North Hills (shopping center at Pelham/East North/291 intersection)

PuppiesandKittens

I drove by this center, which used to have a Fresh Market and a Bi-Lo, and before that had a Walmart, and was surprised to see that it has large vacancies.  The center’s website lists a Sprouts grocery store, but it’s not there.

Perhaps this center needs to be redeveloped?  It would make a good location for a Target.

8 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

I drove by this center, which used to have a Fresh Market and a Bi-Lo, and before that had a Walmart, and was surprised to see that it has large vacancies.  The center’s website lists a Sprouts grocery store, but it’s not there.

Perhaps this center needs to be redeveloped?  It would make a good location for a Target.

Are you sure there was Walmart at North Hills?  I don't remember that. Maybe it was a Sky City or Rose's.  There was an Ingle's across the street on that block at one point I thought. I'm surprised Food Lion did not take over that location from Bi-Lo when they announced the locations they were acquiring.

Edited by vistatiger

23 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

Are you sure there was Walmart at North Hills?  I don't remember that. Maybe it was a Sky City or Rose's.  There was an Ingle's across the street on that block at one point I thought. I'm surprised Food Lion did not take over that location from Bi-Lo when they announced the locations they were acquiring.

It was Rose's.

It was a WalMart because I literally grew up behind that shopping center and I’m an old 40 something year old beotch now GTFO my lawn. I can ask my parents when it closed but I do remember being a kid in the carriage there so it was open at least until 84-85.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jarvismj said:

It was a WalMart because I literally grew up behind that shopping center and I’m an old 40 something year old beotch now GTFO my lawn. I can ask my parents when it closed but I do remember being a kid in the carriage there so it was open at least until 84-85.

Yes, you are right.  It was definitely a Walmart, where Bi-Lo was.

There was a Charleston-based chain called Edward’s that had stores there and at Bell Tower Mall.  Walmart bought the chain (its name had changed to something else in the interim).

Edited to add: The Walmart at the mall in Easley was also an Edward’s that was acquired by Walmart.

Edited by PuppiesandKittens

8 hours ago, jarvismj said:

According to Walmart's Wiki page they did not even expand into the southeast until the 80's   The first Walmart I remember on that side of town in that era was the one on Lauren's Road where the Pottery is now.   

1 minute ago, vistatiger said:

According to Walmart's Wiki page they did not even expand into the southeast until the 80's   The first Walmart I remember on that side of town in that era was the one on Lauren's Road where the Pottery is now.   

It was definitely a Walmart.  I did some research and in 1977, Edward’s was acquired by “Kuhn’s-Big K” and in 1981, Walmart acquired Kuhn’s-Big K.”  Maybe the Greenville News has a story about it, if it has archives online.  The Bell Tower store was long gone by then but I clearly recall going to the East North Street Walmart.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

It was definitely a Walmart.  I did some research and in 1977, Edward’s was acquired by “Kuhn’s-Big K” and in 1981, Walmart acquired Kuhn’s-Big K.”  Maybe the Greenville News has a story about it, if it has archives online.  The Bell Tower store was long gone by then but I clearly recall going to the East North Street Walmart.

I did some research too and you had asked about Walmart being there on another forum and Carolina Knight over there responded North Hills opened  around 1975 and  it was anchored by Rose's and Winn Dixie prior to Bi-Lo.  One other interesting note  I also found on Rose's wiki page was that  Lewis Plaza had one of the original Rose's stores here too.  

Rose's back then was not the Rose's you see today on Wade Hampton. They had some really large stores back then similar to Walmart/Kmart.   I remember the store in Greenwood was big, had an electronics department and a short order grill with counter seating. 

Edited by vistatiger
  • Like 2

Whatever else may be the case, the westward-facing side of that center (i.e., E. North to your left as you walk out the door, and the old Fresh Market off to your right across the parking lot) was most certainly a Rose's in the 70's and into the early 80's. I shopped there frequently when I was in college and before. It may have been replaced by WalMart before the latter went gargantuan. If so, that happened after I moved away.

Incidentally, there are still Roses around the CLT area, but they are a pale shadow of what they were back in the day.

And yes, Gman430, my memory goes back into the 60's, though I suspect Cabelagent's goes back even farther.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Seems like business had really faded at those two Bi-Lo's over the years.  Food Lion probably took a look at the numbers on those two as well as Rutherford Rd /291 and with the New Harris Teeter coming to North  Point  they passed.  

Speaking of E. North  how is work progressing on the new Harris Teeter and HT Gas further out past those  former vacant Bi-Lo's?  Is it opening this year?

Edited by vistatiger

1 hour ago, vistatiger said:

Seems like business had really faded at those two Bi-Lo's over the years.  Food Lion probably took a look at the numbers on those two as well as Rutherford Rd /291 and with the New Harris Teeter coming to North  Point  they passed.  

Speaking of E. North  how is work progressing on the new Harris Teeter and HT Gas further out past those  former vacant Bi-Lo's?  Is it opening this year?

I was told from inside source the 2 buildngs were in such bad shape is the reason FL passed on them. 

• 7 months later...
On 12/21/2023 at 12:27 AM, apaladin said:

Yes the same Capri’s people have partnered with the current 4 Aces owners. So yes it will become a Capri’s from yesteryear. 

Interesting. I know they still have locations in Easley, Greenwood and Boiling Springs.  Seems like there was some talk when Woodruff Rd closed for the shopping center addition  they could possibly resurface somewhere else one day so here we go I guess.

Edited by vistatiger

• 2 months later...

I'm in Greenville this weekend. The shell that used to be BiLo is quite interesting. They took out the entire second floor and it is literally a shell. What happened, or the better question is what will be where Checkers / Liquid Highway used to be? It looks to be better built based on what I saw while smoking outside Starbucks.