placed at such a low point. But, that's just my take. 

Agreed. I love that old neighborhood  with it's older homes bordered by W. Park/ Atwood and Townes.  IMO it would be a shame to put some tall building there overshadowing it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, vistatiger said:

Agreed. I love that old neighborhood  with it's older homes bordered by W. Park/ Atwood and Townes.  IMO it would be a shame to put some tall building there overshadowing it. 

This site is EXACTLY where a taller and dense building should go. It is down in a whole. It wouldn't rise above the NOMA Terrace units even if it were allowed to go 6 stories (which it isn't).  The 3rd or 4th floor will be the first to rise above the Academy Street bridge.  The Municipal Court building site (which is on the market) can have any height the DRB will allow. 

This is the third or fourth contract on the property. it has A LOT of challenges, one of which is the creek easement that runs right thru the middle of it.  

40 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

This site is EXACTLY where a taller and dense building should go. It is down in a whole. It wouldn't rise above the NOMA Terrace units even if it were allowed to go 6 stories (which it isn't).  The 3rd or 4th floor will be the first to rise above the Academy Street bridge.  The Municipal Court building site (which is on the market) can have any height the DRB will allow. 

Personally, I'm not saying that 6-8 stories would be inappropriate. However, saying that you should be able to replicate the size of the Landmark building simply because you're 'a block away' would produce a strange dynamic, IMO.  There's also a HUGE different between being at the corner of Main/Academy versus being at the corner of Park/Townes -- a distinction that nobody is making in this conversation.